Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So you'd pay more to live in Bushwick over Ridgewood? Gotta be crazy. But then again you live in Bed-Stuy. That's the bubble of all bubbles.
For several years I owned and lived in a co op in a very safe and convenient Pelham Parkway. I gladly paid more to buy in trendy and up and coming Bed Stuy. For my demo and life stage (younger, unmarried, no kids and "trendy"), Bed Stuy is clearly a better fit. Is that really hard to understand? You have a different frame of mind and that's influenced by your age and life stage. Don't knock other people's choices based on their frame of mind and life stage. And I didn't buy in a bubble nor to flip, so get your side commentary straight.

Also the drop in rent prices for Bushwick is obviously due to increased inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
is this $2485 to $2090/month drop in rent stated in the article for studios?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
For several years I owned and lived in a co op in a very safe and convenient Pelham Parkway. I gladly paid more to buy in trendy and up and coming Bed Stuy. For my demo and life stage (younger, unmarried, no kids and "trendy"), Bed Stuy is clearly a better fit. Is that really hard to understand? You have a different frame of mind and that's influenced by your age and life stage. Don't knock other people's choices based on their frame of mind and life stage. And I didn't buy in a bubble nor to flip, so get your side commentary straight.

Also the drop in rent prices for Bushwick is obviously due to increased inventory.
Ridgewood is plenty trendy. You'd find more to do in Ridgewood these days than Bed-Stuy. I don't know much about Pelham Pkwy, but I do know its far away, whereas in Ridgewood and Bushwick, you can walk from one neighborhood to the other in a matter of seconds. Only difference is that the neighborhood gets cleaner, safer and more affordable once you cross into Queens. And its a more old school Brooklyn neighborhood than any neighborhood in Brooklyn itself.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Ridgewood is plenty trendy. You'd find more to do in Ridgewood these days than Bed-Stuy. I don't know much about Pelham Pkwy, but I do know its far away, whereas in Ridgewood and Bushwick, you can walk from one neighborhood to the other in a matter of seconds. Only difference is that the neighborhood gets cleaner, safer and more affordable once you cross into Queens. And its a more old school Brooklyn neighborhood than any neighborhood in Brooklyn itself.
Again, it is based on the individuals frame of mind, life stage, preferences, etc. Some people will just CHOOSE to live in Bushwick even if they can afford to live in Ridgewood. Stop trying to sell someone on an area they aren't interested in living. Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense to them. A great comparison that helped me understand this is my Westchester upbringing. For a long time I wondered why people would chose to raise a family in NYC when the suburbs are so close. You can buy a huge house with plenty of land, amazing public schools, all within a 30 minute commute to GCT in several towns in lower Westchester for under $1.5MM. Why on earth would anyone pay just as much money to buy a MUCH smaller co-op or condo in NYC especially when they have a family? NYC is dirtier, noiser, has higher crime , etc.

The answer is that it's because *IT IS* NYC and some people just prefer it for a whole host of other reasons despite all of those so called "negatives".

Also, Pelham Parkway isn't far away in you work in midtown east. There is an express 5 train that's 35-40 minutes during rush hour...

Last edited by jad2k; 09-14-2015 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 03:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
But I thought rents in NYC only went up? Maybe investing in that apartment next to that housing project in the Bronx wasn't such a good idea after all.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
How is Pelham Parkway (a bit of a derail I know). I've considered getting a cheap co-op by the 2, 5 Pelham Parkway stop in a couple of years, but I worry about longterm outlook of the neighborhood. Something about crime getting pushed out, which is somewhat inevitable. I go there every once in a while, but some insight from those who've lived there would be better.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
If you had the option to rent a 2 bedroom for $2500 in Bushwick vs $2000 in Ridgewood, which would you take?
Westchester Square, Bronx, same 2BR, at $500-1,000 cheaper!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:13 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Big unknown is just how much persons will pay to live "deep" into Brooklyn hipster status or not.

There have been several articles in the Sunday NYT RE section alone over the past few months about those priced out of "hot" Brooklyn but drew the line going further east. Harlem and upper Manhattan and other areas of NYC or even parts of Westchester or New Jersey become very attractive options once certain price points are reached.

Yes, there is a great need for housing out there, but much of it falls to households below those able to pay 2.5k per month for a studio or small one bedroom.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
You don't see any coffee shops or art studios around Myrtle and Knickerbocker.
Do you mean the ones that cater to white, hipster transplants only? Or the shops/studios that have been around for 25-30yrs and cater to the people that been living in the area for the same amount of time.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:03 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
If you had the option to rent a 2 bedroom for $2500 in Bushwick vs $2000 in Ridgewood, which would you take?
Neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City