Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
And don't give up on your body ... !
Just about everyone at Shelter was from the far older-era - and far better was definitely my sense - club time. I loved them and learned a lot and appreciated the environment very much. I feel lucky to have had that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Just about everyone at Shelter was from the far older-era - and far better was definitely my sense - club time. I loved them and learned a lot and appreciated the environment very much. I feel lucky to have had that experience.

oh yeah for sure, we have the memories that will last a life time. the kids of today have not a clue.

and yes, papa can still get down with the genie!!!! holla!!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Most Shelter people were recovering addicts.

Long live Timmy Regisford.

A weird crowd but good music.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Im still not over Frankie Knuckles or Peter Rauhoffer......................

dam shame, they were the best of the best

Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I had a whole section of my closet dedicated to club attire. dresses, catsuits, clunky heels, stilettos. I really liked dressing up, with Century 21 being my go-to store. One of my kids remarked that one of my old dresses was short enough to be a shirt rather than a dress and found it hard to believe that I ever wore such a thing.

I don't long to return to my 20s, but I do have some fond memories of my club-going days.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:05 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
New York is now a lounge and restaurant town, when it comes to the club scene! The less space, the less money in rent! Lounges' need to cover charge is less likely!

Oh, by the way, with $30 covers charges, people now either go to small lounges/restaurants, or to the outer boroughs!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:12 PM

dont forget years ago the meat packing area, anything west of 10th ave was no mans land, so it was the perfect place for all those clubs because of the wareouses that were there.
then this thing called real estate happened, and once the hudson river park was in the works and people and young families with kids (blech) (and im a parent also, lol) came in that ruined everything.....................

Old 12-02-2015, 02:40 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
what a sin.

I went to a "New Years day night" party there. It was fun, danced till the sun came up and then some. I might have went a few more times after that don't really remember.

We go to the "Alegria" parties at Webster Hall, or where ever they have them, they are fun also, and im thinking martin luther weekedn we will go...

Santos Party House is another good club as well, as well as Capitale...and Splash....

I went to the last dance at "Roxy", they made it sound like the wrecking ball was going to be there the next day, and here it is 2015 ant it is still standing, that was a dam shame!!
also went to the last dance at "Palladium".......
I didnt make the last dance at "Limelight" though

as far a dress code, LOl, for the boyz there is none, the shirt is coming off within the first 6 minutes.....lol

I think what also happens is that the lease is finished and the owner just dont feel like doing it anymore. I know Splash was open for like 25 years, and im sure they were just over it......that was sad, we used to get in for free for about 10 years because of the special splash cards we had gotten from one of the promoters, still have......those were the days.......pop a pill, dance all night.....and boy did I have abs back them....................................

Bu now at my age, it doesnt matter, we dont do it as often as we used to, our bodies just cant do it anymore.......***sigh****

An attempt was made to reopen the Roxy space but local residents were dead against it: Roxy nightclub plans abandoned

Chelsea, West Village etc... has become very conservative and that includes the gays who live over there. They fought Boots and Saddles from attempting to open in a new space on Seventh Avenue out of fears of "what the children might see" and the "sort of patrons" the place attracts.

Splash closed for pretty much the reasons one already mentioned; changes in way gay men socialize and changes in NYC in particular areas that once were mostly commercial now high end residential. Then of course there is the increased regulation and laws: http://www.nextmagazine.com/content/...after-22-years

Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
An attempt was made to reopen the Roxy space but local residents were dead against it: Roxy nightclub plans abandoned

Chelsea, West Village etc... has become very conservative and that includes the gays who live over there. They fought Boots and Saddles from attempting to open in a new space on Seventh Avenue out of fears of "what the children might see" and the "sort of patrons" the place attracts.

Splash closed for pretty much the reasons one already mentioned; changes in way gay men socialize and changes in NYC in particular areas that once were mostly commercial now high end residential. Then of course there is the increased regulation and laws: Exclusive: Splash owner Brian Landeche talks about why the legendary bar is closing after 22 years | Next Magazine
If you're paying a lot of money to live someplace the last thing you want is filth coming in from all over the metro area. One reason why crime went down in Manhattan is because they got rid of the clubs.

And let's be honest, Manhattan only had the number of clubs it had because of white flight and deindustrialization. There were a lot of cheap spaces that anyone could rent out and use as clubs.

Those places did not bring in good tax revenues to the city. I'm glad both Giuliani and Bloomberg wiped that scene out and replaced it with people with money.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Most Shelter people were recovering addicts.

Long live Timmy Regisford.

A weird crowd but good music.
I only knew about two - one was the coat guy. The people there had helped him.

Weird isn't the right word exactly.
I would say interesting and eclectic, certainly.

Agree about TR.

I see the troll is back, always a thread killer with each comment more wrong than the last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City