Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I like DeBlasio but hate his stance in combating crime. He's the most passive-aggessive mayor this city has ever known
Perhaps it is more a "press" problem, that he is doing things we don't know about ?

I don't especially like him, I have become intrigued by the fact that politically and ethically unacceptable people seem to hate him. People a thinking person might consider "the problem," as it were.

This is encouraging me to reconsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
What I find interesting is most black voters approve of de Blasio as mayor, around 64%, white voters approval 32%, and Hispanic voters approval rate is 48%. Search Results Poll - August 5, 2015 - Cuomo, Stringer Top De Blasio | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Since the population of NYC is only 33% white, it is very likely he will be elected again regardless of decline in quality of life issues, increases in violent crime in minority neighborhoods or patrols by Guardian Angels.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
What I find interesting is most black voters approve of de Blasio as mayor, around 64%, white voters approval 32%, and Hispanic voters approval rate is 48%. Search Results Poll - August 5, 2015 - Cuomo, Stringer Top De Blasio | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Since the population of NYC is only 33% white, it is very likely he will be elected again regardless of decline in quality of life issues, increases in violent crime in minority neighborhoods or patrols by Guardian Angels.
It depends who shows up to vote. Voter turnout has been atrociously low. If the vote really comes out to boot De Blasio out it's possible he'll lose. Right now I don't see anyone who would galvanize the republican/fed-up vote though.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-19-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 04:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
I remember the Angels' prominence when Dinkins was mayor, and were a response to his lawless policies. I guess the Angels are needed again to protect the public from another feckless politician.

From what I've read from many sources and heard from friends, shootings up, murders up, crime up in CP, homeless all over the streets, subway system a mess, etc.

De Blasio has been just great for the City. And no one deserves his policies more than those who voted for him. And they will have him 2+ more years. Hope the Angels decide to stick around all that time. They are getting long in the tooth.
From what you read and heard, meaning you know nothing about NYC or the situation here and are not qualified to speak or post on the subject.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It depends who shows up to vote. Voter turnout has been atrociously low. If the vote really comes out to boot De Blasio out it's possible he'll lose. Right now I don't see anyone who would galvanize the republican/fed-up vote though.
No Republicans ran since Giuliani. Bloomberg was a Democrat who switched parties to get Giuliani's endorsement. He was a Republican for awhile, then left the party to become an independent.

Lhota was from the Giuliani administration, but Giuliani's name means very little these days. The city does not have enough of a white working class to get a Giuliani in power again.

The working class here is predominately Hispanic, Asian, and Black.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Homicides rarely happen randomly. Still, the answer to your question is easy. Most homicides in this country/city occur via firearm, specifically handgun. Most in this city and elsewhere are gangbangers going after each other, with some spillover that takes the lives of innocents. By taking aggressive action that helps to ensure that guns are being taken off the street, the police help to ensure that these individuals no longer have easy access to the tools used to commit these crimes. Guns allow people to be cowardly. Take away guns from the bad guys and you'll see less aggression/homicide as its one thing to shoot someone from behind and flee, but its another thing completely to confront someone without the "comfort" of a lethal weapon, which stop and frisk, etc., help to get off the street. But the results of S&F and other policing techniques speak for themselves.
No they don't speak for themselves. Stop and frisk didn't make the city's worst neighborhoods safe places to be.

Policing alone cannot clean up those disasters. Things such as birth control, further reforms in social services, education, and mental health will be needed.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:15 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No they don't speak for themselves. Stop and frisk didn't make the city's worst neighborhoods safe places to be.

Policing alone cannot clean up those disasters. Things such as birth control, further reforms in social services, education, and mental health will be needed.
S&F did help to make the city's worst neighborhoods safe(r) places to be. Police won't solve the problem at the root level, but they can make living much more comfortable for everyone through the proper policies, etc.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Perhaps it is more a "press" problem, that he is doing things we don't know about ?

I don't especially like him, I have become intrigued by the fact that politically and ethically unacceptable people seem to hate him. People a thinking person might consider "the problem," as it were.

This is encouraging me to reconsider.
of course they hate him, he's too liberal for them

Old 08-20-2015, 01:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,169 times
1. The Gay KKK is against De Blasio because he is Latin reminiscent and his family are African decent, and the fact he defended the public school system.

2. Citizen patrol over twenty years? So what. 2001 hit and where was Citizen patrol. We need citizen patrol period and down with the patriot act.

3. All the Mayor did was try and preserve the public schools, and show some respect to the people of NYC. Those two shootings ( where the cop pull his gun out ) exactly shows what is right and what is wrong with this nation. The Mayor did nothing wrong to anybody at all.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:

You got that right. He will likely be reelected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City