Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM

142 posts, read 259,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Probably similar to jamaica the country...or africa...lol. No seriously. not a nice place.
Racist much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
My old neighborhood in Laurelton. I took this picture on a weekend afternoon last summer. I have never seen such a quiet block. When I lived there people were out and about. Kids playing. I certainly didn't feel like there was any danger there. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23051302/226th%20Street.jpg

Travel to Manhattan is lousy but if you work on Long Island or in Queens, it's pretty good. Parking is great - garages and alleys, and no alternate side of the street rules.

Schools: Lottery options for elementary & middle schools in District 29.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out PS/IS 208, which has a 'B' rating. Publications - Elementary Schools - New York City Department of Education

Old 03-25-2012, 01:22 PM

387 posts, read 679,907 times
My Mommy was from Jamica estates. Back in the day it was very nice, it took a real down turn in the late 70's & 80's. It was a real ***** hole. It began to come back in the late 90's.

I drove past my Grandparents house a few weeks ago actually. I had not been there since we sold the house after my Grandfather died in 2001. I was quite impressed with how great the old neighborhood looked.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM

11 posts, read 22,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
Racist much?
Your comment makes no sense whatsoever, though I'm sure you got a small high of self-righteousness from it. Jamaica, Queens and Jamaica the country as well as Africa have blacks in common. He was making a tongue-in-cheek generalization about blacks, which is probably half-true. Are you saying we're never allowed to say anything about blacks 'cause that's "ray-sis," or because they're America's chosen pet minority?

Get off your high horse.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebenschläfer View Post
Your comment makes no sense whatsoever, though I'm sure you got a small high of self-righteousness from it. Jamaica, Queens and Jamaica the country as well as Africa have blacks in common. He was making a tongue-in-cheek generalization about blacks, which is probably half-true. Are you saying we're never allowed to say anything about blacks 'cause that's "ray-sis," or because they're America's chosen pet minority?

Get off your high horse.
You decided to revive an thread that wasn't commented on since March just to vent? Where were you 8 months ago? Go back to your hibernation buddy.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Southside Queens is infamous , but its not as bad as people think. It definitely has its crime but its not an area where people haggle you and ruled by thugs. Some well to do people have lived in this neighborhood, its just the area had many big drug dealers so when you went on the strip it was an open market.

The area of South Jamaica borders Jamaica queens which is kind of the heart of Queens, so South Jamaica to an extent is centrally located that also brings a lot of traffic. To its South it borders the airport and has hotels/motels which has attracted hookers and thugs coming from Clubs and to the North around Archer you have Train stops around the area and a lot of Shopping Businesses,which can bring a whole host of rag tag characters.

Its definitely not the ideal Middle Class neighborhood but its not that horrible. The thing is Southside has Baisley Projects and South Jamaica Houses aka 40Ps which are projects , but if you are a few or five blocks away from these places you're alright. Places like Far Rockaway or Pov City aka Bricktown are a bit worse and even Hollis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I was just on Farmers Blvd (technically in Springfield Gardens) and a cop was speeding with his middle finger up damn there about to crash. There was like 5 cop cars and an ambulance, I'm assuming someone got shot but idk I just passed by. And for the millionth time this year I see a stupid helicopter circling around. Do they have a lot of these? Because I see them like once a week. It's barely afternoon.

I'm from South Jamaica, I know a lot about it (except west of Sutphin Blvd).

In South(side) Jamaica you have Guy R Brewer Blvd, Baisley Blvd, Baisley Projects, Rockaway Blvd, Rochdale, South Rd, Bricktown, 40 Projects, Westside Merrick, Sutphin "Sufftin" Blvd, 109th Ave, etc.

"North" Jamaica is totally different, Jamaica Ave is bummy though. Also don't confuse it with "Northside" because South Jamaica is "Southside", Northside is like the Hollis area.
I never heard of Northside until I came on the internet. But even in Greater Jamaica area has its bad parts. The subsidized housing off of Liberty ave in Pov City and some low key section 8 apartments in the area. The Woodhull Apartments In Hollis also had a rep and so did Henderson all were in Hollis but they simmered down. But different parts of Queens all had a rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
South Jamaica is tricky when it comes to the eastern boundary.

My boundaries are the following:

West: Van Wyck Expressway
South: Foch Boulevard/Roy Wilkins Park/VA Hospital
East: LIRR tracks
North: Liberty Avenue
South Jamaica is Technically
Van Wyck on its western border
Guy R Brewer on its eastern border
Archer Ave on its northern Border going all the way down to end of Queens between these 2 throughfares.

