Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,053 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts for one or the other? I'm going to be moving to either of the two mentioned and I have done immense goggling etc but said I'd see if you'd have any thoughts on one before the other!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:06 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Forest Hills is more classy neighborhood in my opinion than Astoria and has an LIRR station. But Astoria is closer to Manhattan and probably has more to offer a young single person.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 AM

89 posts, read 150,836 times
Both are great in their own way. It depends on what you're looking for. I think there are more restaurants and a "scene" in Astoria, whereas Forest Hills is more family oriented. Either way, I think both are great neighborhoods. Full disclosure, I live in Forest Hills but go out a lot in Astoria. Commuting wise, I'd say it's Astoria for the closer proximity to Manhattan, if that's a factor for you.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
To me, Astoria has a more city-like vibe. It's younger, hipper, more urban, has more new bars and restaurants, etc. Forest Hills is quieter and has a more suburban feel. However, one caveat -- Astoria is really huge, and there are some outlying areas that are really not close to the action at all. They are not close to the subway and not really close to that many places to go out. So it sort of depends where exactly you would end up.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM

32 posts, read 38,956 times
If you want a the better living and environment, I'm going to have to say forest hills. Astoria is a little more fast pace. Especiallyif you live by the Astoria Nycha Develoment. I'd pick forest hills if you ask me.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
I am going to concur with the other posters here.

Forrest Hills: A lot more family oriented, residential, a lot quieter, very beautiful neighborhood, more suburban. You can see some beautifuls homes and mansions in the Forrest Hills Garden area. A small shopping community (I am living in Forrest Hills at the moment). Despite what some may say its not terribly far from Manhattan in my opinion. The E goes express during the morning and afternoon hours and can get you into Manhattan within 30 minutes more or less. The E,F,R,M can get you to Forrest Hills.

Astoria: A lot more hip, artistic, many more young singles, a lot more parks, bars, restaurants, things to do and in closer proximity to Manhattan. Like Henna said, its a very vast area so there's areas of Astoria that can be very residential, family oriented, away from the action and pretty quiet. Steinway for instance; its very alive and has plenty of shops, bars and restaurants and "Hookah Lane" is situated there. However, I always noticed that on a Sunday night, Steinway seems to be completely dead. Its still a very convenient area. The N,Q,R,M and the E--to an extent--can get you to Astoria. I would also say Astoria is a lot more diverse. There's a lot of Mediterranean groups (Greeks and a lot of North Africans), Latin groups (South Americans, Dominicans), Irish just to name a few.

Overall, I love both areas and have no complaints and I am sure you would love either place you live. Astoria offers a plethora of things to do, eat, see, very close to Manhattan, very diverse. Forrest Hills is quiet, beautiful, not terribly far from Astoria or Manhattan and is you want to escape he hustle and bustle of the city and its craziness, you can do so in Forrest Hills.

ALSO! If you are in Forrest Hills, I urge you to check out Forrest Park.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek24DhSfZ00

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/re...eo-series.html

Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 AM

8 posts, read 10,053 times
Thank you so much everyone! You are all amazing people who have really helped me out!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,897 times
Quote:
The N,Q,R,M and the E--to an extent--can get you to Astoria. I would also say Astoria is a lot more diverse. There's a lot of Mediterranean groups (Greeks and a lot of North Africans), Latin groups (South Americans, Dominicans), Irish just to name a few.
There are no Dominicans in Astoria. Not enough to note, anyway. Tons of Colombians, though, and Brazilians, Puerto Ricans, and from elsewhere in South America. Astoria is WAY too quiet for there to be Dominicans! Also, many South Asians.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,664 times
Astoria is more like the Queens version of Williamsburg in terms of night life and craftbrew. Lots of hipster activities and ethnic food carts in Astoria. Better bars with more transplants.

Although Forest Hills does have a couple of nice bars and 2-3 food carts, it's mostly a european jewish and white anglo saxon protestant enclave. And yes for the most part quiet, which is why there are so many retiree's and senior's living in the area.

It just depends on your age and what your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: