Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM

37 posts, read 231,958 times

Advertisements

hello, I am just wondering if it's legal to convert studio into two bedrooms for apartments in Manhattan? If so, do you know any good company that do so? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Ummmmm....even if it was somehow legitimate to do that...dear God why? The average studio is small enough. How tiny would these rooms be? They'd probably make a prison cell look spacious.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
First, you probably have to own the apartment, which means it must be a condo. If you don't own it, you will need permission of the landlord/co-op board. Then, regardless of who owns it, there is all sorts of business about getting permits, because you can't do any construction in NYC without a permit. You'll probably need to do some electrical work, so that both rooms have enough outlets, etc.

And if my experience as a tenant at the mercy of contractors is any indication, the work will probably take about 3 1/2 years. Seven days out of ten, contractors have emergencies on other jobs.

This is a major headache for many reasons. I'd just as soon sleep on the floor.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
There's something called a pressurized wall that I think is used alot in nyc apts Manhattan Pressurized Walls - Temporary Partition Walls

But why not just get a one bedroom and have one person stay in the bedroom and one in the living room? I just don't think that in most lower-priced neighbhoords that the difference between the rent on a studio and a one bedroom is that substantial. i.e. in some Queens neighborhoods a studio might cost $1100 and a one-bedroom $1300-$1400

Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
hello, I am just wondering if it's legal to convert studio into two bedrooms for apartments in Manhattan? If so, do you know any good company that do so? Thanks
its not legal....to do so without filing at the department of buildings would be illegal work done without a permit. you would be changing the certificate of occupancy for the building by increasing the habitable room count of the building.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,969 times
Default Pressurized -Temporary Walls

Hello:

I had one of these walls built last month. They are great and look like a real wall but are not screwed into the floor or ceilings so there is no damage to the apartment when the wall is taken down. Here is a site that list the top companies in NYC.

[url=http://www.pressurizedwallcompanies.com]Pressurized - Temporary Wall Companies in New York[/url]

All you have to do is get approval from your building to have a wall built. The good thing is that if you get a roommate and then they move out you can just have the wall taken down. Most of the companies listed will do this for free. The walls cost about $1,000 . My rent was $2,300 for my one bedroom. Now with the new wall I only pay $1,200 and my roommate pays $1,100 so I made the money back in just 1-month.

In response to the other posting regarding the certificate of occupancy. Since the pressurized walls are temporary they do not require a change in the certificate of occupancy. I live in a building that requires your blood just to get the toilet fixed so they would have never allowed me to have a wall built if there was a problem.

Sincerely,

Donna

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
its not legal....to do so without filing at the department of buildings would be illegal work done without a permit. you would be changing the certificate of occupancy for the building by increasing the habitable room count of the building.
People put up walls all the time. It doesn't change the C of O. But it is nearly impossible with a studio. With a large one bedroom you can often wall of part of the living room into another bedroom.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
People put up walls all the time. It doesn't change the C of O. But it is nearly impossible with a studio. With a large one bedroom you can often wall of part of the living room into another bedroom.
people put walls up all the time but that doesnt mean its legally right to do....i explained why previously.

aside from the certificate of occupancy issues, LL's often take tenants to court for putting put illegal partitions in their apartment because usually people to that to create an additional room to rent it out.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 AM

160 posts, read 164,445 times
I took a wall down in a apt in NYC and ohhhhhhhhhhhh was it a mess and I did not ask for permission...lucky the guy who owned the apt was very cool and liked it down.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 9,771 times

This is not TRUE! I just had one done for my apt. It is a temporary partition nothing is affixiated to my walls floors or ceiling, no damage will be done to the apt. Therefore no permit has to be pulled from the DOB its just like buying a piece of furniture. The landlord stated this information to myself personally.

I just wanted to say manhattanpressurizedwall.com did a fantastic job in my
Apt. and I am very happy with the work performed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City