Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 AM

6 posts, read 18,215 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida, but will be relocating to Manhattan soon. I will be transferring my job up there and will be working on Madison Ave & 40th St.

My dilemma is that I just recently purchased a brand new BMW and havent really got to enjoy it yet.

My budget for an apartment is up to $3,000/month.

I checked the prices for parking garages and they are too expensive and would put a big strain in my budget.

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest any ideas so I can live in Manhattan w/o paying up the arse to enjoy my new ride.

Is it feasible for me to take my car up there and just park on the streets somewhere closeby my apartment?

I don't plan on driving it much, except only on certain occasions, so I'm not sure if I can leave my car parked on the street for most of the day.

Please help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 AM

430 posts, read 835,294 times
In a word, no, you can't expect to regularly park your car on the street in Manhattan. Even if you find a spot, if you leave it there for days at a time, you'll inevitably be the victim of street cleaning (towing your car away) or having your car vandalized. So you have 3 basic choices here.

A) Have a short commute, live in Manhattan, and sell the car.
B) Have a short commute, live in Manhattan, and pay for garage parking.
C) Have a long commute from a 'burb, and park your car without worry.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Or see if you can find reasonable monthly parking in New Jersey. It will make driving more complicated (in varying degrees, depending on which neighborhood you settle in) but it will more than compensate by simplifying your day-to-day life.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 AM

120 posts, read 127,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2NY View Post
I currently live in Florida, but will be relocating to Manhattan soon. I will be transferring my job up there and will be working on Madison Ave & 40th St.

My dilemma is that I just recently purchased a brand new BMW and havent really got to enjoy it yet.

My budget for an apartment is up to $3,000/month.

I checked the prices for parking garages and they are too expensive and would put a big strain in my budget.

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest any ideas so I can live in Manhattan w/o paying up the arse to enjoy my new ride.

Is it feasible for me to take my car up there and just park on the streets somewhere closeby my apartment?

I don't plan on driving it much, except only on certain occasions, so I'm not sure if I can leave my car parked on the street for most of the day.

Please help. Thanks!
Pay for the Garage!!What you get...? 335/535 ???Tell me!! lol You'd have to pull my new Bimmer from "My cold Dead Hands"...

Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Oh come ON! Either pony up for a garage or quit whining. Owning a car in Manhattan is considered a LUXURY. Luxuries don't come cheaply. How about scrimping on your rent?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
Your only option really is to park it in a garage. If you leave it on the streets you will end up having to move it constantly with alternate side of the street parking, you may end up paying more in tickets than you would for a garage, I GUARANTEE it will get dinged up very quickly, and then there is always the risk of theft and vandalism.

Viralmd is right, having a car in Manhattan is a luxury. Very few people have them and you will probably use it very rarely. It will not be cheap.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
a few other costs to consider if you are keeping the car and garaging it- if you register and insure in nyc, your insurance costs will probably be much higher. might want to make a call and get a quote. also do not forget to factor in the tips that you have to give to the garage guys every time you want to get your car out. Or maybe just one big tip at year-end. The people I know who keep cars in nyc garages tip their guys really well (whatever that means- I never was able to get a figure)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Yeah I gotta agree with previous posters, fiddle with your budget a little and just pay for a garage.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
But folks you're forgetting about insurance. That's what will set him back big, as Henna says. The parking won't be a big deal (300 a month or so).

But the insurance?? We have some of the highest and most expensive car insurance rates in the nation. That's something to be afraid of.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Another reason why having a car in Manhattan is a luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City