Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 42,923 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm planning to view co-op apartment for sale in Parkway Village. my concern is that i've only found articles from a few years ago... and none of them are good (asbestos, poor hvac system, pests, etc.). does anyone have any knowledge/opinions on the current status of the grounds and living spaces? it is quite a hike from the train (definitely a con on my list) and i'm just wondering if it is worth the time to see this property. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 19,011 times
The issues appear to continue to be the same. Just visit the place and ask around the neighbors. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,625 times
Hi,
Im supposed to be looking at a few apartments in parkway this sunday. The pictures of the apartments looked beautiful and I was very excited to go see them. However after reading some of these posts Im a little nervous. Did the board ever do the asbestos removal? Did they ever get a new heating system? We are desperatly trying to find 3 bedroom affordable apartment but I have 2 small children and am now slightly nervous to be moving them in there (potentially). Any comments?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,769 times
I came across this post as I was googling Parkway Village. We are currently considering buying a unit there, and I would very much appreciate to know from you if the heating problem was solved or not. Since these posts go back to 2008, 2009, has anything changed??is the heating system and Asbestos leaking still a problem or the new heating system have been installed already??
Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 13,260 times
Default Hidden Gem

I have lived there for five years now, so i can give you an honest to god opinion.

It did have some problems, asbestos, heating issues. However, living there has been the best decision i have ever made. The place is an absolute gem! we have security 24/7 in the area, they are constantly checking everything, laundry rooms, basements, illegal parking from neighboring co-ops etc.
Children as safer here than anywhere in Queens! If you walk around, you'll find that there are four of five (i can't remember which exactly) hidden childrens play parks (slides, swings etc) behind houses for them to play safely.
The neighbors have a real sense of community, watching out for each other, collecting parcels, community bbq's.
Most of the apartments have their own private gardens, and those that don't will have a front garden, usually with their own patio for hosting parties and each set of houses has a communal garden out the back in their own courtyars that are maintained by grounds staff.
For the elderly that live in the area, there is a 'helping hands' committee that will go pick up subscriptions, go to the store, whatever they need. this is all voluntary of the residents.
the heating issues have been cleared up, everyone has their own private thermostat in their apartment.

The maintenance may seem high compared to other co-ops in the area, but they don't have half the ammenities we have, security, private parking, play areas, large patchs of green areas to play ball.
pets are also welcome, anyone can have a dog and there are no extra fees for it, no complaining neighbors. it really is an ideal place to live.

when i was first moving there, i was so hesitant about it, afraid that i was getting into a world of trouble and since i moved in, i've never looked back!

Last edited by Annabellrose; 01-25-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 AM

172 posts, read 718,698 times
I know this a old post but I feel that Annabellrose missed a few things.
1- parking fees ( was $5 a month then $10 and jumped to $60. Could be more now.)
2- charges if you want a washer in the house
3-first come first serve parking. If I'm going to pay for parking I should be guaranteed a spot.
4-assessment fees every year because they can't balance books.
They even even fired ppl on the board that tries to bring up issues that should be taken care of ASAP. I remember it took them 3 month to fix the handrail. I had to tell them I cut my hand on the rusty handrail before they changed it out. Back in 2005 it was a nice place with low maintenance and no BS fees. I'm wondering how ppl are paying $900 to $1200 maintenance fee to live there.

Ooh yea... Security SUCKS!!! Told them there was a suspicious person walking around looking into cars and they told me to hold him until they get there! LOL have fun watching ppl shoot up and hookers in cars along the grand central pkwy.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 AM

172 posts, read 718,698 times
Parkway Village Co in Jamaica, NY - Reviews and Directions

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM

112 posts, read 352,449 times
I looked all around parkway village and did a lot of research. The maintenance is sky high, way too much for what you're getting. Think about how much money it will cost you each month, for 10-15 years and you could own a condo or house instead! Also, the place is so run down. It was depressing to see garbage dumps all around, as well as desperately needed touch- ups and renovation to the neglected looking doors and outer facades. And visit a board/shareholders meeting, there is too much infighting and strife amongst the residents.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,427 times
Does anyone know about the current situation of this coop. I am planning on visiting two units. Is it still that terrible? the maintenance is at $1437. which is high compared to other places.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:01 PM

35 posts, read 37,705 times
I can't speak for the actual complex itself, but I know the area quite well. I went to St. Johns. My family went to Molloy. Listen, stay away. Especially if you're not part of the "diverse" background. Read between the lines here.

Do your homework and check out the compstat figures from NYPD for your precint. It's not a bad area, relatively speaking, but there's plenty of action on Union turnpike these days, including gun play. There's also a former SJU college party bar nearby that is now basically the inside of a crime infested housing project. It's called Cheapshots. Drive by around 11p one evening and watch the clientele. There's a reason the community has been trying to shut the place down the last few years. Run while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City