Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If de balsio wanted to lay his hands on them, I am pretty sure that he knows of some legal basis to support what he was going to do. He is not any competent leader but he is likely much book smarter than most NY-CD posters who think otherwise
That's doubtful. The amount of time he spends sleeping, I find it hard to believe that. Still, this is just a part of his continuing and ridiculous enforcement efforts (or lack thereof) in an attempt to appeal to the fringe left. But you don't need to be "book smart" to realize the failure of de Blasio's policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If de balsio wanted to lay his hands on them, I am pretty sure that he knows of some legal basis to support what he was going to do. He is not any competent leader but he is likely much book smarter than most NY-CD posters who think otherwise
There isn't a "legal" way which is why de Boob is frothing at the mouth and loosing sleep.

Rudy G would have unleashed the NYPD upon the women on some trumped up "quality of life" charges. Which not only would have been dismissed in court but expose the City to legal action. Once the latter occurred the City's legal department would have been instructed to wear down the cases in court to avoid any large payout. Bill de Boob is another matter.

The guy routinely hands out tens of millions in legal settlements so isn't going to bother going down that route. Yes, you can bet de Boob has had the City's legal department and NYPD combing every law possible but has been likely schooled there isn't anything to be done. Other than the mayor's most idiotic idea to date; tear up the pedestrian malls. That is like burning down your house because there are rats in the cellars.

Mr. Big Shot Liberal-Progressive-Democrat mayor is caught in a trap his own mouth created and many are just loving seeing him attempt to squirm free.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

The Daily News had the idea of designating Times Square as
"parkspace"
That's good conservative thinking for you: Decide what you want and then change the language to suit your preference.
"Park" has long had a meaning that people understand, even if developers or newspapers don't.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That's good conservative thinking for you: Decide what you want and then change the language to suit your preference.
"Park" has long had a meaning that people understand, even if developers or newspapers don't.
And then insist on clinging to the position that language is transparent.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
If you think I see those women as victims, I don't. They're kind of sex workers. While I do not pay for sex myself (I fail to see the point) I see their choice as a legitimate one.

I once met a gal who was a trained botanist. We had a nice convo about plants, I'm something of an amateur naturalist. But for a living, she was an exotic dancer at the Mitchell Bros. Theater. (this is San Fran) She could make more in a night stripping than she could in a week as a botanist. Her choice.

I do think that such work should be regulated, as the Dutch do, for the protection of everyone concerned.
A trained botanist makes more and lives better than a stripper. A good night or two does not sustain a career. Also people lie out of their butts. Did you see proof she is a botanist. Where did she get her degrees from?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
If you think I see those women as victims, I don't. They're kind of sex workers. While I do not pay for sex myself (I fail to see the point) I see their choice as a legitimate one.

I once met a gal who was a trained botanist. We had a nice convo about plants, I'm something of an amateur naturalist. But for a living, she was an exotic dancer at the Mitchell Bros. Theater. (this is San Fran) She could make more in a night stripping than she could in a week as a botanist. Her choice.

I do think that such work should be regulated, as the Dutch do, for the protection of everyone concerned.
I wouldn't quite call these women sex workers. They are right near that border though and could easily engage in sex work if they wanted to.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Note, what the women are doing is clearly illegal, as the Court of Appeals ruling that legalized going topless for females explicitly stated that the ruling doesn't cover going topless for commercial gain. So this is ultimately a matter of enforcement, as the NYPD/City have a legal right to stop what the women are doing; of course, the women would likely protest such a move by going topless in Times Square just for the fun of it, but that wouldn't last too long. Still, as long as the law is not going to be enforced, and enforced in a gender-neutral manner (i.e. there's no uproar over the Naked Cowboy asking for money for taking pictures with him), then efforts by the City/de Blasio to discriminate in enforcing this issue should fail.
The thing is they aren't really topless. They are covered in paint which is pretty much the equivalent of wearing a revealing top.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A trained botanist makes more and lives better than a stripper. A good night or two does not sustain a career. Also people lie out of their butts. Did you see proof she is a botanist. Where did she get her degrees from?
She seemed to know her business. She knew what a Ruby Chalice Clarkia was. Very nice flower, btw. Saw it growing while hiking in Marin Co, CA.

Makes more? Somehow I doubt it. As for living better, I'd say she made a poor choice. I'd give up a lot in the way of money to do what I loved. I don't see how any woman could love taking off her clothes for a bunch of slavering pervos. (She claimed that Hunter S Thompson was a regular) Perhaps she got off on it in some way. Dunno, I'm male.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
There is always some hypocrite trying to stop other people from getting money. Next thing we will hear about is a gang of law enforcers jumping on one topless woman and choking her to death.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Crime-Ridden 125th St. Ignored by Times Sq. Breast-Obsessed Mayor: Critics - East Harlem - DNAinfo.com New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City