Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,188 times

Advertisements

Been looking at the TN area of the Bronx for the last few months but recently started looking at the N Shore of SI. Coming from mid Brooklyn the commute will increase from 50 minutes to about 1 hour 15 min. Have looked around SI I like Rosebank, Some parts of Staplelton as they are closer to the ferry. Not sure about West New Brighton seems a little rough. With TN it is the distance to the train 6 line. Love Country Club but the price is out of our range. Get more house in SI for the money at the moment... New to this form have lived in NY all up about 9 years.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
Why so far away? Surely you could get near the same price in a closer neighborhood (like Pelham Parkway, Norwood, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge).

Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphoto1 View Post
Been looking at the TN area of the Bronx for the last few months but recently started looking at the N Shore of SI. Coming from mid Brooklyn the commute will increase from 50 minutes to about 1 hour 15 min. Have looked around SI I like Rosebank, Some parts of Staplelton as they are closer to the ferry. Not sure about West New Brighton seems a little rough. With TN it is the distance to the train 6 line. Love Country Club but the price is out of our range. Get more house in SI for the money at the moment... New to this form have lived in NY all up about 9 years.

Thanks

Stay east of Bement Avenue and West Brighton is fine for the most part all the way to Lafayette Avenue.

If you want to be even more safe stick south of Henderson Avenue (good) or even Castleton (better), or Forest (even better). However it all really depends block by block. You can see from my post about the "wealthy" parts of SI that West Brighton from Forest to Victory Blvd is one of the best parts of the Rock.

Rosebank is still pretty nice. Things are changing but you can still get that "old neighborhood" feeling. A plus is you are just off the SIE and the VNB is right there so getting off the Island doesn't mean slogging along the SIE.

You asked about Stapleton?
http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...rt_river_index

Last edited by BugsyPal; 01-12-2016 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 PM

432 posts, read 552,127 times
What exactly are you seeking? Commute to where? Are schools a consideration? Or just looking for more square footage per dollar spent? Please give more info.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:44 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
If you've been looking at TN, then surely you know that getting around this neighborhood (born and raised) is nearly impossible without a car. Second edubz post above - without more info, can't really recommend anything.

I live in TN and hate it. Getting out as quickly as I can.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Why so far away? Surely you could get near the same price in a closer neighborhood (like Pelham Parkway, Norwood, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge).
I would think despite the little uptick in cost to live in TN, the crime stats are much better. Though, that's changing pretty quickly. Lots of bad stuff going on lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
If you've been looking at TN, then surely you know that getting around this neighborhood (born and raised) is nearly impossible without a car. Second edubz post above - without more info, can't really recommend anything.

I live in TN and hate it. Getting out as quickly as I can.
That's cause you turned yourself into a Manhattan girl. :P I somewhat miss TN, probably more the people than the place.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
That's cause you turned yourself into a Manhattan girl. :P I somewhat miss TN, probably more the people than the place.
Ha! Not a Manhattan girl, that was just for a while. Kinda shows you what else is out there, though. The people are the worst part of the whole thing for me. The ones who i want to see/talk to, I do! The ones I don't want to see are hard to avoid. Even going into CVS is a nightmare.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Ha! Not a Manhattan girl, that was just for a while. Kinda shows you what else is out there, though. The people are the worst part of the whole thing for me. The ones who i want to see/talk to, I do! The ones I don't want to see are hard to avoid. Even going into CVS is a nightmare.
Where you looking to go next?
I don't miss it when I spend a few nights in a row at my parents'. Many of our mutual friends have started to scatter to other areas. One thing I miss all the time, is the variety of restaurants to eat in. Out by me, there's plenty but they all suck. LOL

Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 AM

462 posts, read 550,434 times
I would not recommend Staten Island if you work in midtown, if you work downtown the North Shore of Staten Island is a winner, affordable and commutable, closer and cheaper than the Throggs Neck area, and just as nice or nicer in most parts.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Suspect fires multiple shots into Mamajuana Cafe • Bronx Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City