Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
There are more immigrants coming from Asia now than Latin America.

Yes, the Latino population is the fastest growing of all groups not just African Americans.

Let us not overlook that conditions in some places in Latin America have improved or somewhat improved.

Also, one that few seem to speak of...the growing African immigrant population. It's still increasing.
All this is actually irrelevant.

The point was that there are no shortage of newcomers that businesses can get to live further out yet commute to central areas of NYC to do working class jobs.

Therefore the city does not care that the marketplace via gentrification has priced some people out.

Landlords, real estate agencies, and sellers are in the real estate business for the money. Not out of the goodness of their hearts. They charge what the market will bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM

236 posts, read 271,836 times
Is it even possible to get rid of public housing? I always see discussion of it, but don't really understand how they would be able to do that and force the low income people out onto the streets. How does that work?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
Is it even possible to get rid of public housing? I always see discussion of it, but don't really understand how they would be able to do that and force the low income people out onto the streets. How does that work?
Yup all politicians have a price and im sure developers are devising plans on how much to throw at the ther souless individuals to do their bidding.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
quote:

Rent vouchers and shoving the poors out to the suburbs. Suburban poverty is increasing intensely. The fauxburnists don't give a crap about that though, as long as their new urban playcation adult romper room spots are free of those poor people. If you want TRUE diversity, it's best to move to the suburbs now. Inner cities are becoming major white-bread land.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
You don't have to kick anyone out into the streets. Most of the housing projects are those brown, brick towers-in-the-park buildings. What they have are plenty of underutilized/wasted space devoted to lawns, parking lots, basketball courts, garbage/dumpsters, etc.

You would build a building on those open space first. Then move residents in one of the older buildings into that new building. Then demolish the old and vacated building and build the second on that. Keep repeating until all the older buildings are replaced with new ones.

Of course you would build following the street grid instead of the original superblock. In effect, you would remove the urban scar that was created back in the 60's Robert Moses era. The new buildings will be mix use (have retail on the ground floors and apartments above).

Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
I dont understand these implants. What's so appealing about moving to these neighborhoods to live in a 2br apt with 4 roommates and pay $3200/month in rent? Is life in Iowa THAT bad that you're willing to live under such conditions here?

Old 01-05-2016, 06:44 AM

931 posts, read 801,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I dont understand these implants. What's so appealing about moving to these neighborhoods to live in a 2br apt with 4 roommates and pay $3200/month in rent? Is life in Iowa THAT bad that you're willing to live under such conditions here?
I don't mind people from Iowa migrating to NYC. In fact, these people from Iowa make better residents than the hood people they are supposedly displacing. They're more civilized. Anything to get rid of the hood demographics in NYC I am 100% in favor for. These people gotta go if they can't act right.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 AM

320 posts, read 283,288 times
By far my favorite analogy is calling gentrification neo colonialism in a metaphorical sense. Any new ny'ers want to school me on how its not with your pc philosophical perspectives than give me a history lesson about the evils of 19th century colonialism.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
I don't mind people from Iowa migrating to NYC. In fact, these people from Iowa make better residents than the hood people they are supposedly displacing. They're more civilized. Anything to get rid of the hood demographics in NYC I am 100% in favor for. These people gotta go if they can't act right.
Agreed. Besides you get what you pay for. With working people in these areas, the neighborhoods end up with better services and amenities. The city gets a tax base instead of having to spend money on hood people.

Of course the hood people are welcome to stay provided they WORK for IT!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You don't have to kick anyone out into the streets. Most of the housing projects are those brown, brick towers-in-the-park buildings. What they have are plenty of underutilized/wasted space devoted to lawns, parking lots, basketball courts, garbage/dumpsters, etc.

You would build a building on those open space first. Then move residents in one of the older buildings into that new building. Then demolish the old and vacated building and build the second on that. Keep repeating until all the older buildings are replaced with new ones.

Of course you would build following the street grid instead of the original superblock. In effect, you would remove the urban scar that was created back in the 60's Robert Moses era. The new buildings will be mix use (have retail on the ground floors and apartments above).
This is already happening where they tore down Prospect Plaza in Brooklyn. The new buildings are apart of the street grid with retail on the ground floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: