Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I saw the video and interpreted what he said in his thick Dominican Spanish. I'm not sure if it is true or not. I caught the same feeling as well through his video that he was playing a white Knight and he was good to her. She was talking to 7 different guys at the time while he was also with her.
So basically she was a prostitute getting money from multiple dudes. Now nothing justifies him doing what he did, however this goes to show that this didn't happen in isolation to some poor innocent woman. The kind of lady he was with causes trouble by sleeping with multiple dudes/playing them.

Sometimes these women have the dudes fighting over them, only this man didn't fight over her. Instead he flipped out on her.

You have to be careful when you play with people like that (male or female). They may flip out on you. And it's not just men who go crazy in these situations. Women too flip out on their husbands. Lorena Bobbit got mad at her abusive husband for cheating on her and we all know what she did. With that said what she too did is wrong and nothing justifies what she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes. This is stereotypical.

If this dude was of another ethnic background we know what the comments would be.
I'm not saying any ethnic group is by nature abusive.

However I've spoken to women from backgrounds such as India or Pakistan where women's rights aren't as advanced as they are in Western societies and people victims of abuse in these immigrants communities in the West can have issues reaching out for help. This is well known in social services and more is being done to outreach and educate people in these communities as many victims don't know where to go. It's even worse for people coming from non English speaking countries, particularly if they haven't learned English.

So my comments certainly aren't stereotypical, it's just that much of the developing world isn't as progressive as the West on these issues and that can affect these communities in the West.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So? Just because a stopped clock is right twice a day doesn't mean anything.

If the guy felt he was being played for a chump all he had to do was pick up and leave. If it was his place throw the girl out; providing she and the kid had some place to go.

There is no excuse for any man to put his hands on a female, much less parade her through the streets of Harlem like Lady Godiva.
True. There's no excuse for for violence, and especially this degree of violence and degradation.

At the same time it was an issue of a garbage woman getting with a garbage man. This is not an indication of normal male behavior.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 AM

I can actually see this dude after he gets out of jail get back with his girlfriend. He's an abusive psycho, she's a cheating, playing, liar.

Meaning they both may like the drama. Now I can't say it will happen because maybe they will be done with each other, but I am not at all convinced. Sometimes the worst couples will never break up long term.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What's your point?
He said he regrets what he did.

I didn't hear the maybe like another poster said but this is what manipulative people do. I also stated that I didn't see any videos and saw minimal coverage of the story in the news.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I can actually see this dude after he gets out of jail get back with his girlfriend. He's an abusive psycho, she's a cheating, playing, liar.

Meaning they both may like the drama. Now I can't say it will happen because maybe they will be done with each other, but I am not at all convinced. Sometimes the worst couples will never break up long term.
Many people are addicted to toxic relationships. I know someone in one.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
She has a three month old daughter with him.

Which begs the question, what was her relationship with her father? Was he even in the picture? Or was he a figure who just came and went?

Something tells me this woman herself might not have had a stable family background herself. She's 22 and already a baby? Doesn't sound like she comes from a middle class family herself, and that maybe a factor.

Last but not least living in a shelter is rough so if the women doesn't have the resources to support herself or the skills to get decent employment she is stuck in the house with the man, or will always be trying to get money from him.
It depends. The boyfriend is from the Dominican Republic. I'm assuming that she is also from the Dominican Republic and not American. She lives in an partially immigrant community that is blurred in with Washington Heights meets Harlem. 22 is not early to have kids. If she was 16 years old, I would have find this situation extremely troublesome and disturbing. But this woman is 22 and a grown woman. Also she is a Dominican. In the DR lots of women have kids very early, except those who are esteemly educated, upper class individuals or part of the intelligentsia. When I last visited DR, even middle class women had kids young and some where single parents with no baby father in sight.

