Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think this is a good idea, or a recipe for disaster to have neighborhoods become racially integrated? We all know that NYC is one of the most segregated cities in America. People out right segregate for economic, ethnic and even on religious lines. Well mayor De Blasio wants to change all that with his affordable housing push. Even though I hate the two face, yellow journalist. I find that the article is spot on with the realities of segregation in NYC. What do you guys think about the article?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/15...ww.google.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
I'm all for diversity, but you can't really cram it down people's throats. Just make it a level playing field and take out the discrimination and let the housing market do whatever it's going to do. Some black people don't want to live in white neighborhoods, some white people don't want to live in asian neighborhoods, etc... Whatever it's a free country, people should be able to buy or rent wherever they want

Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM

139 posts, read 155,731 times
If you go to many forums on city-data, you'll find thread after thread of people moving to a new city and asking, where do Muslims live, where do British ex-pats live, where are the Chinese markets, etc .... Many people have a natural desire to live within familiarity, there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:16 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Integration (and deBlasio) is racist.

"If I have a cup of coffee that is too strong for me because it is too black, I weaken it by pouring cream into it. I integrate it with cream. If I keep pouring enough cream in the coffee, pretty soon the entire flavor of the coffee is changed; the very nature of the coffee is changed. If enough cream is poured in, eventually you don't even know that I had coffee in this cup."

Old 04-15-2016, 11:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

"If I have a cup of coffee that is too strong for me because it is too black, I weaken it by pouring cream into it. I integrate it with cream. If I keep pouring enough cream in the coffee, pretty soon the entire flavor of the coffee is changed; the very nature of the coffee is changed. If enough cream is poured in, eventually you don't even know that I had coffee in this cup."
The federal government integrated both armed forces and universities and there is no problem with either. Over 20 percent of Hispanics and Adians marry outside of their designated groups, so clearly they are not obsess with being with people of the same category. 17 percent of Blacks marry non Blacks. The same can be said about them. NYC neighborhoods are segregated by income and race is immigrants disproportionately cannot afford to live in well of white neighborhoods. Ditto African Americans.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:

Nice, misinterpretation and wrong application of Malcolm X......!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 AM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
DeBlowsio trying to backtrack on his inherent racism now.

Typical liberal double standard.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The federal government integrated both armed forces and universities and there is no problem with either. Over 20 percent of Hispanics and Adians marry outside of their designated groups, so clearly they are not obsess with being with people of the same category. 17 percent of Blacks marry non Blacks. The same can be said about them. NYC neighborhoods are segregated by income and race is immigrants disproportionately cannot afford to live in well of white neighborhoods. Ditto African Americans.
That wasn't integration, it was the removal of nonsense that restricted those from having freedom. Forcibly integrating neighborhoods is completely different. Its government taking away your freedoms again. I find nothing wrong with diversity. One of the reasons I live where I live is because of its diversity. But government has no right forcing it in any way whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Nice, misinterpretation and wrong application of Malcolm X......!
Pease explain other than with a ....

Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
Quote:

Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City