Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
If you can actually prove otherwise, without resorting to your "feelings", go for it. Otherwise you're just blowing hot air.
Read any of the links provided. The NYPD have been CAUGHT fudging crime stats over and over again. This is no secret. What more proof do you need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM

372 posts, read 398,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Read any of the links provided. The NYPD have been CAUGHT fudging crime stats over and over again. This is no secret. What more proof do you need?
What does that have to do with the CURRENT crime stats?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with the CURRENT crime stats?
Again, all I'm saying is that "facts" arent actually "facts" when it comes to past, current or future crime stats as the NYPD has been caught over and over again fudging the stats".

Shootings/killings may in fact be down right now despite it not appearing so. All I know is that a wknd rarely passes by without news of multiple shootings/killings mainly in predominately black neighborhoods throughout this city.

Its to the point where when me and my wife are watching the news and it reports on a shooting/killing in a specific borough, We play the "guess where" game. I start by saying...."guarantee you this happened in either Brownsville, Flatbush or East NY". I'm usually right. Same for neighborhoods with shootings in Manhattan or the Bronx.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM

All I'm saying is personal anecdotes are not a valid substitute for legitimate data.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
The fact is fudging stats has been happening since the beginning of record keeping for crime stats. That said, it's probably hard to disregard dead bodies and shooting victims when chances are there's a hospital record, or family member that is tied to said person. Misdemeanors and minor felonies, possibly, but shootings and homicides are hard to fix... With that said, since DeBlasio has taken over (again, I can't reiterate this enough, I am not giving this man credit for anything), the city stats wise is at it's safest point in history. The reason why you hear about these things more often is that the news is choosing to report about it more often. In a city of 8 million plus, murders, shootings, violent crimes will happen all the time in different neighborhoods... Had the news been as proactive just a couple years ago, reporting on crime as they are now... Everyone would assume we were living back in the 90s.

It's all a matter of perspective. Ask yourself, if you were to shut off the news and just live your life, do you feel safer in this city 10 years ago or today? The answer should be obvious.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:58 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Considering the population of West Virginia is roughly a third of New York City that number is amazingly high.
Stop already. Please just stop with such foolishness. I would say there is more crime in East Ny, Brownsville and Highbridge then the entire state of West Virginia.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Louie, As of right now, Crime is still at record lows. For instance I was listening to old timers complain about my old area. "Murders are up 25%". Do you know what that means? This year that means there is 5 instead of 4. This was a pretty hot summer with very little rain. Cops were under constant assault and crime did not go up to record numbers. I understand the disdain for deblazio but the numbers don't back up record crime spikes.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Stop already. Please just stop with such foolishness. I would say there is more crime in East Ny, Brownsville and Highbridge then the entire state of West Virginia.
Crime is vague. Murder is specific. You can have a lot of crime and still have very few murders.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
"The rise in crime in the South Bronx began in the early 1950s, but by the 1960s, area of predominantly Hispanic and black concentrations had slipped into a state of seemingly perpetual violence, drug use, and gang warfare."

http://www.bronxhistoricalsociety.org/M.Roby.pdf

Why are we even discussing this? Send them to Rikers Island, build a wall, drop guns and let them have fun.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Crime is vague. Murder is specific. You can have a lot of crime and still have very few murders.
Nothing wrong with admitting your wrong? It's an anonymous message board. If your really bored, Try finding out where the majority of the 61 murders happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City