Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/02...ents.html?_r=0

This is national, but the recovering economy effects all the states, including New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 04:17 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Terrible idea.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
"People under 18 or over 49, pregnant women and people who are medically certified as “unfit for employment,” because of a disability, are generally exempt from the time limits." I think that anyone over 50 should be exempt from the work requirements as there is hidden discrimination against hiring older workers.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:42 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Terrible idea.
Why?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
This is how you counter that argument about illegal immigrants "doing jobs that Americans won't do". You have plenty of freeloaders that are able to work collecting Gov funds. They can wash dishes, pick crops etc. Simple solution folks, no excuses.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM

130 posts, read 532,728 times
Snap benefits are so offensively crappy, what possible job could pay so low an hour? Crop picking in NYC. Hmm. I think mostly what this will do is get that nice iPhone swiped out of your hands or maybe your car stolen if you are lucky.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:23 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Snap benefits are so offensively crappy, what possible job could pay so low an hour? Crop picking in NYC. Hmm. I think mostly what this will do is get that nice iPhone swiped out of your hands or maybe your car stolen if you are lucky.
I was speaking in general, not just for NYC. And for the comment about swiping my phone blah blah. Lol, no that would be someone like you and other limp wristed lefties. I'm the type of guy you probably want to shoot from across the street and run away. People don't look at me and think easy target, more like "uhhhhh, yeaaaaa no, not that guy".

Anyway, people who are not disabled and can somehow afford the $200 sneakers and big flat screen on the wall. All while sitting around doing nothing all day, collecting welfare, snap, whatever. Plenty of these ghetto superstars can go wash some damn dishes or sweep out a vacant lot, and yes even pick crops if that's where they live, plenty of white trash in farm country right?

There is no free ride, unless absolute necessary. Period.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM

130 posts, read 532,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
I was speaking in general, not just for NYC. And for the comment about swiping my phone blah blah. Lol, no that would be someone like you and other limp wristed lefties. I'm the type of guy you probably want to shoot from across the street and run away. People don't look at me and think easy target, more like "uhhhhh, yeaaaaa no, not that guy".

Anyway, people who are not disabled and can somehow afford the $200 sneakers and big flat screen on the wall. All while sitting around doing nothing all day, collecting welfare, snap, whatever. Plenty of these ghetto superstars can go wash some damn dishes or sweep out a vacant lot, and yes even pick crops if that's where they live, plenty of white trash in farm country right?

There is no free ride, unless absolute necessary. Period.

Yeah I was talking in general about crime increasing, not your iPhone specifically.
And this is the NYC forum. We're all tough guys here.

Some people scam just like with anything but most don't. Most people try their best.
Some people may actually have it way harder than you have ever had it and need the help. What little help it is.

How about worrying about real money and problems like how "our" money is spent on super wasteful wars like Iraq where many innocents are killed - destabilizing a whole region and creating more enemies and lethal threats. How your/our money is used to kill instead of feed. Money spent that could one day lead to real problems in the city. Leading possibly to a day when the last thing that will concern you is how sally gets her hardly "free" measly snap benefits to buy her cheap generic soda.

Last edited by campers; 04-02-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 04:59 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Sweet!

As the real Lebowski said in his eponymous movie:

"The war is over sir, THE BUMS LOST! Get a job."

Old 04-02-2016, 07:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
Yeah I was talking in general about crime increasing, not your iPhone specifically.
And this is the NYC forum. We're all tough guys here.

Some people scam just like with anything but most don't. Most people try their best.
Some people may actually have it way harder than you have ever had it and need the help. What little help it is.

How about worrying about real money and problems like how "our" money is spent on super wasteful wars like Iraq where many innocents are killed - destabilizing a whole region and creating more enemies and lethal threats. How your/our money is used to kill instead of feed. Money spent that could one day lead to real problems in the city. Leading possibly to a day when the last thing that will concern you is how sally gets her hardly "free" measly snap benefits to buy her cheap generic soda.

What might have made you think that this person had things easy ? I mean ... given the obvious deficits in education and experience; the absolute one-dimensionality. Each post providing more evidence.

Agree, of course, with your second paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: