Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 PM

213 posts, read 508,858 times

Advertisements

My company/job was scheduled to relocate to Connecticut sometime this month, pre-COVID. Now the move's been rescheduled for June, dependent on the quarantine being lifted in NYC by then.

I was hoping to find work elsewhere in the city prior to this move (and this pandemic). However, a job with a burdensome 90-minute commute has now turned into my lifeline given the job market at this time, so I'm looking to bite the bullet and relocate closer to Metro-North.

I have a lead on a great place that's open for June, but am concerned about doing so while we're still on lockdown. My prospective roommate assured that the household is COVID-free to his knowledge (as am I). I'm skittish, but need to make this move if I want to remain employed past next month.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
You need to negotiate with the company to work remote 3 days a week or move to CT.

You don't want to be commuting long distances in this environment. The virus is still around no matter what companies feel. Which means you can still get infected, be hospitalized and lose your job anyway since they seem like clueless a-holes that expect people to pack up and head with them. It's within the realm of expectations that they'd fire you over extended leave due to COVID.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
And as far as moving anywhere. No June is not safe. Stay put. People can guarantee themselves COVID19 free. That guarantee lasts as long as they need to go to the grocery store, which isn't long.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 AM

103 posts, read 92,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
My company/job was scheduled to relocate to Connecticut sometime this month, pre-COVID. Now the move's been rescheduled for June, dependent on the quarantine being lifted in NYC by then.

I was hoping to find work elsewhere in the city prior to this move (and this pandemic). However, a job with a burdensome 90-minute commute has now turned into my lifeline given the job market at this time, so I'm looking to bite the bullet and relocate closer to Metro-North.

I have a lead on a great place that's open for June, but am concerned about doing so while we're still on lockdown. My prospective roommate assured that the household is COVID-free to his knowledge (as am I). I'm skittish, but need to make this move if I want to remain employed past next month.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
This job is really not offering for you to go remote given the current circumstances? Have you discussed that with them at all? It's something you should definitely push for.

Also, how much time will you save on your commute by moving closer to Metro-North?

Old 05-12-2020, 09:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
If you have a roommate now, and you're just replacing your current roommate situation with another roommate, then I don't see the harm in moving.

IMO, the risks for getting covid are going to be mostly on public transportation, or from people you live with, or if you're in any kind of work/social situation where you have contact with people.

So it seems any way you look at it, you will have some risk.

If you're commuting 90 minutes each way vs 60 if you move closer to Metro North, then that cuts down one hour per day on public transport where you could be exposed to covid.

One other question to ask is what does the potential roommate do for work and how exposed will they be, with the chance of bringing it home? For example, do they work as an EMT or in a job where they encounter a lot of people? That's something to consider as well.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You need to negotiate with the company to work remote 3 days a week or move to CT.

You don't want to be commuting long distances in this environment. The virus is still around no matter what companies feel. Which means you can still get infected, be hospitalized and lose your job anyway since they seem like clueless a-holes that expect people to pack up and head with them. It's within the realm of expectations that they'd fire you over extended leave due to COVID.
My job is physical and unfortunately cannot be done remotely. I've already ruled out moving to CT because my company doesn't pay me anywhere near enough to be persuaded to cross state lines.

My company has gone to bat for me however, and has continued paying me over the last 8 weeks in quarantine. It's much appreciated considering a lot of peers in my industry are jobless/furloughed. Not sure if the need to hold on to my job or a sense of loyalty are what's gotten me in this dilemma....

I'm also skittish about the commute, but moving closer to Metro-North/125th would cut down what's currently looking like an abysmal 2-hour commute (from west Harlem, using subway/bus/commuter rail) to 90 minutes or so (using no more than subway/commute rail)

One of the potential roommates is in fitness (quarantined); the other two are nurses (working). Mentioned that the household is COVID-free up until now.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Let me just bring this up

Usually ppl moving into a new rental would buy cleaning supplies and do a thorough cleaning before moving in, even before this

If you can get the cleaning supplies you should be good

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 PM

103 posts, read 92,362 times
Quote:
My job is physical and unfortunately cannot be done remotely.
Ah, darn.

Quote:
moving closer to Metro-North/125th would cut down what's currently looking like an abysmal 2-hour commute (from west Harlem, using subway/bus/commuter rail) to 90 minutes or so (using no more than subway/commute rail)

One of the potential roommates is in fitness (quarantined); the other two are nurses (working). Mentioned that the household is COVID-free up until now.
Saving an hour round trip is worth the stress of moving imo. You're probably making the right choice to relocate.

But not just one, two nurses, huh? I'd personally try to find a different roommate situation.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Ah, darn.

Saving an hour round trip is worth the stress of moving imo. You're probably making the right choice to relocate.

But not just one, two nurses, huh? I'd personally try to find a different roommate situation.
I hear you; I'm casting a wide net and will end up passing on this lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City