Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
I don’t agree. Plenty of unmarried couples happen to be great at providing stable homes. Familial stability does not entirely depend on a marriage certificate.
I bet if you did some kind of a study, comparing the high school graduation rate of students of single parent households to those with two parent households- you'd change your tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I bet if you did some kind of a study, comparing the high school graduation rate of students of single parent households to those with two parent households- you'd change your tune.

The facts are on your side (see below). I'd doubt he'd change his tune tho - there are plenty of people who do not understand population studies. They think because they know some single parents whose kids made it to Columbia and U Penn, and they know some dysfunctional still married parents down the road whose kid flunked out at 15, that there's no conclusions you can draw about populations. They confuse the individual circumstance with the population stats.

As a population, women live longer than men. Will grandma Betty outlive Uncle Randy? Who knows....

Old 12-16-2015, 08:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I made no claim to stand in opposition. Besides, I wasn't aware that NYC was prohibited from hiring black teachers? This is a canard.

A modest, stable home is easy to provide for a child if it's a priority for 2 married adults. I'm sure you agree with this, yes?
Yes. The financial and emotional support is BETTER in TWO PARENT families, plus the support networks of relatives on both sides.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The facts are on your side (see below). I'd doubt he'd change his tune tho - there are plenty of people who do not understand population studies. They think because they know some single parents whose kids made it to Columbia and U Penn, and they know some dysfunctional still married parents down the road whose kid flunked out at 15, that there's no conclusions you can draw about populations. They confuse the individual circumstance with the population stats.

As a population, women live longer than men. Will grandma Betty outlive Uncle Randy? Who knows....

Agreed. You can draw conclusions from populations using stats. Properly collected data does not lie (I'm excluding improperly collected data or falsified data).

That doesn't necessarily mean you can say what's going to happen in an individual case.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:08 AM

149 posts, read 145,364 times
As an Asian-American who has taught but recently made a shift to HR I think this idea is stupid. I don't care about race; most of my friends aren't Asian. I think about the quality of the person and their character. That's all that matters to me. We need to have students get used to the idea they are not going to be around people of their similar likeness all the time.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
As an Asian-American who has taught but recently made a shift to HR I think this idea is stupid. I don't care about race; most of my friends aren't Asian. I think about the quality of the person and their character. That's all that matters to me. We need to have students get used to the idea they are not going to be around people of their similar likeness all the time.
Which is exactly why they are diversifying the types of teachers they hire.

In part because people need to be aware that they are not going to always see the same type of person in the same position (whites as teachers). And it would be good for white students to see non whites in positions of authority instead of always subordinate positions like janitor, secretary, or other type service position.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Underrepresented students do need more teachers of color. I'm glad they are going to diversify the teaching staff. This is long overdue.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM

149 posts, read 145,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which is exactly why they are diversifying the types of teachers they hire.

In part because people need to be aware that they are not going to always see the same type of person in the same position (whites as teachers). And it would be good for white students to see non whites in positions of authority instead of always subordinate positions like janitor, secretary, or other type service position.
Don't you think this transition should happen a little more organically? Rather than superficially throwing in some minorities. I stand by my first statement; personality and character is more important than race.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Don't you think this transition should happen a little more organically? Rather than superficially throwing in some minorities. I stand by my first statement; personality and character is more important than race.
If it hasn't happened organically in all the decades after the civil rights movement that means it will not happen organically.

And honestly it never happened organically.

CUNY was almost all white in NYC at late as the early 70s. The few minority students launched massive protests and pushed for open enrollment, formation of ethnic studies departments, etc.

Then CUNY institutionally changed and became a lot more diverse. If those students hadn't have pushed for those changes City College would still be 96% white.

Saying personality and character is more important than race means you refuse to acknowledge the historical and institutional forces that essentially locked out certain groups of people from participating in huge parts of the labor and housing market.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
The NY Knicks do not make up an accurate representation of the city they play for.

Should the city aim to recruit some Jews, Italians and a few more Chinese into professional basketball?

Maybe we should just stop being obsessed with and tracking race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City