Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times

Advertisements

Is New York slowly but surely becoming the San Francisco of the east? Or as smug franciscans like to call SF, the Paris of the west. Are we really becoming this douchey? For the yuppies and real éstate developers reading this, is NY the next up and coming Paris of the west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 04:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Right cause NYC was just settled and developed. Cause its a brand new place that hasn't been around for a few hundred years....

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
This is a really dumb thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
This is a really dumb thread
Well obviously there is a lot of sarcasm in my question dummy but there is some truth.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
Well obviously there is a lot of sarcasm in my question dummy but there is some truth.
Dummy lol NYC is far too big and established to be the anywhere of anywhere.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 PM

But its getting smaller metaphorically, get it?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM

782 posts, read 859,296 times
Quote:
Is New York slowly but surely becoming the San Francisco of the east? Or as smug franciscans like to call SF, the Paris of the west. Are we really becoming this douchey? For the yuppies and real éstate developers reading this, is NY the next up and coming Paris of the west?
WE, as in real New Yorkers, aren't. We've just been seeing a rapid influx of douchery, which is attempting to lay claim to the city.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:36 PM

That's the sad part though, they don't know what they're doing in the process. They claim to come for the diversity but its losing its diversity because of them. It's becoming one dimensional pretentious pricks pretending to be progressive. Hence the SF connection.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Historically like San Francisco, NYC politically has been liberal and progressive. NYC politics, openness and acceptance, and similar stuff such as gay rights movements, HIV pandemics were in both cities. Also both NYC and San Francisco were major hubs for immigrants entering the US. NYC is not the only place getting douchy. This can be in seen in other cities with large professional crowds who are suburban, college educated, pretentious, move to big cities and that their poop don't stink. These types of attitudes and peoples exist in DC, Boston and other legacy cities. There is nothing we can do about this. All I know is I cringe where summer roles around when hundreds of thousands of young folks eager to move to big cities after finishing school.

Thank goodness that NYC is a large city, and the 2nd largest city in geographic size after LA. Therefore much of the city wont be gentrified out compared to SF, DC, and Boston. Only Manhattan, and inner city areas that parallel Manhattan will succumb to displacement, high rents, trend setters, organic food shops, starbucks, apple store, artisanal crafts like boiled ostrich eggs from farm to table and etc.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 PM

Thanks Bronxguyanese. You've got some of the best responses on this forum and I'm not just saying that because of your response to my question.

I also want to let the people here that I offended know I don't hate yuppies, trust fund hipsters, the 1 percent etc. It's just becoming too much of one extreme. The opposite side of the coin of when NY was a pure **** hole in the late 70s. We need some sort of balance. That's my point when I mockingly say that NY is becoming San Francisco. I don't mean it literally.

Innovation comes from dynamism. That's what makes NY great but when everything becomes the same, it becomes stagnant and dull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: