Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times

Advertisements

Agreed Songbird....and there are alot of grassroots and community organizations that are driving the changes that are making a difference. However, there are those that believe that unless the projects somehow can change, there is no point in doing anything, there is no value in trying, and everything we do and/or accomplish is ultimately a waste of time and has 0 impact. This is where we usually differ...as I see the improvements as a step in the right directions, whereas others see them as pointless....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 AM

182 posts, read 436,229 times
I am not a fan of pigeonholing an entire borough, but if you want to be safe in the Bronx, just don't go south of the Harlem River. The north Bronx is REAL safe.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM

well you are not one for pidgeonholing, but you seem to be doing a darn good job at it.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:45 PM

182 posts, read 436,229 times
I know, i know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
well you are not one for pidgeonholing, but you seem to be doing a darn good job at it.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Just curious. I only been to the Bronx a few times in my life, as I usually try my best to avoid it like the plague.
Ummm 1.6 million people live in the bronx so it is not a total slum that everyone thinks it is. I have never lived there but I have there to visit friends and the parts we were at I did not think they were bad. Plus the most popular sports team in America plays in the Bronx and they are also building the new Yankee Stadium and there are fine collegiate institutions along with the Botanical Gardens. Just letting you know.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcladue View Post
I am not a fan of pigeonholing an entire borough, but if you want to be safe in the Bronx, just don't go south of the Harlem River. The north Bronx is REAL safe.
Ummm, isn't "south of the Harlem River" Manhattan?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
the harlem River runs east-west by Marble hill/Kingsbridge rd briefly before turning north-south, so what you may mean is don't go south of Kingsbridge Rd. That may or may not be accurate since some areas n of Kingsbridge are not too safe either

if you go east of the Harlem River after it turns north-south you are then in the regular bronx that becomes the south bronx

the term north bronx is very broad. a lot of the north bronx is not safe such as the northeast bronx and some of the northwest bronx

perhaps you mean the northwest bronx like riverdale and kingsbridge are the only safe areas

Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
With all the talk about North, South, Northeast, Northwest I got turned around and around and landed in Mott Haven, LOL......I'm only kidding guys.

Just a little senior humor.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcladue View Post
Oh please. Kingsbridge rd (if you consider it north) is real bad. Attracts muggers just like it's southern friend Fordham rd. Again depending if you think there north or not the 190's (194th,196th) are just as bad as anything south of it. Furthermore, as you get into Wakefield in the 200's by white plains rd...it's sickening the condition it's in. DRUGS galore. Again as bad as anything south of it. In fact, I felt more intimidated on 227th and WPR, then I did on 149th and 3rd. Now to the extreme north, you have the BIGGEST HOUSING PROJECTS in the Bronx......Edewald. Plus you have Boston secor, Gun hill etc all up north.

There really isn't such thing as south Bronx anymore. While in general the areas up north have LESS hot spots the fact remains that it's not safe at all. It's not 1960 anymore were crime was limited to Mott Haven.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 AM

Interesting point SuperMario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City