Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 04:26 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. You definitely have displacement of rent stabilized tenants as landlords evict them in Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, and Western Queens. Now these people don't necessarily leave the metro area (many move into poorer neighborhoods) but at least some do.

Even official low income housing is not safe, as certain program housing has been sold to developers in prime locations. Stuytown is an extreme example, but there are other examples. Even some NYCHA's have been sold, with NYCHA saying that they are planning more property sales in prime locations.

Those getting evicted are crowding up in the few NYC neighborhoods which are "affordable", much of the Bronx and places like ENY. Also some are pouring into the nearby towns like Yonkers. Many are also living a family to a room, just as they did in the 19th C, with illegal occupation.

Only the poor with ties down South can move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Lower income New York City residents don't drive? Again WTF??? Where in NYC do you live?

In case you are ignorant of the fact all of NYC is *NOT* Manhattan nor very well served by public transportation. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island are public transit wastelands.

50% of the residents of NYC don't drive. That doesn't mean that they cannot drive, but it certainly means that they don't own a car.

We frequently hear of the poor in places with no decent mass transit falling into destitution if their car breaks down and they cannot fix it, or if it is repossessed.

So even though NYC has high rents, there are other expenses which impact more in much of the South. I have even heard middle class people who moved to GA and FL complaining, as the salaries are lower, taxes are higher and transportation costs more, especially when gas was high.

Plus historically the poor lived near transit. The frustration is that this is now changing, but the bus network in NYC, even in the outer boroughs (not Staten I) is fairly comprehensive, at least during normal working hours.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

562 posts, read 464,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It also depends on how you live. I frequently go out to restaurants, bars, museums, etc. NYC is much better with any of these than any place in the South.

There's an excellent retail sector here if you like shopping and these days there's great grocery store choice. For entertainment not only do you have the mainstream movie theaters, there are plenty of places to see independent films and plays.
The majority of impoverished NYC residents do not have the resources or inclination to frequent good restaurants, museums or other forms of entertainment, such as indy films, plays, musicals etc. Most stay within their defined communities.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
The majority of impoverished NYC residents do not have the resources or inclination to frequent good restaurants, museums or other forms of entertainment, such as indy films, plays, musicals etc. Most stay within their defined communities.
Some of these stuff are free to low cost. Most nyc residents of a low income stature do not have the luxury of time to attend cultural activities. You can pay a dollar and visit the met via donation. I have to admit, when I go on vacations out of the city I visit museums and zoos, here in NYC I do t have the time to go unless I make time to do so, or if with certain people, like a family visiting out of town, a date or if I had children. All of those nuances would make it worthwhile to visit and experience cultural activities. With an id from a community college, one can get a discount to see the philharmonic.

The high end, locally grown, locally sourced, farm to table, gluten free, fair trade, organic restaurants cost and arm and a leg for many folks in this city. Low income folks would be happy with a typical American Applebees of some sort. I have to say yuck.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-10-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 05:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
50% of the residents of NYC don't drive. That doesn't mean that they cannot drive, but it certainly means that they don't own a car.

We frequently hear of the poor in places with no decent mass transit falling into destitution if their car breaks down and they cannot fix it, or if it is repossessed.

So even though NYC has high rents, there are other expenses which impact more in much of the South. I have even heard middle class people who moved to GA and FL complaining, as the salaries are lower, taxes are higher and transportation costs more, especially when gas was high.

Plus historically the poor lived near transit. The frustration is that this is now changing, but the bus network in NYC, even in the outer boroughs (not Staten I) is fairly comprehensive, at least during normal working hours.
Why do I break my word and bother with you? Again you have not a clue what you are talking about.

Bus service is "extensive"? Well yes near the major avenues or streets of say Staten Island but that is cold comfort to many.

Try walking two, three or more blocks just to reach one bus, wait for that one and possibly have to transfer once or twice to get where you are going. I grew up on Staten Island and while service has expanded since the 1970's it still isn't like Manhattan.

You have this myopic view of NYC that nothing extends beyond Manhattan, and am here to tell you that just isn't so. Your comments and views about living or whatever regarding the outer boroughs are often just flat out wrong. Based upon what you've obviously read or whatever but not actually having been to these places.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
You are completely wrong. I observe something very different.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Many NYC residents opt to forego owning a car. This is primarily due to the exorbitant car insurance rates. Also, it's often very difficult to find good parking, unless you pay for a space in a garage, or own or rent property with viable parking options.

When I lived in NYC I didn't own a car, but after relocating outside of NYC, I purchased a new car, despite having plenty of transit options in my new city. It's good to have a great train and bus system, but nothing beats driving your own car to your destination, without having to be hassled with transit delays or rude/inconsiderate people.

Quote:
This is true, but there's a huge difference between residing in a rural community (which lacks public transportation) vs. residing in a major Southern city, with transit options.

Quote:
It really depends. An attorney, accountant, management consultant or physician who relocates to the South, will often live better than their NYC counterparts. This is because most professionals in the South are paid a comparable income. Also, most professionals who reside in major Southern cities, tend to have a lower cost of living because the taxes are moderate and the homes are generally less expensive. The Research Triangle Park (RTP) area of NC is filled with NY transports (mostly from Long Island and NYC). The majority of these transplants have no interest in ever living in NY again. The writing is on the wall.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Lower income New York City residents don't drive? Again WTF??? Where in NYC do you live?

Go to Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn where you'll find plenty of "lower income" households who drive. Can take you to Port Richmond, Mariners Harbor, Arlington, St. George (in particular in or around the Jersey Street Projects), heck around *ANY* of the NYCHA projects and show you "lower income" persons who not only drive but own a vehicle.

In case you are ignorant of the fact all of NYC is *NOT* Manhattan nor very well served by public transportation. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island are public transit wastelands.
Plenty of lower income people in the outer boroughs take the bus to the train. As for Queens the E and F get crowded at Jamaica Center and 179th street from lower income bus riders taking the bus to the train. Ditto the 7 train in Flushing and the IRT lines in the Bronx. Lots of buses to the train in Brooklyn too. And statistically auto ownership in NYC is low compared to most of the country.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You are completely wrong. I observe something very different.
Do you see a lot of impoverished people sitting alongside you at your favorite trendy restaurants in Harlem?

I find this interesting because whenever I frequent Londels Restaurant I only see people who appear to be middle and/or upper income.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Do you see a lot of impoverished people sitting alongside you at your favorite trendy restaurants in Harlem?

I find this interesting because whenever I frequent Londels Restaurant I only see people who appear to be middle and/or upper income.
Few restaurants in Harlem are what one might call "trendy," much as the real estate people try to sell with this. And as much as I realize that one of the low-intellect types here will now besiege us all with even more links and insistences that Red Rooster is "the" spot. Hey, help yourselves.

I do not buy that you have been to Londel's because that actually isn't true. As is known by most people who are familiar with Londel's.

However, more importantly and assuming that others may be interested in more meaningful aspects of culture than you are, I will say that I do know for a fact that lots of low-income people visit the museums. They can because there is always a free night, and a few people are members - a really good deal with many benefits.

To cite just one example. There are also lectures at libraries and elsewhere - often free - and much more. Low-income people frequent these venues.

I thought Londel's was an odd choice, I then realized that you have no idea what you are talking about. You probably did some quick search and Londel's came up. How funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City