Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:52 PM

11 posts, read 14,992 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting grad school in June at Columbia University, right by New York Presbyterian on 168th. Right now I'm living in Nassau County on Long Island. Unfortunately there's no way I'm going to be able to withstand that commute from where I am, taking the LIRR then up to 168th everyday - so I have to move.

I'm leaning towards living in Riverdale and just taking the 1 train down, as that commute seems relatively easy, and is in a decent area. But in the back of my mind I am still wondering if I'd be able to do a slightly longer commute and live in say, Queens.

I don't have a problem moving closer, but staying near family / friends would be desirable (closer to long island), if it's not too crazy. From my estimation that would be about an hour commute each direction, depending on where in Queens I live. Accurate?

Though I live near the city I don't know it that well, so I'll gladly accept everyone's opinions!

Thanks

Last edited by uscg90; 02-15-2016 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
what is your budget?

i love big tiddays!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 14,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
what is your budget?

i love big tiddays!
Probably like $1600-1700. Might be able to stretch it a bit, but not much

Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM

You might be able to find a good deal in Washington heights/harlem.

No Fee-Priced to Rent ASAP-Sunny Studio-West of Broadway-Near A, C & 1
SPACIOUS [QUALITY] STUDIOS -- ((RENOVATED)) MUST SEE!

i found two below your range right near the hospital.

p.s. i love big tiddays!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg90 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be starting grad school in June at Columbia University, right by New York Presbyterian on 168th. Right now I'm living in Nassau County on Long Island. Unfortunately there's no way I'm going to be able to withstand that commute from where I am, taking the LIRR then up to 168th everyday - so I have to move.

I'm leaning towards living in Riverdale and just taking the 1 train down, as that commute seems relatively easy, and is in a decent area. But in the back of my mind I am still wondering if I'd be able to do a slightly longer commute and live in say, Queens.

I don't have a problem moving closer, but staying near family / friends would be desirable (closer to long island), if it's not too crazy. From my estimation that would be about an hour commute each direction, depending on where in Queens I live. Accurate?

Though I live near the city I don't know it that well, so I'll gladly accept everyone's opinions!

Thanks
The subway is inconsistent, and from time to time there are major delays. Your professors might not be to cool with you using MTA issues as an excuse. LIVE close to where you're going to school. It's better to be able to walk it.

Many students live within walking distance of Columbia and there is even student housing at Columbia if you want to do that.

Definitely don't do the Queens commute (too far). Riverdale is too far too because it really begins BEYOND the last stop of the 1 train. You'd need to take a bus to the train most likely.

Long commutes would really cut into your workload at Columbia.

A Queens commute that is one hour on way on a bad day could easily become TWO HOURS on a BAD day. Do not commute from Queens to Columbia. It makes no sense.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 AM

107 posts, read 219,301 times
You might want to look into Kingsbridge, right near the 1 train and west of Broadway. Lots of Manhattan college students and within your budget.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
You might want to look into Kingsbridge, right near the 1 train and west of Broadway. Lots of Manhattan college students and within your budget.
Even that completely makes no sense. It's better to live in the vicinity of the school. Right in Washington Heights.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even that completely makes no sense. It's better to live in the vicinity of the school. Right in Washington Heights.
I agree with Writerdude. Don't make your like complicated, OP!

Just live in Washington Heights (Hudson heights), UWS, UES, or Harlem (west side). You will be able to find a good deal. I found 2 for you and those are near the hospital.

If you live in Wash Heights, you will find yourself a nice latina with a big culo, big tiddays with eraser size nipples... You will also save on transportation since you could bike or walk to the hospital.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Pick somewhere in between inwood and west harlem to live. I'd choose to live near school personally so I could walk.
Will you be getting a job? If so you could also pick where that is located.
Forget about Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,062 times
Theres a studio for $1450 and a 1br for $1725 right there off of 168st. Try to be in the area if its your first time in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City