Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Buffets are usually more popular in conservative areas than liberal areas. Something about buffets just seems so unseemly and low class.
It's high class/liberal for the streets to be covered in feces? Is that now considered a sign of sophistication? Garbage and stagnant water (+ rats) on subway tracks as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
There are many deli's in the city with buffets. Also I know of quite a few Asian and Soul Food buffets, also on the weekends there are all you can eat buffet brunches so I would say it is more common than you've realized. Not all of them are all you can eat though most are pay by the pound. I did go to an Indian all you can eat in Murray Hill recently and it was very high quality.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Because all the fat effs live in the suburbs.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,368 times
I went to my first (and one of my only, thank God) buffets when I was 10. My dad took me and my brother to Old Country Buffet because they were having a special. I remember being SHOCKED... 300-400 pound+ people everywhere. We were definitely the thinnest bunch in the room lol

Old 02-05-2016, 06:10 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Probably because they are not profitable. The Asian buffet in Queens Village has been around a long time and I go once in awhile for the seafood. $22 per adult for dinner, includes lobster and snow crab legs!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:35 AM

432 posts, read 551,448 times
Simple reason...people are health and fitness minded. Ever notice the number of people running in Manhattan and hip Brooklyn?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:44 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol this? This is compleltely wrong. I highly doubt this. For traveling throughout America in my experiences, buffet are staple.

NYC is one of least American cities in the country besides San Francisco. In other parts of the country buffets are a mainstay. Being least American reflects on the cities eating culture. One thing I noticed way outside of the city is eating or food culture. Buffet are staples in places such as the South and out West. I'm sure their are buffet that exist in NYC, but probably exist in areas where there is high numbers of general American culture, and I'm not talking about sophisticated gentry folks either. Maybe in places like Harlem a buffet is probably around or in parts of Central Brooklyn or in Eastern Queens like Jamaica. I think there is a buffet here in Mott Haven. I think its like 4.99 a plate, but I have yet to eat there. I just don't like the idea of different people plucking out food with the same giant utensil where germs, bacteria and viruses can spread or cross contaminate. The best Buffet I have had was in Las Vegas and in DC. I think if NYC had more general American culinary culture, buffet would be a cultural mainstay in the city.
And yet, in traveling around Long Island, I found buffets all around Long Island in malls, shopping centers, in the downtowns of towns - villages et al, and standalone locations along highways or other roads or streets. So it is in the NYC metro area, maybe just not too much within NYC proper. Just like you don't find Walmarts within NYC proper but right on the edge of NYC proper and then outwards, you can find them (e.g., Bayonne, Valley Stream, etc.).

Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Buffets developed and live in the suburbs just as Deli's are more natural in the urban environment.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol this? This is compleltely wrong. I highly doubt this. For traveling throughout America in my experiences, buffet are staple.
Well, you can think this is wrong all you want (maybe it is) but I didn't pull it out of thin air. The theory comes from the researcher who runs freakonomics.com. All You Can Eatonomics | Lucky Peach

Surely you must agree, though, that the theory about profitability has to be true. If business onwers were sure this idea would be profitable in NYC, we would have it here in a heartbeat.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:18 AM

436 posts, read 564,885 times
There are plenty of buffets, but they're typically called "salad bars". I go to them often since I can actually pick what I want to eat which is nice from a nutritional standpoint. The trick is to find ones that are cheaper since they all have different prices as well as knowing how to pack your food to save yourself some money. Always put the meat at the bottom and spread out your vegetables/other stuff on a bigger surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City