Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:35 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you're paying a lot of money to live someplace the last thing you want is filth coming in from all over the metro area. One reason why crime went down in Manhattan is because they got rid of the clubs.

And let's be honest, Manhattan only had the number of clubs it had because of white flight and deindustrialization. There were a lot of cheap spaces that anyone could rent out and use as clubs.

Those places did not bring in good tax revenues to the city. I'm glad both Giuliani and Bloomberg wiped that scene out and replaced it with people with money.

Ok, that's it! Try as one might to ignore your posts it is time to set *YOU* straight.

WTF are you calling "filth"? Hmm? Myself and many others went to many a great party/club and had wonderful times and memories. White, black, gay, straight, etc.. persons from all walks of life including those famous at time (and today) along with those who became so now.

Filth? You throw that word around a lot pal and you need to watch yourself. Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent you do *NOT* live in NYC and or have not in some time. Your ideas and so forth are so out dated if not clearly wrong either you have mental issues clouding your memories of the past or are some judgmental persons making things up from stories you read and or have been told.

White flight had *NOTHING* to do with why the Westside, GV, Tribeca, Soho, etc.. had tons of clubs back in the day. It was mainly because those areas were and still mostly are zoned for commercial and or manufacturing activity. As such by 8PM they were often desolate and certainly on the weekends/holidays or whenever businesses were closed. Property owners looking to make any money they could from abandoned or under used spaces turned to night clubs or whatever else they could that brought in money to pay taxes on the property. For *YOUR* information plenty of persons did live in those areas. I know several for years that lived along Washington Street, Tenth and other Westside Avenues. They were not "filth" or any such thing either. You have no idea how many famous persons lived on the Far West side and those aforementioned areas in complete bliss until things changed.

What changed these areas is the City finally altering or allowing massive zoning changes to residential. No one cared how much noise Roxy and the other clubs made when few persons politically active lived over there. But once demographics changed so did conditions on the ground.

Persons who lived in the Meatpacking area between 14th and Christopher along Washington and West Streets tried for decades to get rid of the trannie hookers. Nothing worked for long until the "High Line" and big bucks real estate came along. Then the City suddenly took notice.

In fact much of the new zeal for the Far West Side is due to the creation of the High Line. Tribeca, SoHo etc.. all the way down to Wall Street/Financial District/Battery Park had been trying to take off as residential going back to the 1990's but it really didn't take. When the City again finally rezoned and coupled with a realization that industry (manufacturing, shipping, etc...) wasn't coming back to NYC and that Wall Street was shrinking made persons see sense.

For someone who claims to have lived in NYC all their life you have some daft and ill informed notions. I'd like to introduce you to some of the persons I partied with back in the day and let see if you call them "filth" to their faces. Hint; they can by and sell you thousands of times over and the sums would be a mere rounding error. That and or they hold positions of power and influence that could easily make your misery their life's work and succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, that's it! Try as one might to ignore your posts it is time to set *YOU* straight.

WTF are you calling "filth"? Hmm? Myself and many others went to many a great party/club and had wonderful times and memories. White, black, gay, straight, etc.. persons from all walks of life including those famous at time (and today) along with those who became so now.

Filth? You throw that word around a lot pal and you need to watch yourself. Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent you do *NOT* live in NYC and or have not in some time. Your ideas and so forth are so out dated if not clearly wrong either you have mental issues clouding your memories of the past or are some judgmental persons making things up from stories you read and or have been told.
Thank you so much for saying this, the rest also. Completely on target.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

Filth? You throw that word around a lot pal and you need to watch yourself. Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent you do *NOT* live in NYC and or have not in some time.

Persons who lived in the Meatpacking area between 14th and Christopher along Washington and West Streets tried for decades to get rid of the trannie hookers. Nothing worked for long until the "High Line" and big bucks real estate came along. Then the City suddenly took notice.

In fact much of the new zeal for the Far West Side is due to the creation of the High Line. Tribeca, SoHo etc.. all the way down to Wall Street/Financial District/Battery Park had been trying to take off as residential going back to the 1990's but it really didn't take. When the City again finally rezoned and coupled with a realization that industry (manufacturing, shipping, etc...) wasn't coming back to NYC and that Wall Street was shrinking made persons see sense.

For someone who claims to have lived in NYC all their life you have some daft and ill informed notions. I'd like to introduce you to some of the persons I partied with back in the day and let see if you call them "filth" to their faces. Hint; they can by and sell you thousands of times over and the sums would be a mere rounding error. That and or they hold positions of power and influence that could easily make your misery their life's work and succeed.
Proof for this assertion?

