Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:46 PM

624 posts, read 983,240 times

Advertisements

Do any of you go through summer without air conditioner?

More specifically, I want to to try cooling my small studio apartment with a strong window fan at night. During the day when I'm at work if its sunny I'll close all the windows and curtains to try to minimize how much the apartment gets heated up by the sun. At night, I'll turn on the window fan to blow air out. The hot air inside gets pushed out and replaced by the cool night air outside.

Has anyone tried something like this in a small NYC apartment and been successful or ultimately failed and had to put the AC back in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM

279 posts, read 521,930 times
I don't use a fan or AC in my place (by choice) (an advantage of not living in the concrete jungle). There's a big tree right by my terrace that keeps things nice and cool. The only time I need anything is when it's 95+ outside and that only happens for a short period of time. Last night for example, I came in and it was a little hot, so I opened the terrace door and it cooled down nicely. Had to close it before going to sleep.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:04 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Try a ceiling fan....or one of those DIY air conditioners you can build on Youtube for about $8 worth of materials.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
I could get my place down to a more or less sleepable temperature if it weren't for 1. mosquites and 2. the local neerdowells slapping down dominoes, hootin & hollerin, gunning the engines of their sport bikes, shooting off flare guns, blasting reggaeton from boom car stereos and what not. The noise makes closing the window mandatory, which makes AC a must.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:10 PM

279 posts, read 521,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I could get my place down to a more or less sleepable temperature if it weren't for 1. mosquites and 2. the local neerdowells slapping down dominoes, hootin & hollerin, gunning the engines of their sport bikes, shooting off flare guns, blasting reggaeton from boom car stereos and what not. The noise makes closing the window mandatory, which makes AC a must.
Hootin & Hollerin... Let me guess Dominican Republic#1 - Washington Heights or Dominican Republic#2 - Inwood.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
I don't use an AC and it can be hell on some days/nights. Even though we have ceiling fans throughout the house, there comes a point where nothing but hot air is being circulated. Still, when you're directly under the ceiling fan (or in front of a floor fan) it does make a difference I guess.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
I use to not have an AC and would just open all my windows. Sadly my allergies are now too bad and I can't open any of my windows and have to use an AC.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:40 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
For quite a few years I didn't own an a/c. Now that I have one I don't use all the time and mainly use a floor fan. I only use the a/c when there are a few days straight when it is above 90 degrees F with high humidity. But even then I do not sleep at night with the a/c on as it gets too cold for me. So far this year I haven't needed to turn on the a/c.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I could not live without air conditioning in this climate.
BUT, when I was paying my own electricity, I got by a lot with an upscale 20 inch fan blowing into my apartment and rest of opening sealed tight with a piece of plywood. The window in another room was kept open.

This worked fine as long as the evening temperature was going to stay below 75 degrees. I got a good airflow through the place. I was also living right on the Hudson so it cooled a bit at night,

Now, my AC is included in the Maintenance payment, and the Cityy is noisy so it is AC set at 73 all Summer and windows sealed. I gave away the fan.

But anyone who is paying his own $.32/Kwhr to Con-Ed should learn how to use a fan properly and the AC only when really needed.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:21 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
you can get a nice cheap AC at PC Richards. I tried do it without an AC but i sweat a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City