Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 AM

63 posts, read 46,091 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 41-year-old male who wants to go to college in the spring. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to just take courses. I intend to get a TAP grant, or another government grant. These are the schools I'm thinking about:

CUNY- BOROUGH OF MANHATTAN CMTY CLG
CUNY-HUNTER COLLEGE
METROPOLITAN COLLEGE OF NEW YORK
KING'S COLLEGE (THE)
STELLA AND CHARLES GUTTMAN COMMUNITY COL
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
NEW YORK CAREER INSTITUTE
PACE UNIVERSITY - NEW YORK

Does anyone with experience going to any of these colleges have any advice or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
dun

193 posts, read 226,359 times
are u looking for a career change, a certificate to move up in your field or do u just want to take courses for the hell of it? id recommend a cuny for any of the three. hunter or laguardia would be my recommendation. and unless u are dirt poor, don't count on any form of substantial assistance. start by filing out a fafsa and take it from there.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:49 PM

I don't know what I'm looking for yet. But I know I want to at least take classes. Laguardia is out of the question. I was considering Hunter because it's in Manhattan.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
We really don't have enough information to guide you. Why is LaGuardia out of the question? You're basing just on geography?

It's odd that you want to take classes, yet you don't know what you want to take classes in.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:06 PM

I live in Manhattan, and would rather go some place in Manhattan. I'm looking for general advice as to what colleges listed are good for adults. I don't yet know what subject I'll be pursuing.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:49 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
What is your current job? Are you going back to college for your masters?

Old 12-08-2015, 06:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnon View Post
I live in Manhattan, and would rather go some place in Manhattan. I'm looking for general advice as to what colleges listed are good for adults. I don't yet know what subject I'll be pursuing.
So are you going for "continuing education" or a degree? Often times, schools list continuing education programs/classes/certificates separately from degrees.

If you don't know what you're going to study, don't even bother with private schools. They'll just eat up your tuition. Stick with CUNY.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM

443 posts, read 438,117 times
I think you should try to figure out your area of study before picking a school. If it's business related, I'd go with Baruch. If it's not, I'd probably go with Hunter. I've been to both, I enjoyed them both. Hunter has a younger crowd IMO. I've found that the students aren't as social at Baruch as they are at Hunter; then again, I took classes at night with an older crowd who worked a 9-5 and came to school just to get their work done.

ETA: If you don't want to choose an area of study first, go to BMCC and take a couple of classes to help you figure it out. I think the courses there are cheaper because it's a community college and on par with LaGuardia IMO.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnon View Post
Not a good reason to make a choice.

All are potentially "good" for adults. You need a basic understanding of what you might do, is it liberal arts ? sciences ? Because this will dictate the best choices.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
Again depending on your area of study is, its hard to determine where you should attend. For TAP & Pell, I believe you might have to be a full-time student, and not just enrolling in 1 class. I think they offer part-time financial aide as well. I believe CUNY are least expensive than the private colleges listed. I graduated from SUNY Empire State, only because they offer full online courses. Some CUNY schools are now offering full online courses as well. (hence you not wanting to commute to certain schools) John Jay College also has online course. And by all means, you do have the flexibility to do some online & some at the actual school as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City