Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:09 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times

Advertisements

Peter Luger's
Sparks... ( Huge Wine Selection)
Keen's..... Old school chop house
Old Homestead..... Don't go on the weekend
Jakes in The Bronx. Very underestimated spot. ( Off times Yankees are there)
Smith & Wollensky Dont steal the silver ware.

Capital Grill and Ruth Chris are both very good. Part of the Darden chain ( Olive garden, Red Losbster)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
When I'm in the mood for steak and don't want to be in a smug/uppity environment, I'll go over to Hillstone on 54th and 3rd. Nice atmosphere and I really enjoy their aged NY STRIP.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:12 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I went to Luger's once. Loved it. The porterhouse melted in my mouth and the glasses of Maker's Mark were the size of barrels. The waiters were a trip.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Farewell to Tad's, Manhattan's Last Meat Honkytonk - Eater NY

Anyone remembers Tads Steakhouse. That was a deal

Old 11-19-2015, 03:34 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post

Capital Grill and Ruth Chris are both very good. Part of the Darden chain ( Olive garden, Red Lobster)

Capital Grill is part of Darden. I believe Ruth Chris' is a public company.

Post House and Park Avenue Café used to have decent steak. Part of the Smith and Wollensky group. Both, I believe, are now closed as the steak scene becomes way overcrowded. Ben Bensons befell the same fate as well.

Funny how 20 years ago there were maybe five or six steak joints left; now there are dozens and they are starting to squeeze each other out.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I went to Luger's once. Loved it. The porterhouse melted in my mouth and the glasses of Maker's Mark were the size of barrels. The waiters were a trip.
Lugar's is the best, they have the nicest Jewish owners my parents know them. Very good people.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times
One of my favorites has been mark Joseph's in the seaport...never was disappointed

Old 11-19-2015, 05:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Post House and Park Avenue Café used to have decent steak. Part of the Smith and Wollensky group. Both, I believe, are now closed as the steak scene becomes way overcrowded.
Yes both are now closed although the S&W group have been opening up their Quality chain, Quality Meats and Quality Italian.

A new one which is very good, better than both Wolfgang's and Luger's for the porterhouse is the Angus Club.

The Strip House does their meat in a more French style where you seriously char the outside and still are able to have a good rare and bloody steak in the middle.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Been to striphouse twice, even after the first bad experience, I gave them a second chance it was even worse.

I've also never been to Keens, its on my list of places to try now......The best burger I ever ate was "Black Tap" in soho, I added a fried egg on top and it was heaven in my mouth.

Uncle Jacks prices are similar to the rest of the spots, I didn't see anything over the top.

Lugers used to be one of the best and one of the few steakhouses about 10-15 years ago, I've had many friends agree that they lost quality, I tell my friends that lugers is the same, its just that now you tried even better spots. I still don't understand how they charge cash only, it's 2016, its not reasonable, and I want my damn points!
I might have to a make a trip to Black Tap. Does it beat out paul's burger joint on st. mark's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you want porterhouse, cut to the chase and go to Lugar's.
WHat do I get at keen's then?

I ill have try out peter luger's then if everyone is raving about it.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:49 AM

653 posts, read 783,418 times
I remember going to the Palm Too steakhouse on 2nd Ave. I'd say it's the best steak I've had in NYC. But I haven't had the Luger or Wolensky experience, so just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City