Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM

95 posts, read 155,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But the people living in my coop ARE the corporation.
The people living in the coop are the shareholders. They do not own any property either. The shares in the corporation gives them a proprietary lease to live in the unit. It is just another form of paying rent with some morons on a board calling the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:51 AM

106,834 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
I have a coop that I will rent out regardless of what is said in the offering plan. These units can be very difficult to sell and maintenance constantly goes up, some people don't pay and all sorts of issues. I don't know how anyone can prove that I don't live there anymore. You have to be extremely careful when buying into a coop. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
we sold every co-op unit with no difficulty at all . 9 in total so far in different areas and buildings .

we are likely buying another one next year in bay terrace

Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM

115 posts, read 104,479 times
Quote:
I have a coop that I will rent out regardless of what is said in the offering plan. These units can be very difficult to sell and maintenance constantly goes up, some people don't pay and all sorts of issues. I don't know how anyone can prove that I don't live there anymore. You have to be extremely careful when buying into a coop. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
A co-op has far more power to deal with a non-paying shareholder than a condo has with an owner. A co-op can evict a shareholder and force the sale of the apartment. They also have a first lien on the sale proceeds to pay back any balance due to the co-op, so I'm not sure what "issues" you refer to. In a condo, good luck taking any action on a condo owner and good luck getting condo fees paid back when they actually do sell.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The people living in the coop are the shareholders. They do not own any property either. The shares in the corporation gives them a proprietary lease to live in the unit. It is just another form of paying rent with some morons on a board calling the shots.
Guess who votes in the board? the shareholders at an annual meeting. If you don't like the way the building is going, change the board.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharlem1 View Post
A co-op has far more power to deal with a non-paying shareholder than a condo has with an owner. A co-op can evict a shareholder and force the sale of the apartment. They also have a first lien on the sale proceeds to pay back any balance due to the co-op, so I'm not sure what "issues" you refer to. In a condo, good luck taking any action on a condo owner and good luck getting condo fees paid back when they actually do sell.
In the Co-op I live some people have not paid in 2 years and their balance is over 20K. Instead they keep raising the maintenance.

Condo fees are much lower than Co-op fees. I pay over $900 a month for 2 bed 2 bath 900 sq ft apartment. Often times when you buy into the Co-op you are also buying into the building debt.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharlem1 View Post
Guess who votes in the board? the shareholders at an annual meeting. If you don't like the way the building is going, change the board.
If only shareholders would show up to vote or run for the board. All they do is complain. We have had the same morons as president and vice-president from the beginning going on for 10 years.

I recently purchased a home. I prefer to be the master of my domain and not have to deal with the politics.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
In the Co-op I live some people have not paid in 2 years and their balance is over 20K. Instead they keep raising the maintenance.

Condo fees are much lower than Co-op fees. I pay over $900 a month for 2 bed 2 bath 900 sq ft apartment. Often times when you buy into the Co-op you are also buying into the building debt.
Then you need to ask your Board why no action has been taken. It's your right as a shareholder. If you don't want exercise that right, it's your problem.

Condo fees don't include taxes, while maintenance fees do - so while it the fees are lower, they are not all that different.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If only shareholders would show up to vote or run for the board. All they do is complain. We have had the same morons as president and vice-president from the beginning going on for 10 years.

I recently purchased a home. I prefer to be the master of my domain and not have to deal with the politics.
Which one is it? Do you live in a co-op - you wrote "In the Co-op I live some people have not paid in 2 years and their balance is over 20K" or not (according to what you wrote above)?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:34 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:

That's like NYC politics. Hardly anyone votes, but everyone complains.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:37 PM

106,834 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:

most co-ops have a building mortgage . all of ours do and the maintenance covers the building side of your mortgage . if it was a condo your personal mortgage would be that much more .

over all our maintenance increases have not been bad at all . in our kew gardens building the maintenance was 475 when we bought in 1987 . today it is 675.00 . the city apartments are higher but still not to bad . low financing has really kept costs down .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City