Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,937,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's true of all public service- but there's a funny catch.
A standard student loan repayment terms is 10 years. Generally no debt would be dismissed.

The workaround is if you're working for low income, or have a large family and need to reduce your payments based on need.

Teacher's are unlikely to benefit, but Teachers Aids and School Security can see quality reductions.

There are other teacher loan forgiveness programs for those in Title 1 schools working for 5 consecutive years. Generally speaking they need such incentives to put anyone in rough places like that- but still the incentive isn't enough, when LI and Westchester will pay $5-10K a year more, plus better working conditions.
Exactly - this is not the help that most people think.

In addition, many students have primarily private loans. Loan forgiveness works for only a small portion of total debt simply given the ceilings on the federal loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:07 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,084,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because of all the teachers are white or teachers are disproportionately white that sends a message to the kids. Basically teaching and school itself is not for you.

As someone who works in education there is no way to qualify someone as the best teacher. In order to become a teacher you have to become licensed and from there you have to get a masters degree within 5 years.
You can qualify educators in an Interview and a Demo Lesson- and if any bias or bonus is given to the minority educator, that's not very holistic as an Equal Opportunity Employer.

I think Veteran's Preference is the only 'categorized' bonus one can have for hiring eligibility.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,357,017 times
Quote:
It's true of all public service- but there's a funny catch.
A standard student loan repayment terms is 10 years. Generally no debt would be dismissed.

The workaround is if you're working for low income, or have a large family and need to reduce your payments based on need.

Teacher's are unlikely to benefit, but Teachers Aids and School Security can see quality reductions.

There are other teacher loan forgiveness programs for those in Title 1 schools working for 5 consecutive years. Generally speaking they need such incentives to put anyone in rough places like that- but still the incentive isn't enough, when LI and Westchester will pay $5-10K a year more, plus better working conditions.
All disincentives for anyone (race aside) to choose teaching.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:33 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,008,307 times
For all these people screaming "liberal bias" can you please tell me how this initiative gives a "pass" to minorities, if at the end of the day every teacher WILL have take and pass exams for their Initial & Professional Certificates. I've performed a cursory research on teacher licensing and (as expected) nowhere did I find that the race of a candidate resulted in extra points or preferential treatment.

I laud the overall aim of the initiative because I do not see it holding white vs. nonwhite teachers to different standards. Again, in my field there are several initiatives which include1) increasing the number of minority CPAs and (2) increasing the number of accountants with doctorates to replace retiring accounting faculty. Number 2 is very critical because there is a severe shortage of accounting PHD candidates and this will affect the accounting profession if it's not fixed. Now, from the logic of some here these 2 initiatives might be considered as some form of quota or an unfair mandate, but that's not true.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
All disincentives for anyone (race aside) to choose teaching.
If they are able to pay their loans off in 10 years that's not a disincentive. It means they already make enough money to pay off their loans.

To go into any profession you primarily have to like the work and you have to have some sort of gift for it.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
If they are able to pay their loans off in 10 years that's not a disincentive. It means they already make enough money to pay off their loans.

To go into any profession you primarily have to like the work and you have to have some sort of gift for it.
They may or may not be able to pay off those loans, and it certainly can impact two people very differently. One can be making a $350 payment back monthly, and the other a $150 payment back monthly.

Liking a profession and having a gift for it, are certainly beneficial for a quality fulfilling career- but there's plenty who are after money. It's necessary to live. If I wanted to teach and live in a big city- Chicago CPS pays about 15K more on average for highly educated folk than the NYCDOE, while enjoying a cost of housing that's nearly half New York.

Then pension isn't what it used to be.
The job security isn't what it used to be.
The pay hasn't kept up.

NYCDOE is simply not attractive enough. The glut of white teachers comes from the asinine Masters in 5 years requirement, and a huge amount of those seeking jobs on LI and Westchester who just will never make the competitive cut.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,357,017 times
Quote:
Not really. Think about all of the people who choose professions just because they pay well. I've known plenty who don't like what they do and complain all the time but they make very good money.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
They may or may not be able to pay off those loans, and it certainly can impact two people very differently. One can be making a $350 payment back monthly, and the other a $150 payment back monthly.

Liking a profession and having a gift for it, are certainly beneficial for a quality fulfilling career- but there's plenty who are after money. It's necessary to live. If I wanted to teach and live in a big city- Chicago CPS pays about 15K more on average for highly educated folk than the NYCDOE, while enjoying a cost of housing that's nearly half New York.

Then pension isn't what it used to be.
The job security isn't what it used to be.
The pay hasn't kept up.

NYCDOE is simply not attractive enough. The glut of white teachers comes from the asinine Masters in 5 years requirement, and a huge amount of those seeking jobs on LI and Westchester who just will never make the competitive cut.
The most important part is liking the profession and having a gift for it.

You cannot go out for a job solely for the money. Many try and many fail. All of the cool sounding high paying jobs in Wall Street and advertising have a very high drop out rate for those who cannot make the cut.

I know people in NYC who are both teachers and professors, or they are teachers and they do some other sort of professional job. Since you do have the requirement to get a masters degree in 5 years you actually get a highly educated person who can do other things besides k-12.

I've met teachers who are also playwrights (making some money from playwriting). NYC is that kind of place. A talented person here who likes teaching has plenty of opportunity to do side jobs.

So it's really up for the individual person to decide what city he or she likes, and from there they can do what they have to do to make ends meet there. I personally don't care Chicago is cheaper than NYC. I'm not interested in living there. I will stay in NYC, and I do teach (Adult Ed).

Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Not really. Think about all of the people who choose professions just because they pay well. I've known plenty who don't like what they do and complain all the time but they make very good money.
And there are even more who end up having to leave the profession or not even being able to get into the profession.

In order to become a lawyer for example not only must one do well on the LSATs, one has to graduate law school and pass the bar. That process alone weeds out a lot of people. The reality of starting your career as a lawyer weeds out a lot of people.

So clearly a person who became a lawyer was good at the academic work. Not everyone can do that.

Ditto for something like engineering or medical school. Not everyone is able to study for those fields. It's extremely difficult and expensive to study something you don't like, and that right there will eliminate huge numbers of people who wanted to go into those professions for the money (the actual requirements).

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I personally don't care Chicago is cheaper than NYC. I'm not interested in living there. I will stay in NYC, and I do teach (Adult Ed).
The world doesn't revolve around you- and the market for educators is not limited to a single city.

If NYC can't draw talented people willing to stay with the DOE, because the choices are better elsewhere- the educational quality for students will suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City