Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Crime tended to max out in NYC in 1990 (during Dinkins firs year in office), crime declined in each of his last three years in office. The overall pace of the declines did pick up as the 90's progressed while Rudy was in office. The crime declines in NYC did outpace the nation, but tended to follow a similar pattern Crime rates in NYC did begin to decline slightly earlier than the country as a whole (peaked in the nation around 92/93), and started to decline, the declines nationwide (and across a bunch of other cities as well) really picked up steam during the mid and late 90's.
By Dinkins last year in office, murders were still higher than that of any other non-Dinkins year in NYC history. So they maxed out in Dinkins first year, but stayed elevated compared to any other previous year until Dinkins left office. Any noticeable percentage drop occured under Giuliani, and started in year one. While Dinkins gets credit for the top 4 years in history, and all this in only 4 years in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:32 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
His reactions to the series of unjustified police shootings was dismal, but unless someone has audio of him expressing openly anti-black attitudes, then to call someone racist is simply conjuncture. Stop and Frisk numbers under his watch are actually comparable to DeBlasio's first two years thus far. His manner and style of politicking and communication was divisive and unhelpful, however like any public official he deserves to be evaluated based on his tangible accomplishments. To say the city is somehow a worse place because of him vs better simply isn't going to gain much traction with those who truly understand the context in which he was mayor.

The reality is that crime is most concentrated in NY's African-American and Puerto Rican communities. Yes, I do fully realize that historical injustices and current structural barriers play a large role in that, but the reality is what it is. Any attempts to address issues with law & order will disproportionately be felt in those two communities for better or worse. Ideally it would be nice to have a mayor who can both work with communities while at the same time continue to hold the line on maintaining a safe and orderly city.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
I'm an out of town guy, I live in Montreal, Canada and I love it out in new York. I have a lot of friends there, I visit often. Plan to eventually come for an internship hopefully during my studies in politics and municipal administration. With everything going on in new York, I could learn so much within the municipal and how it works. I was reading on past NYC mayors and Rudy is someone I looked-up.

I knew him since I was little, I know he did a lot for the city, I read the Mob had a possible hit on him, cleaned out Time Square and such. He seemed pretty good, especially with the 9/11 attacks.

But I was curious, for those living at that time, 90s and post Giuliani, how effective was he, how did you guys find him? I'm just curious to read from new Yorkers instead of articles.

I mean, I'm pretty sure anyone will say he's better or anyone is than your current mayor (how did he get elected if you all hate him so much?)
He helped to destroy NYC. I guess that's all water over the dam at this point.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Giuliani presented himself as a conservative when he ran for president but he was nothing more than a police state big government friendly politician. What did he actually do for NY that wasn't liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: