Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,055,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How much time should we give? The other ethnics groups are just recent immigrants in the last decade or two and are already buying up properties and building towers in NYC while Mexicans have always been part of the population since the creation of the Americas.

Until I see many Doctors, Entrepreneurs, Judges, Investment Bankers, etc that are Mexicans they won't get any notice in the Food chain.
I actually see Mexicans replacing Whites that have donimnated the union trades. Just look at who are the roofers, and filling all the other construction trades. While those jobs are not glamorous they do pay well and apparently can be passed onto your kids. However they will be limited in terms of what they can achieve because they may not be able to connect on a personal level with whites in high positions that decide who to give government contracts to. And that's where the big money is at instead of residential home renovations.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-29-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Smh.. All I said was that I hardly or, to make it clearer for you, occasionally see or know they're mexicans. You want me to go out of my way and look and ask for them?

And why do I have to go to some area or neighborhood I have no businness going to.
Eh, you made a blanket statement earlier, you were wrong in those statements because you had a small sample size of your own personal bubble which doesn't really scale up for general statements. These are simple facts and you can get the data from the census or actually go to any of the neighborhoods mentioned. So congrats, now you know! It's pretty much as simple as that.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,793,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I actually see Mexicans replacing Whites that have donimnated the union trades. Just look at who are the roofers, and filling all the other construction trades. While those jobs are not glamorous they do pay well. However they will be limited in terms of what they can achieve because they may not be able to connect on a personal level with whites in high positions that decide who to give government contracts to. And that's where the big money is at instead of residential home renovations.
Mexicans have always dominated union trades, that's exactly what businesses want to upend unions. I don't think it's praise worthy. Often these contractors use Mexicans and do a poor job, just look at the BQE project and how long that has been in the works.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Mexicans have always dominated union trades, that's exactly what businesses want to upend unions. I don't think it's praise worthy. Often these contractors use Mexicans and do a poor job, just look at the BQE project and how long that has been in the works.
They have dominated those jobs, but most are not in the union so they only get a fraction of the $$ that union guys get. I think one day they'll dominate those trade unions because they have the skills and numbers. And while its nothing to brag about at least it's one step below white collar jobs requiring an education which isn't so shabby. In the long run to advance in those trades they need to own the companies that these large developers/gov't deal with and that's when they may hit a wall due to cultural barriers.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,528,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
North Mexico along the US border has a history of mixing between indigenous and Spanish settlers. After the Mexican American war with the seizure of vast swaths of the west. Plenty of Anglo American settlers moved out west and intermixed with the Mexican population. Also North Mexico also has similar racial features as Mexicans in the Southwest with elements of Native, Spanish and Anglo influences. Here in NYC the Mexicans are from South Mexico along the Guatemala border. The Mexicans you see here are not from the Central Mexican Valley, or not from touristy Yucatan or from the gang drug ridden, but prosperous North Mexico. South Mexico is very native compared to Central Mexican Valley and North Mexico. Mexicans in NYC, Boston, NJ, NC, DC, VA all come from Puebla, Chiapas, Oaxaca and other cities of South Mexico. I met a Mexican woman last year, she was from Mexico City which is just as Cosmopolitan as NYC and lived with transplantish roommates in an hip neighborhood in Brooklyn. She was not shacking up with Mexicans from South Mexico in Sunset Park.

As for Asians looking white? I don't know. Maybe they are from Central Asia where folks intermixed with Persian, Russian, Chinese and Turkic tribes.

I'm no expert on Mexico, but living here in Mott Haven I got a chance to know a few and their customs.
Great post, I've made the same observations myself

I wonder why there aren't a lot of Mexicans on Long Island though, but a lot of Salvadorans and Hondurans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I took a trip to L.A last summer I notice there of White Mexicans there compare to North East. The Asians look Philippines compare to NYC.
The Mexican-Americans in California descend predominately from Jalisco to my understanding, Mexicans in Northern/Central Mexico have way more Spanish blood on average than Mexicans from Puebla or Oaxaca. The average Mexican in California or Texas looks mestizo (mixed European and native) while the Mexicans in New York and New Jersey are more native looking.

Quote:
They have dominated those jobs, but most are not in the union so they only get a fraction of the $$ that union guys get. I think one day they'll dominate those trade unions because they have the skills and numbers. And while its nothing to brag about at least it's one step below white collar jobs requiring an education which isn't so shabby. In the long run to advance in those trades they need to own the companies that these large developers/gov't deal with and that's when they may hit a wall due to cultural barriers.
Also, I'm guessing that guy is referring to Chinese immigrants, the Chinese who are "carving up land" are most likely wealthy Chinese investors and not Chinese immigrants.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Great post, I've made the same observations myself

I wonder why there aren't a lot of Mexicans on Long Island though, but a lot of Salvadorans and Hondurans

The Mexican-Americans in California descend predominately from Jalisco to my understanding, Mexicans in Northern/Central Mexico have way more Spanish blood on average than Mexicans from Puebla or Oaxaca. The average Mexican in California or Texas looks mestizo (mixed European and native) while the Mexicans in New York and New Jersey are more native looking.

Also, I'm guessing that guy is referring to Chinese immigrants, the Chinese who are "carving up land" are most likely wealthy Chinese investors and not Chinese immigrants.
The upscale lux apartments in Manhattan are mostly wealthy Chinese investors. The condos in the other boroughs are mostly built abd owned by uneducated Chinese immigrants that came here the past two decades. So not sure who he was referring to when he says "carving up land".

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,528,964 times
Quote:
The upscale lux apartments in Manhattan are mostly wealthy Chinese investors. The condos in the other boroughs are mostly built abd owned by uneducated Chinese immigrants that came here the past two decades. So not sure who he was referring to when he says "carving up land".
Yeah I'm not sure either, I would like him to clarify

Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
Quote:
Better to say that a small number of condos in the outer boroughs are owned by uneducated Chinese immigrants--most of them rent from wealthier often educated Chinese owners. And in the case of parts of Flushing and a bit of Forest Hills, it is actually wealthy Chinese investors buying things up. We're talking people with millions, maybe tens of millions, but not hundreds of millions. Still wealthy though--there's a reason why there are so many hotels and luxury condos in and around downtown Flushing.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times
Quote:
I actually see Mexicans replacing Whites that have donimnated the union trades. Just look at who are the roofers, and filling all the other construction trades. While those jobs are not glamorous they do pay well and apparently can be passed onto your kids. However they will be limited in terms of what they can achieve because they may not be able to connect on a personal level with whites in high positions that decide who to give government contracts to. And that's where the big money is at instead of residential home renovations.
I think many of the Mexicans who work in construction will have their kids get good educations, and will move into professional jobs. You see this in the Southwest a lot.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times
Quote:
How much time should we give? The other ethnics groups are just recent immigrants in the last decade or two and are already buying up properties and building towers in NYC while Mexicans have always been part of the population since the creation of the Americas.

Until I see many Doctors, Entrepreneurs, Judges, Investment Bankers, etc that are Mexicans they won't get any notice in the Food chain.
You see professional Mexicans like that in the Southwest. NYC Mexicans are RECENT arrivals from Mexico and often in the last 20 years. No group moves up that fast in NYC.

And the other groups are not building towers in NYC besides the Chinese. China is the world's second biggest economy and out of over one billion people there are clearly enough wealthy Chinese to do major investments in the world's great cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City