Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
In NY making $100k in finance is rather easy. You don't even need to know anything about finance to get hired at a big bank. There is a lot of people in finance not because they love the career but rather because it pays wells and it is a easy job. Departments like compliance have been on a hiring spree because of all the new regulations. You can easily make $100k on a tier 3 bachelor degree with 4-5 years experience in NY given the 30% inflated salary due to high cost of living. Making over $250k+ is much harder and tend to be a more selective group of people. There is a reason why housing is so expensive in NYC and it driven by the amount of $100k+ jobs in the area for the average person.
True, but some banks have already taken notice and will increasingly shift those easy decent paying jobs elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some people are interested in garbage, cop, or MTA jobs and for SOME people that's enough. Obviously not everyone thinks that way. Different strokes for different folks.

Some people on this thread seem to have a hard time comprehending that. There is no one way to a stable future. You have to find out what's best for you.
Two of my cousins one a NYC Detective the other recently retired Firefighter both have college degrees.

My neighbor who is a LIRR conductor has a Masters Degree.

Kinda of degrading that you think folks who do union blue collar jobs are not intellectual and attended college.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
That's usually the case in civil service. Tenure is important and one of the requisites before becoming a manager. Not many managers come from outside the agency or private. So a new managers ability to manage is often based on his or her performance as a rank and file civil servant. There is low turnover and civil servants often work their entire careers within the same agency and even department.

The main job of a manager is to give orders and control your staff. They delegate work accordingly so that all that's needed done is done and try to keep a happy staff working together.
I'm in a Fortune 50 company now, and find that management in this company is not significantly different from being a manager in government (or a manager in the military, which is what I was). Function follows form (size) in that regard.

It's not just a matter of "delegating work," but organizing resources and planning coverage for the contingencies that always come, some from outside the unit, some from inside. Keeping staff happy enough to remain optimally productive (dealing with the "hygiene factors" of both the physical and psychological work environment).

I once got assigned to be a superintendent of training in a 2,000 organization. Had a $1,000,000 budget, a training facility, and a staff of trainers--mostly IT trainers. But when I got there, I realized that there was a huge amount of contention already existing among the trainers. Bad blood all around.

It was not the happy, productive, cooperative crew that I wanted. What I discovered--and rectified--was that my predecessor had assigned courses to the instructors on a gender basis. The males taught the programming and development courses, the females were assigned the fluff stuff that large organizations have to pass on to the workers.

It took some management finesse even to find out what was going on without starting open war, then to rectify it took more management finesse to prevent the males from feeling like they were being punished and the females being favored as I swapped around assignments.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
This is why I think this whole emphasis on STEM and coding for kids is useless. Why would I hire 98% of local kids who aren't even good with some exceptions and may be demanding in terms of pay and benefits when I can pay less and choose the best talent from India. It's a no brainer.
Yup, by doing so we are limiting local jobs to only certain non-STEM less specialized roles that anyone can fill.

I was used to seeing more college grads every year at a large company at new hire orientations. Now I'm seeing less, more elite college grads, and more on-boarding programs for immigrant or over-seas workers.

Most new jobs created within companies are for coordinators, project managers, and business communication related jobs.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
In NY making $100k in finance is rather easy. You don't even need to know anything about finance to get hired at a big bank. There is a lot of people in finance not because they love the career but rather because it pays wells and it is a easy job. Departments like compliance have been on a hiring spree because of all the new regulations. You can easily make $100k on a tier 3 bachelor degree with 4-5 years experience in NY given the 30% inflated salary due to high cost of living. Making over $250k+ is much harder and tend to be a more selective group of people. There is a reason why housing is so expensive in NYC and it driven by the amount of $100k+ jobs in the area for the average person.
Banks are starting to freeze hiring for those finance jobs. I'm at a big bank and they've eliminated many finance jobs for divisions and exchanges that have taken a lot of losses. Most of the finance hiring are for specialized finance majors those that have degrees in math and statistics to help firm crunch numbers and run program trading. Whoever have the skills can easily make over $200k in just 1-2 yrs.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Two of my cousins one a NYC Detective the other recently retired Firefighter both have college degrees.

Kinda of degrading that you think folks who do union blue collar jobs are not intellectual and attended college.
Having a degree does not make you an intellectual. No one goes to a top school to work for the LIRR as a conductor or the NYPD. It costs 60k-80kper year to attend a top private university, or more depending on the program and school. That is not degrading, it is simply the reality of the market. I said nothing to disparage blue collar workers.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
100k is not that easy. They are getting resumes from recent graduates from around the world. Those jobs are competitive.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
the usa must have alot of dumb, lazy, unproductive people.. looking back at highschool, most were dumb jocks or pop culture obsessed kids. standards for grades have gotten so low as well via common core. the usa spends the most in world in education and is ranked #30 in results. this may be why general liberal arts college degrees matter less and less, because they carry less weight via dilution of the entire education chain.

the students who realy do stand out have parents who pay for supplemental education to prepare for AP exams and get them into top schools. they're the minority.. and we live in a culture where intelligence, is looked down on.. probably the only country like that in the world.. they refer to bright, academically inclined kids as nerds and bully them.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post

there are lots of people who take on other occupations after college that they never really thought of. in the end, you probably end up with more earnings and savings where job is guaranteed and steady, and have retirement benefits. i know a lawyer who graduated from NYU law, worked at a high profile law firm (80 hour workweeks), and decided to take over her parent's dry cleaning business after 10 year and is now clearing more than she ever did working as a lawyer and working half the hours. her shop doesn't even do the work, they outsource it to the chinese and vietnamese in cleaning factories nearby for fraction of what it used to cost to do it in house. when people are younger, they're obsessed with status and their jobs defining them. i bet your cop cousins never thought, "hey i'm gonna be a cop" when they were applying for college.. as one gets older, that matters less and financial security, more.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 03-03-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 03:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yup, by doing so we are limiting local jobs to only certain non-STEM less specialized roles that anyone can fill.

I was used to seeing more college grads every year at a large company at new hire orientations. Now I'm seeing less, more elite college grads, and more on-boarding programs for immigrant or over-seas workers.

Most new jobs created within companies are for coordinators, project managers, and business communication related jobs.
The stupid thing is most of these guys are over qualified. You don't need a masters or PhD to work on back office systems. Companies can just spend more money on training and hire more staff instead of hiring the best which would be the patriotic thing to do lol.. But since there's an abundance of them why not hire the best talent you can at the lowest cost. If it doesn't work out then don't sponsor them for a greencard and they'll eventually leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City