Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 8,212 times

Advertisements

My tenant's lease is up in a few weeks (end of May). He lost his job and indicated that he doesn't have the money to pay for the last month rent (due May 1). I still have a month of security deposit so I guess the worst case scenario is that I would have to cover any damages. That said, my concern is what happens if he doesn't move out? It is a doormen condo in Manhattan. Can I simply inform the doormen/management company that his lease is up and he is not allowed in the building after his lease ends? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
It sounds like he is planning to leave and wants you to use the security for the last month due on the lease. Why else would he tell you he can't pay the last month? If he doesn't leave, you will need to legally evict, you can't just deny him access to the apartment.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
It sounds like he is planning to leave and wants you to use the security for the last month due on the lease. Why else would he tell you he can't pay the last month? If he doesn't leave, you will need to legally evict, you can't just deny him access to the apartment.
So do nothing if he doesn't pay the May rent? The lease do say I have the right to use the security deposit if I want to. Then take him to small claims court for any damages? Any pointers as to how to legally evict him if he doesn't leave after his lease ends?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Ask him what date he is planning to vacate. Tell him to be sure to remove everything by May 31.
(His response should tell you his intentions pretty clearly.)

Are you planning to take possession and move in or are you going to re-rent to another?

If you get a written record, via e-mail correspondence, all the better for you.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ask him what date he is planning to vacate. Tell him to be sure to remove everything by May 31.
(His response should tell you his intentions pretty clearly.)

Are you planning to take possession and move in or are you going to re-rent to another?

If you get a written record, via e-mail correspondence, all the better for you.
excellent idea! thanks much.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealroland View Post
Can I simply inform the doormen/management company that his lease is up and he is not allowed in the building after his lease ends?
What you're describing above is an illegal eviction, key word being illegal. Please do some reading online about what an eviction entails. You shouldn't count on an anonymous forum for your legal advice. Illegal Evictions / Illegal Lockouts | Metropolitan Council on Housing

Old 04-09-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What you're describing above is an illegal eviction, key word being illegal. Please do some reading online about what an eviction entails. You shouldn't count on an anonymous forum for your legal advice. Illegal Evictions / Illegal Lockouts | Metropolitan Council on Housing
This is very helpful. I have never experienced this before so I am just trying to get as much info as possible. Hopefully this will not lead to any legal actions. Thanks much.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I certainly hope you're not implying that you'd tell the management and not talk directly to your tenant.

I don't know what "indicated" means. Why didn't you call or write to say that you're very sorry to hear his news, and ask if perhaps he might consider moving out earlier? That way you'd get a clear indication as to whether eviction will be necessary.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I certainly hope you're not implying that you'd tell the management and not talk directly to your tenant.

I don't know what "indicated" means. Why didn't you call or write to say that you're very sorry to hear his news, and ask if perhaps he might consider moving out earlier? That way you'd get a clear indication as to whether eviction will be necessary.
No of course not. I offered him prorated rent if he would leave early but he refused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: