Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:38 AM

167 posts, read 306,123 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of using a moving company for a long distance move, and wow what a sketchy industry. Regardless, I live in a 1 bedroom apt in Manhattan, a relevant detail to assume how big/small the place might be and how much junk I've accumulated.

My 'space' estimates put me at around 200 cubic feet, which is apparently pretty low to these moving companies. It makes me wonder if I have estimated correctly.

Anyway, how many boxes did you wind up packing, or how much cubic feet did you end up having in their trucks? (ultimately, how much did it cost you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Unless you have some really large and valuable items, it may often be better just to sell everything here and buy it new on the other side of the country. Especially if we're just talking about basic furniture and stuff. The cost and hassle of moving it hundreds or thousands of miles is more than just getting new stuff.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:16 PM

72 posts, read 261,044 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Unless you have some really large and valuable items, it may often be better just to sell everything here and buy it new on the other side of the country. Especially if we're just talking about basic furniture and stuff. The cost and hassle of moving it hundreds or thousands of miles is more than just getting new stuff.
Yep, that's what I did when I moved from NY to Florida and from Georgia to NY. I kept my stuff when I moved from FL to GA because I was able to rent a Uhaul and drive in 8 hours. But for a long trip, it's way too expensive to pay for a move. Cheaper to sell your stuff and start over. My most recent move was November 2014. I came with my clothes, my laptop and my cat

Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
For anything important, there's always FedEx ground. Just open an account with them and they'll even pick it up. They weigh it and charge your account. Otherwise, just sell your stuff there and buy new at the other end.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
I moved from NY to CA and it was about $2800. This was 8 years ago. I can't recall the space I used on the truck or even the company. It was a smaller local company that contracted with a big company. I moved from a 450 sq foot apt. Everything arrived as it should. I would not even consider using a company if they don't offer you a free home inspection of what you are transporting. It is a very sketchy business and you don't want to think you will be moving for $1000 and have it be $2000 when it arrives.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 01-09-2016 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 05:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
They wanted to add an EXTRA thousand dollars (THOUSAND dollars) if they took my dog! (and btw, it's not even kosher to even do that anyway...)

*i was pricing moving companies from NYC to California last year...

Put everything you have in storage cheaply and hope and pray you can come back one day and get your stuff back. That's my goal. Not furniture though, but other stuff. Sadly, I am a video game hoarder and will NOT leave NYC without my video games.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
I am thinking of using a moving company for a long distance move, and wow what a sketchy industry. Regardless, I live in a 1 bedroom apt in Manhattan, a relevant detail to assume how big/small the place might be and how much junk I've accumulated.

My 'space' estimates put me at around 200 cubic feet, which is apparently pretty low to these moving companies. It makes me wonder if I have estimated correctly.

Anyway, how many boxes did you wind up packing, or how much cubic feet did you end up having in their trucks? (ultimately, how much did it cost you)
To avoid problems with long distance moves, always use one of the big established moving companies: Allied, Atlas, North American Van Lines, Mayflower, United or Graebel. Interstate moving rates are competitive so always get several estimates. Moving cost is based on weight. The van drivers know how to load those big trailers. They take your furniture apart and pack the van floor to ceiling with very little wasted space. One big van can hold the contents of several houses or 1/2 dozen apartments + a car or 2.

The moving company may give a firm price or may allow for a slight adjustment if your stuff weighs more than they estimated. Ask for a firm price.

There are many fraudulent moving companies out there who will quote you a very low rate and then either disappear with your stuff or show up and demand an exorbitant amount to unload.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I used OZ moving Co to go NYC>San Diego. They were great on both sides of the move. No hustles.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
To avoid problems with long distance moves, always use one of the big established moving companies: Allied, Atlas, North American Van Lines, Mayflower, United or Graebel. .
Those names bought back my memory. I believe it was National that moved my stuff cross country.
Also there is a GREAT moving forum. Moving scam, I believe is the name. I learned a lot about that before my move.
The second time I moved cross country, back to NY from LA I only moved boxes. I didn't want any of my furniture so I sold it all there. Maybe had about 20 large boxes and that was $1200 I believe. I used a company I found on that web-site. I don't recall that companies name but they were pretty good just took a bit longer to get my stuff.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

15,634 posts, read 10,390,278 times
When I moved to Texas from Manhattan a little over 3 years ago the movers charged me $6000. I didn't pack my stuff myself, however. The moving company did all the packing. I used Allied and they were great, nothing broke and the delivery price didn't change from the estimated price, but it took almost two weeks before my stuff arrived in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: