Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen an African American and Dominican in a romantic relationship before?
Yes 46 82.14%
No 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM

193 posts, read 282,308 times

Advertisements

Back to the OP; as a AA woman, yes you see Dominicans who date African Americans. It's more common for Dominican women to date AA men than AA women dating Dominican men because of the politics of skin color. Since on average, Dominicans tend to be more racially mixed and lighter skinned than your average AA, AA men love to gush over Dominican women. It's quite sickening actually because it's almost never a genuine romantic desire/compatibility, but much rather AA men who are color struck and see Dominican women as better than AA women because of some stereotypical trait.

I get approached by Dominican guys quite often mostly because I live in the Bronx, and sometimes I get mistaken for Dominican. Sometimes I'm a little thrown off because of them have some ignorant things to say about AA people, but I will say the more educated and Americanized they are, the better. I sometimes get that, "I like you because you're not like other Black women" because I'm attractive and not ghetto. Still not gonna cut it for me because if you're walking around with these preconceived notions that all AA women by default are unattractive and ghetto, YOU'RE the problem. Can't say I'm surprised though a lot of people think this way, and it would be inaccurate to insinuate that this phenomenon is exclusive to Dominican men.

I tend to notice that usually lighter skinned Dominicans date AAs more than darker skinned ones since being dark is already problematic in Dominican culture. It's funny though because some of these darker skinned Dominicans are apprehensive of even dating AAs who are lighter than them maybe because the difference in culture? Either way people date whoever they want to date.

As far as whether Dominicans are Black, for all intents and purposes most Dominicans I know would be considered Black in most parts of the US. Even if they are a lighter skinned Dominican, they sure as hell wouldn't be able to pass for White because a lot of "Whitish" (I use this term loosely because what is considered to be White by Dominican standards is no where near the same for Americans or even other Latinos) Dominicans tend to have some very African feature such as curly or kinky hair, bigger lips/nose, or a big butt.

People act like all AA people are dark skinned when in reality, most AA people fall in the medium brown family. I guess it's also a regional thing because I feel like in NYC you don't see as many lighter skinned AA people as you do in the South or out West, so people assume that the way that AA people look up here in NYC is the way that all AA people look. I know that a lot of my AA family and friends from other parts of the country who come to NYC who are not darker skinned often are mistaken for Dominican up here, because for a lot of people, lighter or brown skinned Black looking person in NYC automatically = Dominican.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
The fear of poor immigrants with little to no chance of ever leaving the ghetto is that after bothering to come to the U.S. Is that they will be trapped in the hood. Sadly that is the reality and no amount of whitewashing will change the fact NYC Dominicans and other Caribbean immigrants struggle with poverty and lack of access to the same jobs as whites have. A certain someone can post pictures of whites in the Dominican Republic all week if he chooses. Nothing will change on that accord.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 AM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The fear of poor immigrants with little to no chance of ever leaving the ghetto is that after bothering to come to the U.S. Is that they will be trapped in the hood. Sadly that is the reality and no amount of whitewashing will change the fact NYC Dominicans and other Caribbean immigrants struggle with poverty and lack of access to the same jobs as whites have. A certain someone can post pictures of whites in the Dominican Republic all week if he chooses. Nothing will change on that accord.
You are generalizing. The same can be said about trailer trash who live out in the midwest. Ghettos or not, it's still trash. Seriously, how many people in general get to be part of the upper western 1%? Just because someone is white does not mean that they are rich and living a great life. That too, is a misconception.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM

288 posts, read 344,762 times
Quote:
Exactly. You are not white if you have to tell the percentage you are, and it will show in your job opportunities, housing opportunities, etc.
Not to mention your facial features and skin complexion . But that's a good thing in my opinion, though.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:19 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
If you lived in NYC long enough, you would have seen every possible pairing....including myself....Asian male and black female.

Last edited by nyccs; 10-15-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
You are generalizing. The same can be said about trailer trash who live out in the midwest. Ghettos or not, it's still trash. Seriously, how many people in general get to be part of the upper western 1%? Just because someone is white does not mean that they are rich and living a great life. That too, is a misconception.
First of all even trailer park trash does not have the same level of incarceration that poor minorities do. On that level alone a poor white person has a greater chance of social mobility than a poor non white.

This is not to say that there aren't poor whites who are too stupid to do anything significant, but assuming the person has any intelligence they will generally have an easier time.

You don't have to be part of the 1% to have a good life. Whites have higher rates of homeownership than Blacks. While Black income is 60% of White income (averages), Black wealth is 5% of White wealthy.

Yes you can have Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey be far wealthier than the AVERAGE White person, but we're talking about overall averages here.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 10-15-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 05:29 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,291 times
@NYwriterdude, we shouldn't even bother with him anymore. Look at the OCT 2015 signup date and the blatant idiotic hate.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,055 times
The topic question has been answered in the affirmative.

\thread

ps: fascinating read, though!

Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
First of all even trailer park trash does not have the same level of incarceration that poor minorities do. On that level alone a poor white person has a greater chance of social mobility than a poor non white.

This is not to say that there aren't poor whites who are too stupid to do anything significant, but assuming the person has any intelligence they will generally have an easier time.

You don't have to be part of the 1% to have a good life. Whites have higher rates of homeownership than Blacks. While Black income is 60% of White income (averages), Black wealth is 5% of White wealthy.

Yes you can have Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey be far wealthier than the AVERAGE White person, but we're talking about overall averages here.

Nah. I think it's a mind over matter thing. I am a single Nuyorican woman who makes over 100K. I started out in a housing project during the crack epidemic of the 80s, but received a STEM education in the city and was easily able to get a job that pays very well. I have no debt, no obligations, no financial problems. I'm literally sitting well - doing a Ph.D (that my job is paying for) in computer science. And guess what? I know plenty of African Americans who are like me - doing just as well, if not better than me.

Point is, if you really put your mind to it, you'll get what you want. If you're *that good*, race nor other problems will get you down. Sure, there are struggles, but at the end of the day, your determination will get you where you want to go!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:28 PM

288 posts, read 344,762 times
Thanks for replying everyone. Could you participate in this thread please if you can relate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City