You're upset because on this thread I expressed happiness that those crappy nightclubs are gone. Yes I remember them, and yes I am happy that they gone. I recall when Giuliani started the crackdown on those crappy places. I loved when Bloomberg encouraged development of those areas.

So you did not set me straight at all or change my opinion on the matter. And for the record I do live in NYC.

As for what you think of me personally, I could care less.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:15 PM

And for the record those nightclubs were so full of drugs it was ridiculous. And yes no one wants scummy people like that regardless of their sexual orientation or race hanging around the neighborhood. So the real estate interests petitioned to have them shut down and Manhattan and NYC are all the better for it.

Again goodbye and good riddance.

Not every person or every gay person in NYC liked the club scene when it existed btw.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Proof for this assertion?

You're upset because on this thread I expressed happiness that those crappy nightclubs are gone. Yes I remember them, and yes I am happy that they gone. I recall when Giuliani started the crackdown on those crappy places. I loved when Bloomberg encouraged development of those areas.

So you did not set me straight at all or change my opinion on the matter. And for the record I do live in NYC.

As for what you think of me personally, I could care less.

Nobody is upset. People have an aversion and they do not even understand the depth of hypocrisy and dishonesty.

Still feel entitled to demand "proof" from people when caught in stories. How odd.

A suggestion to management - making verification of location mandatory would improve this board tremendously. People should not be trolling from other locations with all sorts of manufactured "opinions." This becomes a real nuisance for the normal people who really want to share opinions. A few of the other boards already do this. They are limited to neighborhoods and your actual location must be verified before you can join and post.

It's fine to have people post from anywhere - interesting, in fact - but they should be forced to be honest about locations.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But the whole point is to go somewhere to see and dance with new women. Not the same group of friends you've been knowing for years.

Not about substance. It's strictly about fun.
I hear you, it was just never my thing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-03-2015, 05:24 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The last mega club is probably Websterhall, and another club somewhere in Chelsea but that is on an higher end. Most nightlife venues are small, intimate and require table bottle service. Mega Clubs are mainly popular in environments of warmer climate such as Miami or Las Vegas.
I still think people still love megaclubs but its just cheaper to operate a smaller venue IMO for a business owner point of view. I guarantee if 5 of the top megaclubs in Miami and Vegas moved to NYC that they would be packed every weekend.

Last edited by fieldm; 12-03-2015 at 05:49 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I still think people still love megaclubs but its just cheaper to operate a smaller venue IMO for a business owner point of view. I guarantee if 5 of the top megaclubs in Miami and Vegas moved to NYC that they would be packed every weekend.
Basically they would not be able to afford the space, community boards would not approve the liquor license, and there is no longer the space to put a megaclub in Manhattan. The far West Side has rapidly developed. Western Brooklyn and Western Queens are high end residential and office buildings.

The Bronx might have the space but community boards would block megaclubs due to crime concerns (plus there's an effort to gentrify the Bronx).

People who LIVE in an area do not want the types of people megaclubs attract hanging around.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
^ Community boards don't approve liquor licenses. The State Liquor Authority does.

But yes, I agree. Community boards have become the mouthpieces of NIMBYS, who strangely wants to live in bucolic silence in a big, gritty city.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:48 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:

White flight had *NOTHING* to do with why the Westside, GV, Tribeca, Soho, etc.. had tons of clubs back in the day. It was mainly because those areas were and still mostly are zoned for commercial and or manufacturing activity. As such by 8PM they were often desolate and certainly on the weekends/holidays or whenever businesses were closed. Property owners looking to make any money they could from abandoned or under used spaces turned to night clubs or whatever else they could that brought in money to pay taxes on the property. For *YOUR* information plenty of persons did live in those areas. I know several for years that lived along Washington Street, Tenth and other Westside Avenues. They were not "filth" or any such thing either. You have no idea how many famous persons lived on the Far West side and those aforementioned areas in complete bliss until things changed.

What changed these areas is the City finally altering or allowing massive zoning changes to residential. No one cared how much noise Roxy and the other clubs made when few persons politically active lived over there. But once demographics changed so did conditions on the ground.

all good points made here.
yes, we had some really great times at those clubs, OMG for real. im glad we had the experience of going to them, they were fun. 100000 shirtless sweatty men all dancing together, does it get better than that!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City