Anything east of Guy R Brewer is not the neighborhood Southside. Going up to Merick is or what they call West Side Merrick is Jamaica Queens. Of course some dudes around there like to claim Southside but it isn't.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Bricktown is not South Road. Bricktown is around Liberty Avenue and 174th Street. Scary area at night time. One way in and one way out because of the LIRR tracks.

Bricktown
Brick town is from 171st to 177. Its definitely not a one way in area, buts its definitely secluded. And I've been there at night and it was crazy 1 in the morning they were 25 deep standing outside on the strip .

Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Southside Queens is infamous , but its not as bad as people think. It definitely has its crime but its not an area where people haggle you and ruled by thugs. Some well to do people have lived in this neighborhood, its just the area had many big drug dealers so when you went on the strip it was an open market.

The area of South Jamaica borders Jamaica queens which is kind of the heart of Queens, so South Jamaica to an extent is centrally located that also brings a lot of traffic. To its South it borders the airport and has hotels/motels which has attracted hookers and thugs coming from Clubs and to the North around Archer you have Train stops around the area and a lot of Shopping Businesses,which can bring a whole host of rag tag characters.

Its definitely not the ideal Middle Class neighborhood but its not that horrible. The thing is Southside has Baisley Projects and South Jamaica Houses aka 40Ps which are projects , but if you are a few or five blocks away from these places you're alright. Places like Far Rockaway or Pov City aka Bricktown are a bit worse and even Hollis.

I never heard of Northside until I came on the internet. But even in Greater Jamaica area has its bad parts. The subsidized housing off of Liberty ave in Pov City and some low key section 8 apartments in the area. The Woodhull Apartments In Hollis also had a rep and so did Henderson all were in Hollis but they simmered down. But different parts of Queens all had a rep.

South Jamaica is Technically
Van Wyck on its western border
Guy R Brewer on its eastern border
Archer Ave on its northern Border going all the way down to end of Queens between these 2 throughfares.

Anything east of Guy R Brewer is not the neighborhood Southside. Going up to Merick is or what they call West Side Merrick is Jamaica Queens. Of course some dudes around there like to claim Southside but it isn't.
Bricktown is apart of south jamaica..Hollis is not worse than south jamaica never really was and Henderson is St. Albans..and if anything east of guy r brewer isnt south jamaica then that would mean suftin isn't south jamaica which is wrong ..

Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Bricktown is apart of south jamaica..Hollis is not worse than south jamaica never really was and Henderson is St. Albans..and if anything east of guy r brewer isnt south jamaica then that would mean suftin isn't south jamaica which is wrong ..
Bricktown is not South Jamaica at all,Bricktown is dead center in Jamaica Queens, its east of Merrick, no where near Southside or in the vicinity of the area.

Henderson is in St Albans but so is 111 ave ,112 ave and 113 ave from 196st to 205 , people in these blocks claim Hollis, even up and pass Murdock ave up to maybe 115 Ave. people would call themselves the Hollis area, these boundaries are from Hollis Ave to Murdock ave .Henderson is considered in the Hollis realm and many people there call themselves the Hollis name, Henderson subsidy houses is just about 2 or 3 blocks up from Woodhull ave matter of fact.

I never said Hollis is worse than Southside though, but I am not even going to agree with you either cause that's another story. Hollis was Southsides biggest rival in terms of so many things, so that gives you an idea.

I don't get your point Sutphin is west of Guy R Brewer not east of Guy R Brew. But the real borders are East of Guy R Brew and Van Wyck any one claiming southside beyond that is latching on.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-27-2014 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've driven through Jamaica on the Van Wyck Expwy to go to the airport and it looks nasty. Then, one time, I got off the expressway to look around and ended up driving around Jamaica Estates...very, very nice. How much does a 3/2 detached home in Jamaica Estates cost these days?
Jamaica for the most part is pretty nasty, mainly because of the age of the properties, but also because the residents do little to no property maintenance. Lots of garbage, tall grass and weeds with vermin, moldy siding, curling roof shingles, rotted structures etc...

It's kind of like section 8 throughout, except it's houses and not apartment buildings. A large majority of residents do not put much effort into maintaining or beautifying their property in Jamaica. Much different cultural values I guess.

The infrastructure is crumbling.

Jamaica Estates on the other hand is high end luxury neighborhood. Some of the properties there make Forest Hills look like Hempstead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City