Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM

29 posts, read 17,932 times

Advertisements

well by no means is it an extremely rare sighting- (not like a total eclipse or anything) but again I'm just stating what is otherwise obvious- 4-5 hours of walking I did up and down manhattan on 3 weekends (unless they come out on designated days) and of those handful, its safe to assume, a good part were out-of-towners.

On another interracial note- I saw very few by way of inter-racial friends/mates (again blk/wht).

YES I'm sure you all know one black guy or white guy that is an acquaintance. But on the streets/shops/cafe's is where you'll get a good cross-section of any given city.

Last edited by 1on1; 05-24-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Sorry, but if you move to NYC and your girlfriend is very beautiful, chances are, she may very well find someone else, of means. On another note, I really hope that you are not taking advantage of your uncle. --Just because he offers you and your gf free room and board, doesn't mean that you have to accept it. As a man, you should ALWAYS pay your own way.
My aunt left me an inheritance when she passed. Of course I accepted it and used it for the purposes I wanted to.

Help from relatives, whether in the form of money, free housing, makes substantial difference in the lives of the person receiving help. Maybe his uncle will leave the house to him one day.

All you can do is hate out of jealously.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
OP I honestly think some posters here are just jealous and are trying to spite you because of it
Of course. He has an uncle in NYC who is able to host him for FREE, while these idiots can barely pay their rent.

Though I do think the OP overplayed his girlfriend. She's that beautiful to HIM because he loves her. Other people may not give her a second look.

Either way this is a great opportunity for him and his girlfriend, and I doubt she will have super model status in a few months, so a free place in Jamaica, NY is good for her. Unlike the idiots who move here, spend lots of money on a fashionable new place and then go broke and have to leave.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
LOL, that's a rare siting. They could've been staying at one of the hotels along the Conduit. I have to say development is really picking up steam in the Downtown area. There are developments in various stages going up all along Archer ave from 165th st all the way down to the hub. Also, demolition work is being done on 94ave for a 26 story residential tower. That whole area is going to look way different 5 years from now.

But, Jamaica still has a way to go. https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpre...ually-ignored/
You want to move into an area that has a long way to go. If you move into a neighborhood that is already there, then you have to be RICH to AFFORD to live there.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There are alot of approved hotels that will be built in the coming years, If funding does not fall through. Also that blog was 3 years ago. Many of the places highlighted has since been cleaned and maintained. Maybe because they were publicly shamed.

But you can see an improvement.
There's a lot of construction right now. The same people bashing Jamaica now would have bashed LIC 4 years ago, and now LIC is an area they can't even afford.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:08 PM

NYC has more homeless than any other American city. Many of them are in trains, and NYC does house more people in shelters than either LA or SF. But there's still a massive homeless problem here. It can be awful riding the train during bad weather because of all the homeless.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
well by no means is it an extremely rare sighting- (not like a total eclipse or anything) but again I'm just stating what is otherwise obvious- 4-5 hours of walking I did up and down manhattan on 3 weekends (unless they come out on designated days) and of those handful, its safe to assume, a good part were out-of-towners.

On another interracial note- I saw very few by way of inter-racial friends/mates (again blk/wht).

YES I'm sure you all know one black guy or white guy that is an acquaintance. But on the streets/shops/cafe's is where you'll get a good cross-section of any given city.
Well yeah, the majority of friend groups you'll see are monoethnic. However, I still think multethnic friend groups are pretty common, I see them pretty often. Although you see it in some places/settings more than others.

Any other observations you had on race in New York compared to where you're from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course. He has an uncle in NYC who is able to host him for FREE, while these idiots can barely pay their rent.

Though I do think the OP overplayed his girlfriend. She's that beautiful to HIM because he loves her. Other people may not give her a second look.

Either way this is a great opportunity for him and his girlfriend, and I doubt she will have super model status in a few months, so a free place in Jamaica, NY is good for her. Unlike the idiots who move here, spend lots of money on a fashionable new place and then go broke and have to leave.
Yeah, most people would love a living situation like that where they don't have to pay but still have privacy.

There are so many beautiful women in NYC that one beautiful women doesn't really stand out that much, although I think if she's an attractive white chick in all black neighborhood she might stand out, but she still won't be bothered for the most part.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
In any event many people are more interested in dating someone who shares their same values, are on their level economically and socially and they can relate to culturally. The color of their skin is usually lower on their list or preferences.

The notion that black men salivate over white women is not a universal truth. In fact some men not only prefer to date black women they prefer a darker complexioned woman.

Anyways. Have a plan and good luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,500 times
Quote:

I honestly don't think people were hating on him, he just came off as being naive and misinformed. I'm glad he's quickly getting acquainted with NYC.

He did make an apt observation though -- minorities (esp blacks) sadly dominate the service/retail industry and jobs requiring low to no skills here. Unfortunately, minorities (esp blacks again) are underrepresented in professional jobs. I regularly have to interact with top management of some of the City's biggest companies and agencies and do find it depressing that so few minorities are in these top positions. I have also seen this same trend at our state society's (CPA) meetings.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
My aunt left me an inheritance when she passed. Of course I accepted it and used it for the purposes I wanted to.

Help from relatives, whether in the form of money, free housing, makes substantial difference in the lives of the person receiving help. Maybe his uncle will leave the house to him one day.

All you can do is hate out of jealously.
Now I get it why you're in academia. lol
Inheritances are fine (my brother and I will probably inherit something substantial from our parents, although I tell my parents to just use it up all for themselves) but you're a loser to claim that others just hate.

If you received an inheritance, be grateful and shut up about it. That would be the normal thing to do.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 05-24-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City