Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I almost got into a fight with one of them a few months ago. Chambers Street is near the courts, so all the people that get arrested and released from the Tombs come in the train station and beg for a swipe to get home.
The least they can do is give these guys a one way metrocard to get home.

Quote:
Well this dude asked me and I said "No, I don't have it." So when I swiped and went through, he yelled, "But you got 45 dollars on there!" I stopped for a second and was about to turn around to say "So what it's my f-ing 45 dollars not yours," but then I remembered I have a family at home, and went on my way. He's lucky I have a family to support.
Yeah, I would have felt the same way. Do NOT clock MY money.

Dude is better off jumping the turnstiles and taking his chances or walking to another station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
How are you gonna tell me what I can and cannot do with my unlimited card???
I just did! I'll do it again! I will!
Quote:
If I want to let someone go through on MY card, I will.
Of course, you will. No one tells Marilyn what to do! Not even the MTA!
MTA/New York City Transit - Unlimited Ride MetroCard Conditions of Use
"Cannot be used by or transferred to another person until the completion of a trip for which entry was obtained."
Quote:
I, honestly can't see HOW this bothers YOU or anyone else.
I don't think honesty has anything to do with it. Perhaps "frankly".
Quote:
There's something in this city we calling "Minding Your Business". It seems that many people on here have a hard time doing that.
Some people step over bodies and don't help the injured. I have a hard time doing that, as well.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Some people step over bodies and don't help the injured. I have a hard time doing that, as well.
I can't tell the difference between a dead body or a homeless person laid out in the street. Can you?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
I can't tell the difference between a dead body or a homeless person laid out in the street. Can you?
I've had occasion to check. Eventually, the EMTs confirm the absence of a pulse.
You walk by, or perhaps stop and gawk.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I've had occasion to check. Eventually, the EMTs confirm the absence of a pulse.
You walk by, or perhaps stop and gawk.
And record it on their cell phones to show people at happy hour, Or upload to youtube so they can cheer at the number of hits they get. Ugh.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
If I have an unlimited metrocard ride and am near the end of the card's expiration date, then I'll swipe my card for them.;

I'm not bothered by them asking. It's annoying, but it's a minor way to help someone out.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,600 times
I do it if I have unlimited especially if its an older person. Doesn't cost me anything to help someone out who may be suffering from hard times?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Lets all sit under a tree and sign Kombaya. It's begging. Where do you have to go that's so important that you don't have money to get to??? Please. I'll be damned if I ever beg anybody in the street for anything and I don't care what happens to me. I'll find a way to get it (legally) without begging people.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,600 times
Yeah, Sherlock. It's begging. Some people don't mind helping out certain beggars with a free swipe.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
If I have an unlimited I'll usually volunteer to swipe the person in as they're pleading with everyone exiting. Costs me nothing and there's always a decent chance they really do need the assistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City