Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:07 PM

126 posts, read 156,650 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound super racist, but that's not my intention. I'm just curious as to why everytime I go to downtown Brooklyn, especially near Atlantic Avenue/Mall, almost everyone I see is black. I believed this was a predominantly white neighborhood, or am I wrong?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Yes, you're wrong. It hasn't been a "predominantly white neighborhood" since before I was born.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
It is near a lot of predominately black neighborhoods and I'm guessing a lot of black people from those neighborhoods go there to shop (a la Southeast Queens and Green Acres Mall)

Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,920 times
Must have a homeless shelter/soup kitchen near by. I see a ton of homeless in Brooklyn Heights.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Many of them also work there, or go there to take care of various kinds of business.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
There's a simple answer.

White people, especially the upper class yuppies and trust funders who populate the white neighborhoods around Atlantic Mall do not shop there for the most part.

Same if you go to Kings Plaza, Gateway mall, or the Flatbush Ave Junction mall. You'll notice the majority of shoppers are blacks. These malls are located around black neighborhoods but there's a curious dearth of whites. Whites tend to shop in 'other' malls or simply do more of their shopping online.

There will be posters who poo-poo this explanation but as someone who grew up around these areas for 25+ years, I know the reasons. When you peel back the outer layer, NYC residents self segregate and these are some of the ways this occurs.

Once a mall/location is known to be patronized by a majority minority clientele, most whites will stay away. It is what it is. Look at what happened to Kings Plaza. My parents live in Bergen Beach and I went to Kings Plaza all the time. When I go now, I barely see any whites even though many still live around the area.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There's a simple answer.

White people, especially the upper class yuppies and trust funders who populate the white neighborhoods around Atlantic Mall do not shop there for the most part.

Same if you go to Kings Plaza, Gateway mall, or the Flatbush Ave Junction mall. You'll notice the majority of shoppers are blacks. These malls are located around black neighborhoods but there's a curious dearth of whites.

Whites tend to shop in other malls or simply do more of their shopping online.

There will be posters who poo-poo this explanation but as someone who grew up around these areas for 25+ years, I know the reasons. When you peel back the outer layer, NYC residents self segregate and these are some of the ways this occurs.

Once a mall/location is known to be patronized by a majority minority clientele, most whites will stay away. It is what it is.
Are you familiar with the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream? I think it might be a similar situation over there

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are you familiar with the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream? I think it might be a similar situation over there
I'm not familiar but I've lived in Brooklyn long enough, have seen the transformations of various neighborhoods (inc. white --> majority minority), and have talked to enough people to know why these things happen.

Hell, I do it myself.

I think the Gateway mall in Brooklyn is awesome but I barely go there because the atmosphere and vibe sucks (in my opinion). Being around people with nasty attitudes during my leisure time is not my idea of a good time. lol Plain and simple.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:08 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Downtown Brooklyn is historically a black neighborhood. As are Fort Greene and Prospect Heights, the immediately adjacent neighborhoods.
These neighborhoods are now all mixed, but there are still many black people living there; therefore, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see many black people there.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:08 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Once a mall/location is known to be patronized by a majority minority clientele, most whites will stay away. It is what it is. Look at what happened to Kings Plaza. My parents live in Bergen Beach and I went to Kings Plaza all the time. When I go now, I barely see any whites even though many still live around the area.
Documentary below outlines what you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5ukioKB9U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City