Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:08 PM

73 posts, read 57,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
There are PLENTY of churches and food banks to go to to get food.
I understand live happens and can change it any moment but the general idea of having children is don't if you can't provide for them. You can't expect other people or the government to fund them.

so it wouldnt be okay for someone who receives food stamps to go to a food bank would it?

because honestly you tell me 167 dollars for one month is truly enough to feed yourself?

holy hell it must be the water you're drinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
so it wouldnt be okay for someone who receives food stamps to go to a food bank would it?

because honestly you tell me 167 dollars for one month is truly enough to feed yourself?

Groceries for my family of 4 run me about $600 a month
So it's possible

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:

Anyone can go to a food bank.
To be honest you can eat well on a lot less than you think.
I don't spend a ton on groceries and I eat healthy and organic foods.
Its all the crap and processed stuff, that's costly.
I cook good healthy meals for probably somewhere around that amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Groceries for my family of 4 run me about $600 a month
So it's possible
And I bet no one is lacking and everyone is happy with what they are eating.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Anyone can go to a food bank.
To be honest you can eat well on a lot less than you think.
I don't spend a ton on groceries and I eat healthy and organic foods.
Its all the crap and processed stuff, that's costly.
I cook good healthy meals for probably somewhere around that amount.

And I bet no one is lacking and everyone is happy with what they are eating.
We're good. I don't buy organic stuff though. And I don't buy a lot of snacks.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 PM

653 posts, read 784,372 times
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Hahahahahaha!! I remember that episode.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Hahahahahaha!! I remember that episode.
Thats how I live my life haha

Old 09-30-2015, 03:23 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:

Plenty of persons on FS also go to food banks, have seen it on television news and other media. This is most true if the household has children as the monthly allotment usually just does not stretch the entire month.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:33 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
There are PLENTY of churches and food banks to go to to get food.
I understand live happens and can change it any moment but the general idea of having children is don't if you can't provide for them. You can't expect other people or the government to fund them.
Actually if you listen to news reports many food banks/churches are finding their food banks over subscribed and under stocked. Donations in both cash and excess food is down in many cases for a variety of reasons while the need has only increased.

As one has noted previously there has been a large uptick not just in NYC but all over of "dumpster" divers; persons digging through supermarket/shop garbage bags for food. Walking around the UES from evening into the night the avenues look like something out of a Charles Dickens novel. Hordes of persons milling around garbage bags doing their "grocery shopping".

Have written often that the Food Emporium on Third and 83rd has more persons outside going through the garbage than often paying customers.

The problem has gotten so bad many supermarkets have altered their rubbish disposal to discourage this sort of behavior. Many of the complaints come from resident's of buildings above these supermarkets/shops who are feed up with the noise, filth and general tone it sets seeing masses of persons digging through garbage in front of their building.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,920 times
You make $33,000 a year and you want us to pay for your food?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM

73 posts, read 57,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You make $33,000 a year and you want us to pay for your food?
when did i say myself? i am not a traffic enforcement agent but i know someone who is he only makes 29 thousand a year with having to pay rent having to pay utilities living in manhattan do you honestly think 29 thousand is enough to support yourself??

once again i pay taxes too you aren't the only one and i cannot stand people who act the way you do as i told another user you don't know someone's financial situation you have no idea whether i have to or whomever has to pay for a monthly medical insurance which runs you almost 300 a month,you have no idea if i or whomever has to support an ill family member.

you have plenty of people on food stamps who instead of buying actual food will sit there and cash them so don't judge someone who actually does need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City