Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I]If you're an unlimited ride card holder there may be some consequences for that.
Like what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Like what?
Like the fare going up sooner rather than later for people who actually pay for their metrocards.

The people who always get free swipes from others' cards don't have to worry about an increase in the fare. Free plus free equals free.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Those people that always asks for swipes make me worried that if I one day loose my bag or wallet and have nothing to get home, that no one will give me a swipe because they think I'm scamming the system.
True. I had a dumb day a few months ago where I left my wallet at home and had a MetroCard good for a single fare in my pocket... Luckily I scrounged up change for another fare to get me home, but it makes me wonder if someone would have willingly given me a swipe.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Like what?
I really don't know how the MTA could deter this. I do know that reduced card holders will lose that privilege if caught swiping in anyone but themselves.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
It probably isn't illegal if you have a pay per ride card. If you're an unlimited ride card holder there may be some consequences for that.

I thought there was a waiting period once you swipe your unlimited card? For example, you swipe it for a ride and it won't allow you to swipe for a ride for 15 mimutes?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I thought there was a waiting period once you swipe your unlimited card? For example, you swipe it for a ride and it won't allow you to swipe for a ride for 15 mimutes?
There is a waiting period of 18 minutes but only at the same station. If you swipe, ride to your destination and then are asked to be swiped through as you are exiting after your ride, then the stranger-swipe should work, even if your ride was only 5 minutes, because it's a different station than the one you entered with your swipe.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
In a way these people are just doing what they know how to do and think is perfectly normal. NYC has a lot of people like this. They are not rich by any means but they are not destitute either and they know how to work the system to where most of their basic needs are met through government assistance. If they can finnagle a train ride, why not? They don't even blink, it's almost like a reflex...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
I've thought about saying "give me a dollar for it" and split the benefit, but the response will invariably be the same- they have so many people they can ask, they will ignore and move on.
Which brings us to the people who sell swipes for about a buck, there are many of these also.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
True. I had a dumb day a few months ago where I left my wallet at home and had a MetroCard good for a single fare in my pocket... Luckily I scrounged up change for another fare to get me home, but it makes me wonder if someone would have willingly given me a swipe.
I was on the lirr once when a young lady was sitting next to me who had forgotten her wallet. The conductor let her go but she had no metro card or money for the subway. She asked if she could borrow a few bucks from me and she would return it if i gave her my address. I always carry a metro card with a couple of fares in case i forgot my lirr ticket/metrocard so i simply gave her my spare metro. I declined her offer to pay me back because she was obviosly a regular commuter and noy a nyc skell.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Why make plans to go out and take the train if one cannot afford or even consider buying a metrocard. It's obnoxious...
Absolutely! But on the other hand, obnoxious people seldom care how others see them. That's because they're also completely self-centered. They do what they want to do, until they're prevented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City