Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times

Advertisements

You can find a one bedroom (not just a studio) for $1300 and up in plenty of Brooklyn, depending on where you want to live.
$1300 1 bedrooms can be found in Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst, Midwood, and Gravesend for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,126 times
Wow, I appreciate all of the advice and answers!! I will be working in either Crown Heights, Brownsville, or Bed-stuy (at a school). I don't necessary like the idea of a roommate, but I'm slowly coming to terms with and feel it might even be essential since I don't necessarily know anyone in the Brooklyn area. I currently make around 38-40K and take home about 1200 every two weeks (even with CT taxes), so it's difficult to imagine that my paycheck will only increase by about $300. I have a lot to think about, but I definitely appreciate all of you taking the time out to answer my questions. Feel free to continue to offer some advice!!!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Wow, I appreciate all of the advice and answers!! I will be working in either Crown Heights, Brownsville, or Bed-stuy (at a school). I don't necessary like the idea of a roommate, but I'm slowly coming to terms with and feel it might even be essential since I don't necessarily know anyone in the Brooklyn area. I currently make around 38-40K and take home about 1200 every two weeks (even with CT taxes), so it's difficult to imagine that my paycheck will only increase by about $300. I have a lot to think about, but I definitely appreciate all of you taking the time out to answer my questions. Feel free to continue to offer some advice!!!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breanna514 View Post
and bushwick! pretty much any places in that area

Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I had a bunch of friends who worked in schools and many of them lived alone. And I am not talking about that long ago. And as recent as 2013, I had a friend who had a studio in Park Slope (not RS) and she only made about 42K/year. She did spend about 50% of her income on rent but it's not like she was broke---she still went out and went on vacations. If you're not a "spender" it's really not that hard and if you really want to live alone, you just keep an eye on your money.

Point is, you can find a studio for less than $1500 pretty easily in the areas mentioned in the other thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...attan-you.html

I would just find an area that you could easily commute to based on the school that you will be working in---you do not want to live on one side of Brooklyn and have to commute to another corner---it will take forever.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 56,496 times
I did not like the idea of living with roommates before I moved to NYC in 2010. However, I have to accept it, It is better than paying half of your income for rent.

Living with roommates is not bad. I am living with 2 other guys and paying 700 $ rent. We respect each other's privacy and take share of cleaning course. Most of newyorkers are roommate-minded and easy to cope with. I am sure that you can find nice people to live with.

Also, you can consider renting an apartment and put ads on websites such as Craiglist and find suitable roommates for you.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 PM

47 posts, read 45,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breanna514 View Post
Sounds like you might be working for a charter. You NEED to find something close and stress free, since you will have long days (if not charter, still applies). I worked in a school in that area. Most of the teachers had other teachers as roommates, not necessarily from the same school. A lot of them lived in Crown Heights and other hoity-toity parts of BK.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM

304 posts, read 364,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I had a bunch of friends who worked in schools and many of them lived alone. And I am not talking about that long ago. And as recent as 2013, I had a friend who had a studio in Park Slope (not RS) and she only made about 42K/year. She did spend about 50% of her income on rent but it's not like she was broke---she still went out and went on vacations. If you're not a "spender" it's really not that hard and if you really want to live alone, you just keep an eye on your money.
I've had friends who have done this as well. Sure I like the fact that you're giving the OP some inspiration and courage to follow their dreams regardless of what it may be, but no, sorry, telling someone in their early 20s to spend 50% of their disposable income on rent is NOT good advice nor is it a good idea.

That's the age you should be building up an emergency savings, pining away for a reliable late model car, and getting on your feet.

Do you realize that if the OP does this they will have $1,200 a month left over after paying their rent? So $1,200 ÷ 4 = 300 dollars a week.

300 dollars a week to live off of, not a dollar more. That's it. How much will she spend on groceries? Atleast $50.00 a week. Her cell phone, utilities, and car insurance if she has a car could easily amount to another $50.00 a week going towards monthly bills.

So that's now $200.00 a week. Are you going to have absolutely no savings?? Let's say she puts away $50.00 a week. Now we're down to $150.00 a week she has of free money. Will she not go out to eat? Buy clothes? Books? Gym membership?

$150.00 a week? Are you kidding me? Having to choose between buying an outfit or being able to have a night out of dinner, drinks and dancing with friends will be dismal and it will get old...quick.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonykh View Post
I did not like the idea of living with roommates before I moved to NYC in 2010. However, I have to accept it, It is better than paying half of your income for rent.

Living with roommates is not bad. I am living with 2 other guys and paying 700 $ rent. We respect each other's privacy and take share of cleaning course. Most of newyorkers are roommate-minded and easy to cope with. I am sure that you can find nice people to live with.

Also, you can consider renting an apartment and put ads on websites such as Craiglist and find suitable roommates for you.
It depends, I spend 27-29% of my income on rent and live alone saving around 2.75-3k/mo after all expenses. I think Manhattan is also 50% residences with only one person whereas the rest of the country is closer to 25%.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
I've had friends who have done this as well. Sure I like the fact that you're giving the OP some inspiration and courage to follow their dreams regardless of what it may be, but no, sorry, telling someone in their early 20s to spend 50% of their disposable income on rent is NOT good advice nor is it a good idea.

That's the age you should be building up an emergency savings, pining away for a reliable late model car, and getting on your feet.

Do you realize that if the OP does this they will have $1,200 a month left over after paying their rent? So $1,200 ÷ 4 = 300 dollars a week.

300 dollars a week to live off of, not a dollar more. That's it. How much will she spend on groceries? Atleast $50.00 a week. Her cell phone, utilities, and car insurance if she has a car could easily amount to another $50.00 a week going towards monthly bills.

So that's now $200.00 a week. Are you going to have absolutely no savings?? Let's say she puts away $50.00 a week. Now we're down to $150.00 a week she has of free money. Will she not go out to eat? Buy clothes? Books? Gym membership?

$150.00 a week? Are you kidding me? Having to choose between buying an outfit or being able to have a night out of dinner, drinks and dancing with friends will be dismal and it will get old...quick.
Look, I worked in a school making less than she did and I also worked with other people. Trust me, no one was crying poor.

If she's getting paid 50-55K, she is probably getting more a little more than $1200 every two weeks. Not a lot more but everything matters. Maybe she is only going to do it for a year or so.

A few years ago, I didn't have a job. My husband and I lived off of his paycheck. We paid all of our bills. We kept our car, an expense she won't have, he kept his gym membership, etc. And his paycheck was less than what hers will be---supporting two people. (BTW-No, she should not have a car so don't even include that as an expense.)

My point for the OP was that I think it would be okay if it was temporary. Obviously I do not think spending 50% of her income on rent is a great idea but if she needs a year to get situated and all sorted out so be it. Unless you have a job that pays very well, that's what happens to many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: