Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 52,044 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we're considering a great place in Park Slope: large apartment, under-priced, renovated. Issue is, it's right above a restaurant and a bar. We went at night and it was fairly quiet, but our fears are mice and roaches. We have a cat so maybe that would keep mice away? Have you ever lived above a bar/restaurant and have advice on this?

Also, there is no place for trash (landlord offered to put bins in hallway outside of our apartment) until trash days (Mon/Thurs). Is that legal?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM

116 posts, read 145,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyk1987 View Post
Hi all - we're considering a great place in Park Slope: large apartment, under-priced, renovated. Issue is, it's right above a restaurant and a bar. We went at night and it was fairly quiet, but our fears are mice and roaches. We have a cat so maybe that would keep mice away? Have you ever lived above a bar/restaurant and have advice on this?

Also, there is no place for trash (landlord offered to put bins in hallway outside of our apartment) until trash days (Mon/Thurs). Is that legal?

Thanks for any advice!
I've lived above a restaurant / bar for the past 4 years (AND the building was constructed 100+ years ago), and haven't ever had any issues with either roaches or rodents. YMMV. My street consists of a row of bars / restaurants as well, so there is also one that shares a wall with me - no noise, no other issues. Can you talk to other tenants in the building, or have your LL agree to send an exterminator monthly (ours does the latter).

Old 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
I lived above a bar once in midtown. It was very loud and the apartment had mice. I didn't stay there long.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 12-15-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 02:30 PM

415 posts, read 514,406 times
what sort of restaurant?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:31 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
I once lived a few floors above some restaurants and what was a nasty surprise was the private carting companies that came 3-4am to haul away the trash. I'd be interested to know if mattie180 has had the same problem (apparently not) or if I was just unlucky.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
what sort of restaurant?
It's a trendy, fairly low key cocktail/craft beer/southern food hipster type place. We have eaten there and like the scene.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I once lived a few floors above some restaurants and what was a nasty surprise was the private carting companies that came 3-4am to haul away the trash. I'd be interested to know if mattie180 has had the same problem (apparently not) or if I was just unlucky.
This is a great point. I will definitely check on this with the broker because we already have to worry about a busy (5th ave bk) street.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Have always lived above a restaurant in one way or another and have never had an issue with pest yet. Right now I live above 4 in a walkup and my place is about as clean as I let it be.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyk1987 View Post
I will definitely check on this with the broker because we already have to worry about a busy (5th ave bk) street.
Don't expect the broker to answer honest. Ask a tenant who lives there.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:17 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Do you know what the bar's hours are? We lived next to a pub (might as well have been above it) somewhere once, and after hours no one left the area; they hung around, had loud conversations on the phone and with each other, a few fights, some whooplas when their team won, and vomited in the alley outside our windows. I wouldn't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City