Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,799,240 times

Advertisements

If people hate Starbucks so much, why are they making so much money? I've seen people go there just for a teabag and hot water for $3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 PM

433 posts, read 554,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
What? It's over $2.00 for a small black coffee. If you think thats cheap you need your head checked!
How much cheaper is a small coffee in 7-11 or DD? A quarter maybe? Even au Bon pan charges $2 now for small. The only place it's much less is off street vendor carts.

Now if anyone wants good quality coffee for a little more than Starbucks, try Roasting Plant on Orchard St or Jacks by the Seaport.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,266,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
How much cheaper is a small coffee in 7-11 or DD? A quarter maybe? Even au Bon pan charges $2 now for small. The only place it's much less is off street vendor carts.

Now if anyone wants good quality coffee for a little more than Starbucks, try Roasting Plant on Orchard St or Jacks by the Seaport.
I make my coffee at home so I couldn't tell you how much other places charge. Reason I know starbucks is around $2.20 for a small coffee is from when I got a gift card from there and got me a small coffee.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,288,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I make my coffee at home so I couldn't tell you how much other places charge. Reason I know starbucks is around $2.20 for a small coffee is from when I got a gift card from there and got me a small coffee.
You mean a tall?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,266,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You mean a tall?
Oh I know its called a tall there I just refuse to call it that. Even when I go there and order I always ask for a small coffee. That cup is anything but tall.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,315,669 times
For me McDonalds is the most consistent cup of coffee around!!!!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 PM

539 posts, read 525,323 times
All of these people suggesting you make coffee at home are annoying. Most people drink coffee at work, doubt OP wants to head home every time he needs coffee.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 PM

32,024 posts, read 27,221,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
Most New Yorkers seem to hate Starbucks. I don't hate it, I think it's just ok, but which places do you think a person should go to get great coffee in the city?
You probably are either too young to recall and or have not lived in NYC long.

Before Starbucks arrived there were plenty of small places to get good to excellent coffee. Coffee houses, diners, delis, could be found on every block serving good brew. Then just as Duane Reade killed off small pharmacies Starbucks murdered theirs.

Being a large multinational corporate business SB could and can pay rents that small places couldn't match. They could also afford to sell product at lower rates as well. Starbucks fit right into the 1980's/1990's Yuppie craze; right along with Perrier, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Bass shoes.

Starbucks of that era brought the "latte" to the masses. Hence you have shows like Frazier and Friends literally making a SB type of place their home away from home and ordering weird SB type lattes that would get you laughed out of any coffee place in Europe.

If you went to NYU the Village was full of great coffee places especially on or around Bleecker Street.

Now of course you have one, two or three Starbucks in a two city block radius. Places are trying to compete and some are doing a good job, but many have the expectation of the Starbucks "experience". That is wanting free Wi-Fi and to turn your coffee place into their home office, library or whatever.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 PM

993 posts, read 1,390,548 times
Blue Bottle on Berry St. in Brooklyn has a huge wall of interconnected beakers for cold brewing. A coffee-loving friend from California asked especially to see it, so we went. When she saw it, she got all verklempt, like Linda Richman. I thought the coffee tasted pretty good.

From that store's website: "We are roasting coffee on a vintage Probat roaster, and serving coffee on a variety of interesting devices: Oji-style iced coffee drippers, a custom Slayer espresso machine, and perhaps the longest and most theatrical drip bar on the eastern seaboard."

Quote:
Now of course you have one, two or three Starbucks in a two city block radius.
There's a funny scene in GhostBusters: customers flee from a Starbucks, escaping into another Starbucks across the street.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-28-2015 at 11:40 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:08 AM

478 posts, read 777,214 times
I was in Penn Station last week, and decided I needed a cup of coffee, before the train. After walking up and down the gallery, decided to abandon station and go outside in search of. Greek deli, 7th Av, directly across the street from MSG, got a good small coffee for $1.35. Did the trick. Starbucks, etc. eat your heart out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: