Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM

37 posts, read 227,130 times

Advertisements

Feel this is FAIR question for New Yorkers as some want to relocate to suburbs.

Honestly now. Which would you choose For raising tween who will be 18 in a few years ? BTW tween LOVES NY and is bored in PA.

BTW. I am an artist and thrive on the arts, and all the culture, cafe's museums etc nY has to offer. Just want to make sure doing right thing for my child.

here's the deal.
Affordable Nice Ny apartment in section which is prime. 10 Minutes to manhattan. train one block away. Great schools. 4 blocks from FAMOUS Prospect Park which has carousel, huge sand boxes;about 10 swings in a row. then ten more yeards away. super uber slides. cotton candy, hot dog vendore, balloons, cheese steak trucks. falafal and MORE! yes! in the park!! horse back riding. ducks. row boats and peddle boats.Some feel Better Prospect park is better than Central Park. I love both.

Apt walking distance to upscale cafes, museums, skating rink in park, libraries, zoo, botanical gardens and more! everything at your finger tips. bank, food market, post office and more. And all the culture, fun, and anything imaginable in New York city !!! yet small apt. which i don't mind. trade off is culture, great education and fun for kid.

or suburban life. only 3 attractions for children. really nothing stimulating for a child. yet. it IS suburbia life.great schools. huge apt. honestly. NOTHING stimulating for a child. small parks (only a few which only have a swingset with 4 swings, and slide). yet you can travel 1 and half hours to larger city. mountain viws. lots of woods and rivers. didn't list as much because honestly that really IS all.

which would YOU choose. honestly
Additional Details

FORGOT! apt has POOL.

NY APT 4 blocks from band shell in park which has FREE concerts to performers such a Nora Jones, famous jazz, r&b, classical, country artists and MORE. 10 minute ride to ONE of many beaches.
great beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
I would choose the suburbs of PA.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Why not a 2-bedroom elsewhere in the city? If it had to be either Park Slope or PA suburbs, I'd choose Park Slope. I don't like the suburbs.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,231 times
A small 1 BR between a mother and child (especially a tween) will feel that much smaller really fast.

I would say broaden your horizons outside of Park Slope, it's expensive.

As for me, I would choose PA but that's because I've lived in NYC my whole life.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,385 times
I'd choose another neighborhood besides Park Slope.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
If the tween loves NY and is bored in PA, why drag them out to PA?

I know someone who did exactly this same thing -- moved from BK to PA because PA made more sense by the numbers ... initially.

Commute and parking at train was costly and crowded -- also very long. Could not get into NYC without a very big production and almost never on off peak times.

Also the bargain apt. complex decided to make everyone pay their own heat. And it was the most inefficient and costly heat of all -- electric. She left PA for that reason -- it was no longer a bargain.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
You should also consider the options for getting a good education. The regular public schools in NYC are not always conducive to academic development while private schools can be very expensive (over and above your expensive rent). "Experiences" cannot be a substitute for quality academic education.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Connection View Post

Honestly now. Which would you choose For raising tween who will be 18 in a few years ? BTW tween LOVES NY and is bored in PA.

BTW. I am an artist and thrive on the arts, and all the culture, cafe's museums etc nY has to offer. Just want to make sure doing right thing for my child.

here's the deal.
Affordable Nice Ny apartment in section which is prime. 10 Minutes to manhattan. train one block away. Great schools. 4 blocks from FAMOUS Prospect Park which has carousel, huge sand boxes;about 10 swings in a row. then ten more yeards away. super uber slides. cotton candy, hot dog vendore, balloons, cheese steak trucks. falafal and MORE! yes! in the park!! horse back riding. ducks. row boats and peddle boats.Some feel Better Prospect park is better than Central Park. I love both.

Apt walking distance to upscale cafes, museums, skating rink in park, libraries, zoo, botanical gardens and more! everything at your finger tips. bank, food market, post office and more. And all the culture, fun, and anything imaginable in New York city !!! yet small apt. which i don't mind. trade off is culture, great education and fun for kid.

or suburban life. only 3 attractions for children. really nothing stimulating for a child. yet. it IS suburbia life.great schools. huge apt. honestly. NOTHING stimulating for a child. small parks (only a few which only have a swingset with 4 swings, and slide). yet you can travel 1 and half hours to larger city. mountain viws. lots of woods and rivers. didn't list as much because honestly that really IS all.

Additional Details

FORGOT! apt has POOL.

NY APT 4 blocks from band shell in park which has FREE concerts to performers such a Nora Jones, famous jazz, r&b, classical, country artists and MORE. 10 minute ride to ONE of many beaches.
great beaches
It sounds like you live in Park Slope or Prospect Heights, if what you say is true and you have access to good schools, I think NY is better for a tween and a teenager.
The benefits of PA are larger sq footage for your apartment and good schools, I'm assuming the last part. But then what?

I mean you sound like someone who enjoys culture and being in close proximity to alot of things, plus you live in an affordable apartment in a decent and relatively safe area. When your tween gets old enough to hang out with friends but not old enough to drive, he/she will not have to depend on you for getting around with public transportation.

It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up, I mean the biggest thing for a child that age is education and both give you the option of good schools, so I would say do what you both feel comfortable with and fits your lifestyle without jeapordizing your child's education.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If the tween loves NY and is bored in PA, why drag them out to PA?

I know someone who did exactly this same thing -- moved from BK to PA because PA made more sense by the numbers ... initially.

Commute and parking at train was costly and crowded -- also very long. Could not get into NYC without a very big production and almost never on off peak times.

Also the bargain apt. complex decided to make everyone pay their own heat. And it was the most inefficient and costly heat of all -- electric. She left PA for that reason -- it was no longer a bargain.
I have friends who live on the PA/NJ border, and one of them commutes to NYC 4 times a week. Their advice? Look for work closer to home if you live in PA. The commute between PA and NYC is 2 hours easily no matter how you slice it unless you work off hours. I personally wouldn't do it and I can see how it would get stressful, but surely she knew that risk going in anyway.

As for the heat situation, she could have moved where it was gas heat instead of electric.

What I'm saying is weigh your options out and do the proper research when you move to another state. Know what you're getting yourself into and what sacrifices you will have to make and be sure you are willing to make them, especially if your lifestyle is drastically affected.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Connection View Post

here's the deal.

Additional Details

FORGOT! apt has POOL.

great beaches
You don't want to live in a small 1br apartment with a teenager. I would say under any circumstances. I would find a different apartment elsewhere for cheaper that is 2br.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City