Quote:
Well you could start out by calling 911 if something like this did happen to you. The first step is to file a police report against highly criminal behavior and if an American woman is too dumb to that she needs help. Of course don't fight with the guy as he can kill you, but try to play along till you can escape.

After you do file charges against the guy, don't stay with him or any sympathetic people towards him. Get a restraining order. Do not go back to him if/when he gets out of jail. If you need financial help because you were dependent upon him seek out social services.

Middle class people tend to have good educations and they tend not to have children early. A 22 year year old woman of color in NYC is likely on welfare if she has a baby. Notice they never mention what either the abuse or the victim did for work. Probably because they didn't. These are ghetto people I'm sorry to say. But socioeconomics is definitely a part of this foolishness. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that they were both drug addicts.
Even this is over generalization imo, I have to say that I agree with this. Lets factor in that the woman is an immigrant, and most likely not from a middle class family. Middle class folks in developing countries tend to remain in their country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dominican, my countryman. Smh
This is not the first time. I remember watching a video of Dominican and Haitian men using a cutlass against a Dominican woman that slept around with numerous men. Nasty form of retribution.

Quote:
Or from the woman's own background.

In NYC you're dealing with immigrant groups that come from countries where women may have little recourse in this sort of situation. A woman who knows American culture and systems will know what to do. A woman who doesn't know the system here isn't as likely, and even more so if she doesn't speak the language.

A lot of Latinos I know will say abuse of women is a lot more tolerated in Latin America. This is not to stereotype all Latinos as a certain way, but keep in mind countries are at different points in their development on this issue.

In Muslim countries if a daughter is raped the family may kill the DAUGHTER for being the VICTIM of a RAPE for shaming their FAMILY.

But back to some of my other posters, poverty, lack of education/knowledge about the main society in NYC, cultural issues can all contribute to women from marginalized communities not being as willing or able to seek out the necessary resources to help.
I knew of a female friend who had a similar situation. She has workers visa and married to an immigrant. I'm not sure how but she went to authorities and proved that she was being abused. She did not know what to do at first and she thought she would have been stuck with an abusive husband forever. But she was also afraid of deportation, not getting her worker visa renewed, or loosing her children. She is a Latina.

As for muslim countries or Eastern countries per say. YOu have lots of honor killings where people kill family members who damaged family name or reputation.

Quote:

If this dude was of another ethnic background we know what the comments would be.
It is, stereotypical but these type of nuances go in certain cultures in certain parts of the world. We don't live in an isolated world anymore. We are more connected than ever and stories like this get crossed around the world 10x over at the speed of light. NyWriterdude made the most sense in this whole thread.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:30 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:

Looks like someone turned on the broken record.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:34 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
So basically she was a prostitute getting money from multiple dudes. Now nothing justifies him doing what he did, however this goes to show that this didn't happen in isolation to some poor innocent woman. The kind of lady he was with causes trouble by sleeping with multiple dudes/playing them.

Sometimes these women have the dudes fighting over them, only this man didn't fight over her. Instead he flipped out on her.

You have to be careful when you play with people like that (male or female). They may flip out on you. And it's not just men who go crazy in these situations. Women too flip out on their husbands. Lorena Bobbit got mad at her abusive husband for cheating on her and we all know what she did. With that said what she too did is wrong and nothing justifies what she did.
I watched a man die at my feet over a situation like this. Supposedly he refused to admit that she was cheating on him with multiple guys until one of them stuck an ice pick through his heart without saying a word as soon as he opened the door.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:30 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
I don't know the full background of this story since I haven't heard BOTH sides but maybe she deserved the beating/humiliation. The reality is that if you act like a hoe then you get treated like one and you therefore forfeit your womanhood.

I just hope that the boyfriend actually confirmed whether she cheated or not before implementing any discipline, if not, then the beating was unwarranted. If I had a girlfriend and I could actually PROVE that she was cheating then she may be subject to the same consequences.

Hopefully this serves as a lesson to both people involved.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-23-2016 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City