Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

So, one way or another gentrification is going to hit East New York. So, what's left after that? How far can this process go, Canarsie? I mean, what's left? The suburbs of Canarsie? Flatlands? Starret City? I think, it's preordained-by the powers that be and greed. Once Brooklyn rivals Manhattan, there's going to be no choice but to gentrify the whole Brooklyn, like Manhattan. We are witnessing the future of NYC, right before our very own eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
East New York and Brownsville are dumping grounds where the city concentrates poor people (on government programs, those who just got out of prison and need halfway houses, etc.) These people have to live somewhere and cannot be shifted out of the state.

Chicago wanted to get rid of it's housing projects that were near the downtown area and the University of Chicago. So they demolished them and moved the housing project residents into working class suburbs which became the new ghettoes. Chicago's murder rate is three times that of NYC's.

So where in NY would they be stupid enough to want to take East New York's poor en masse, knowing full well this new location would become a new equally bad ghetto.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Hot off the press: last night's public Community Board meeting to discuss the rezoning plan for ENY

East New York Rezoning: Residents Fear Displacement

Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Northern ENY along Atlantic Ave to Pitkin Ave (likely choice) is on the marinating phase of gentrification. While Cypress Hills to the north is entering phase 1. Last night even, I saw a few white folks (more than ever in previous time, and I lived in CH for a long time) getting off Van Siclen, Norwood and Crescent with their guitar cases around 1am.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Northern ENY along Atlantic Ave to Pitkin Ave (likely choice) is on the marinating phase of gentrification. While Cypress Hills to the north is entering phase 1. Last night even, I saw a few white folks (more than ever in previous time, and I lived in CH for a long time) getting off Van Siclen, Norwood and Crescent with their guitar cases around 1am.
A lot of white musicians are on welfare. I know starving white artists and bartenders who live in places like the Bronx. Contrary to popular belief a few poor whites showing up does not magically transform a neighborhood.

Neighborhoods that full gentrify tend to be close to job centers and often got major investment in the form of jobs (tech sector companies like Google set up shop in Chelsea, there are media/film/tv companies in Chelsea, plus Chelsea is close to Midtown and Downtown. Plus Chelsea had nowhere near the amount of public housing that East New York has).

Major property developers are not selling million dollar condos in ENY or charging $3k a month for a studio in ENY, and they are nowhere near able to do that.

The whites living in Bushwick or Bedstuy are somewhat marginally (students unable to afford being closer to the schools they go to, artists who haven't made money in their art, recent graduates who haven't gotten a good job, bartenders and waiters, low income gays, etc, ). The original hipster scene has been priced out of the Lower East Side and now Williamsburg and has had to move into the hood.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramafreelyfe View Post
So, one way or another gentrification is going to hit East New York. So, what's left after that? How far can this process go, Canarsie? I mean, what's left? The suburbs of Canarsie? Flatlands? Starret City? I think, it's preordained-by the powers that be and greed. Once Brooklyn rivals Manhattan, there's going to be no choice but to gentrify the whole Brooklyn, like Manhattan. We are witnessing the future of NYC, right before our very own eyes.
Relax. These neighborhoods are by and large isolated from the subway. As long as that remains the case, these below average neighborhoods will remain below average.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 PM

320 posts, read 283,092 times
It's really gonna be something the day you see a trustafarian on a ladder against a wall in east NY writing "spread love, its the Brooklyn way" in a rainbow assortment of letters. And the sad part is, its totally plausible today with the direction that NY is going. Its not gentrifying, its sanfrancising.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
These areas will eventually gentrify, but it will take a LONG time. I mean, Canarsie is practically suburban. It's soooo far from where hipsters/yuppies want to live. Closer in, around Broadway Junction, yeah, that will gentrify (it might already be gentrifying somewhat). Bed Stuy and Brownsville are gentrifying like crazy and ENY is the next neighborhood out.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These areas will eventually gentrify, but it will take a LONG time. I mean, Canarsie is practically suburban. It's soooo far from where hipsters/yuppies want to live. Closer in, around Broadway Junction, yeah, that will gentrify (it might already be gentrifying somewhat). Bed Stuy and Brownsville are gentrifying like crazy and ENY is the next neighborhood out.
Brownsville gentrifying?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
First let's wait and see if Bushwick, Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights gentrify first. So far they've just went from super ghetto status to regular ghetto status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City