Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Full time teachers who make the minimum of monthly payments for 10 years get their student loans canceled/forgiven.

This is so disgustingly unfair.
Loan forgiveness is not only applicable to teaching---it covers a lot of careers and only certain loans like others have mentioned.

I was in a teaching cohort that definitely aimed to attract minority teachers. Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Whites---they were all accounted for in my cohort. That didn't necessarily mean anything. One of the black teachers went on to teach at a school that was less than 5% black and eventually transitioned to another school that was the same. It's not like she cared about being a poster child for minority teachers and I don't think she ever went into teaching because she wanted to be a role model---all she cared about was getting a spot at a good school and getting her M.S. paid for so she could continue on with her education for free.

Here is the the thing---many high schools have themes now and there are very few that focus on churning out teachers. You'll have many high schools with programs directing interest toward the medical fields, the sciences, the arts, etc. Many of these schools are attended by minorities. I think there might be one that has something to do with teaching. No focus, no interest---why would kids pursue it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because of all the teachers are white or teachers are disproportionately white that sends a message to the kids. Basically teaching and school itself is not for you.

As someone who works in education there is no way to qualify someone as the best teacher. In order to become a teacher you have to become licensed and from there you have to get a masters degree within 5 years.

So how come Asian students in NYC are so successful that all, yes that's ALL, the specialized high schools (ie the schools with the smartest students in the city) are MAJORITY Asian - even tho Asians make up the smallest minority. The schools aren't for them indeed?

This identity politics thing is much more lip service to theoretical ideas than actually based on anything grounded in empirical data.

The diversification of the teachers in NYC is one thing, its a laudable goal if those groups have historically been denied entry or have had higher challenges to get in. But the sop that the students themselves need it - pure fabrication. The students just need good teachers.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
^ That is absolutely correct. Repped.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So how come Asian students in NYC are so successful that all, yes that's ALL, the specialized high schools (ie the schools with the smartest students in the city) are MAJORITY Asian - even tho Asians make up the smallest minority. The schools aren't for them indeed?

This identity politics thing is much more lip service to theoretical ideas than actually based on anything grounded in empirical data.

The diversification of the teachers in NYC is one thing, its a laudable goal if those groups have historically been denied entry or have had higher challenges to get in. But the sop that the students themselves need it - pure fabrication. The students just need good teachers.
And where are all the Asian teachers btw?

The city is ALSO recruiting Asian male (along with Black and Latino male) teachers. Or did you not notice that?

For whites teaching is one way to enter the middle class. So why should this opportunity be denied to others?

And actually some data suggests that when they have some teachers of the same race as them, students tend to perform better.

In fact places like the Bronx would benefit from having more teachers from those communities actually TEACH the students there. Why should outsiders get to teach? Many minorities go to CUNY and the city always could have recruited them. Only NOW in 2015 does the city decide to recruit minority teachers from CUNY.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

Agree. And I find the suggestion that people who might "look" like each other would necessarily have anything in common astounding.

The students definitely need good teachers. The field is simply failing to attract a large pool of the best talent.

Most of the comments are from people who have little actual involvement in professional education, as is so often the case here.

Professional educators do exist. Taking an online course or two as a "graduate student" (that's a good one) does not prepare a person to be a teacher in this realm or to participate in institutionalized education.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 AM

562 posts, read 464,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Another wrench to throw into the mix.. It was a serious issue for me as a kid. I did not appreciate being taught by straight teachers. I did have a few gay teachers, but they weren't the greatest. Being taught in a predominantly heterocentric learning environment actually DID cause me to feel bad about myself. I did get straight A's (because I went to a crappy public NJ high school.. Most NJ high schools are GREAT, but mine sucked.. North Bergen), but it was still felt "unsafe" for me at all times. I am retroactively pulling the outrage card!
How did you know what the teacher's sexual orientation was? It is highly inappropriate (and illegal) for teachers to discuss their sexual behavior and/or relationships w/ students.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 AM

562 posts, read 464,418 times
Quote:
Bronxguyanese often talks about how the city imports talent and does not nurture local graduates who went to CUNY. Well at least as for an education goes that is starting to change. The city has to recruit Blacks, Hispanics, AND ASIANS are male teachers as 43% of public school students are Black, Asian, and Hispanic males while only 8% of the teachers are Black, Asian, and Hispanic males. The city believes that diversifying the teachers will not only provide role models for minorities, that it would be good for white students too as it would help break down stereotypes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...43c_story.html
I think this will be very good for inner city minority youth, who may not have any bona fide minority male role models...

Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Racist to do that

Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Racist to do that
It isn't racist but stupid-ist. A failure to see class distinctions rather than racial ones.

They aren't synonymous and certainly not in identical ways.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:17 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
No one goes into teaching thinking they will get rich. This is the entire nation.

NYC teachers have plenty of opportunities for additional work (teaching during the summer, or other jobs during the school year while teaching).
While not 'rich' a good sum of teachers on LI and Westchester go into the job for the stability and the money.

Two educators in the NY Suburbs can easily clear about 200K after 10 years.

NYCDOE has always been stuck in longevity pay. You need to start in the city, and stay your whole career there if you want to make a good dime.

I worked under a school administrator who's job made her a millionaire many times over... and god knows how many of my tuition dollars went to paying Lee Bollinger's 4 Million in compensation this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City