Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Where is the delivery service leaving your packages? Outside?

In my building (80 units) the USPS has started leaving packages in the main lobby by the front door, where anyone walking by can steal them. The carrier can't even be bothered leaving them outside of apartment doors. It's so annoying.
They can be stolen outside of apartment doors just as easily as in the lobby so I don't understand the issue of placement if neither place is secured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,985 times
I think you can request to pick up your packages at the Ups/Usps office. All you need to do is make a report that someone is stealing
your packages. They will hold your package for you to pick up mail theft is a crime.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They can be stolen outside of apartment doors just as easily as in the lobby so I don't understand the issue of placement if neither place is secured.
That may be true but there is more traffic passing through the lobby. Everyone has to pass through the lobby to enter a building. Not everyone will have to pass by someone's apartment door once inside the building.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

In my building (80 units) the USPS has started leaving packages in the main lobby by the front door, where anyone walking by can steal them. The carrier can't even be bothered leaving them outside of apartment doors. It's so annoying.

UPS, USPS, FedEx Ground, Amazon.... They all now leave packages in lobbies and or even outside such as vestibules, lobbies or even on steps/front door if no one is home and or will sign for a package. USPS has keys to buildings obviously but FedEx Ground and UPS will ring any or all intercom bells until someone lets them in, then they will leave packages....

Over the years apparently all have decided due to volume or whatever reasons taking packages back and leaving a "not at home notice" is no longer done. Only time this seems to happen is if package is sent "adult signature required", Certified or Registered Mail, Restricted Signature, and or insured for a very high value amount. In those instances carriers/drivers are required take the parcel back and leave notice if no one is at home.

Amazon who uses their own delivery service is the worst IMHO. They leave packages literally outside doors where anyone walking by can see and take.

FedEx Ground isn't much better and worse because it is a route service (you can purchase one or more routes in an area thus "own" that territory), when things are stolen, missing or whatever it can take ages to sort out. It also means the delivery persons aren't often much better than what you see from Fresh Direct.

Thing is UPS, FedEx, et al all *KNOW* very well about package theft. It has grown and become rampant as more and more Americans shop online. You have people driving behind delivery trucks watching where packages are left and go right after them when the delivery person clears the premises. Amazon in particular has a rather large loss and or stolen claim ratio. However since such losses can be written off guess it evens things out.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
OP, if this is an Amazon delivery, why don't you see about having your stuff delivered to their lockers?

If my packages ever get stolen, I'll just start picking them up elsewhere. Like a locker or the post office.

It varies a lot at my building---sometimes they leave them in between the two front doors, sometimes they leave them inside the main/locked door on the table and sometimes they are in front of your apartment door when you come home.

My building makes it pretty clear that you are on surveillance when you walk in the door.

Last year, some woman stole packages from the building across the street from us and they put her on blast everywhere---her picture was up in all the buildings nearby, the business on the main avenue, etc. for months.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:48 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
We live in a row/townhouse. For as long as I can remember, deliveries were never just left outside . . . I've only seen that done in the standalone houses.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
It's one of the joys of a co-op doorman to receive deliveries.

Although we had a couple credit cards stolen from our mailbox...and used copiously ($1700)

Old 04-30-2016, 12:49 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Or you can open a PO box and have it delivered there. Works for me.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:54 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:

Yeah, that pretty much happens at my mom's apt. bldg. Before, they would at least make the trek to place the package outside the individual's apt. door (what they should do, unless directed otherwise, is get buzzed in to obtain a signature) but now they just leave it by the main lobby area or in front of the main elevators where anyone can just pick it up. So far, the people at her place are pretty honest but whenever I see packages just lying around it makes me uncomfortable. I had packages missing, notified the carrier and either miraculously my package showed up days later or I had to call the store to request credit due to a lost/stolen package but now I just have packages delivered to a UPS location where I can pick it up. But that only works if the place where I'm ordering from use UPS as their carrier.

I've resorted to not ordering much on line anymore. It's not worth the hassle. Before, it was just a time matter. Now one has to wonder about theft. It's not worth it.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-01-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:06 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
Im guessing you live in a house. Usually ups/fedex takes the packages back or usps leaves a slip. I usually have packages left with my super so I don't have the headache but never had them leave a package infront my door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City