Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:59 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
For the past couple of years since I graduated college I always say that I want to leave this city. I migrated here so I do not have that heavy connection someone else who grew up here might have. It's still a somewhat scary idea to leave because even though I migrated from the Caribbean to New York I still have friends and distant relatives in this area. I just think that NYC is too stressful and expensive and I know this is not all that's out there, there is so much more to life.

I hate talking to New Yorkers about the idea of moving because they only talk down on other cities and states. They act like New York is the epicenter of the world and most other places are worthless. Even Some Caribbean people buy into the attitude of New York being great and everywhere else being garbage. The thing is most of the people who I know left NYC and went to other states are doing much better than those who remain here.
That's nice to here. In what way are they doing better once they leave NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:50 AM

436 posts, read 565,615 times
Even Some Caribbean people buy into the attitude of New York being great and everywhere else being garbage.

That's funny considering many Caribbean people that I've known and come across don't go to too many places in the city and typically live in some of the most neglected or mediocre neighborhoods. In fact, some of those same people are often buying some house in some random place in Florida and have plans to either go there or back to their home country after working long enough in New York.

Personally, I hope to be starting up my career in another city 3 years from now. I may have been born here and grew up here but I find that more and more there are many elements of the city that I don't like (insane work culture, corruption, social isolation to name a few); and it wouldn't hurt to live in a place where people behave in a more approachable manner either.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's nice to here. In what way are they doing better once they leave NYC?
It's usually financial and QoL related -- lower costs, lower tax burden, more space, less crowds/filth, larger/nicer living spaces, etc.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,360,636 times
It's all about money.

If you make enough in NYC to live a "comfortable" life, there's no reason to leave and many don't. People may reshuffle amongst the boroughs or even Yonker's/Westchester but they don't leave the Metro area.

The cost of living is not high. The Cost of housing and car insurance is particularly high in NYC but almost everything else (food, entertainment, clothing, electronics) can be found for cheaper than even the poorest states in the South. Either way, retailers like Amazon, Costco, Target, etc. have equalized the cost of consumer goods across the country.

Minimum "comfortable" (not paycheck to paycheck but not 10K vacations every year either) for NYC:

Single- $65K
Couple - $90K
Couple with 2 kids- $120K

Last edited by wawaweewa; 06-12-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 07:57 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
People in the hinterlands want to live in NYC. People in NYC want to live in the hinterlands. lol.

Like the old sayings, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, people always want what they don't have, and when they have it, they don't want it.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM

27 posts, read 22,420 times
I left NY for Pittsburgh almost two years ago because I could no longer afford it. I now live in a new three bedroom house for which I paid just under $300,000. I love my backyard, the fact that I live in a pretty walkable neighborhood (I drive no more than 2-3 times a week), the hills and the more relaxed vibe here. That being said, I miss the subway (yes, really. I hate driving), the food, the fashion, the energy and the racial and ethnic diversity of New York. My husband and I toy with the possibility of going back someday, if we can eventually afford to buy something there. Real estate prices seem to get more and more exorbitant, so I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's all about money.

If you make enough in NYC to live a "comfortable" life, there's no reason to leave and many don't. People may reshuffle amongst the boroughs or even Yonker's/Westchester but they don't leave the Metro area.

The cost of living is not high. The Cost of housing and car insurance is particularly high in NYC but almost everything else (food, entertainment, clothing, electronics) can be found for cheaper than even the poorest states in the South. Either way, retailers like Amazon, Costco, Target, etc. have equalized the cost of consumer goods across the country.

Minimum "comfortable" (not paycheck to paycheck but not 10K vacations every year either) for NYC:

Single- $65K
Couple - $90K
Couple with 2 kids- $120K
I agree that peoples' reasons for leaving are largely (though not exclusively) financial, but it's still possible to exceed the thresholds you list and still want to leave for financial reasons.

To me, it's the tax burden more than the COL that is the reason I am trying to leave, despite being well above the income threshold you list for single people. If I am able to move to a state that does not tax income, that saves me 10-12.7% of my income before even spending a penny on housing. NYers can reduce their COL but reducing tax burden would mean reducing income which would lead to less take home income anyway.

IMO, the cost of living is high as business owners (who face high rent or high real estate taxes) pass those costs onto consumers so we overpay for food, groceries, coffee, gyms, nightlife, and other products/services that cannot be purchased online.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Left nearly 25 years ago and it wasn't due to financial instability. You need to move away from listing the big items that bother you and start listing the small things that get on your nerves and compare them to a similar list of why you want to stay. Also the job or career you have must be portable (it gets you a foundation in another state, but later on you can jump to something else). If you have friends who've already made the jump then that bridge will make it easier. Nearly anyone who has made the leap, will tell you that the first five years are not psychologically easy. One needs to keep on making those lists until they are no longer necessary. Do I miss items related to NYC? sure. Are they enough to make me want to move back? Nope.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,249,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
People in the hinterlands want to live in NYC. People in NYC want to live in the hinterlands. lol.

Like the old sayings, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, people always want what they don't have, and when they have it, they don't want it.
this is very true. that is why in nyc, the upper class boasts weekend homes in the hamptons and winter retreats in the islands. if nyc was so fantastic, why do people rush to escape it on holidays. memorial day turns nyc into a ghost town, and christmas is when many people take a train or plane and go "home."

Old 06-12-2016, 04:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
this is very true. that is why in nyc, the upper class boasts weekend homes in the hamptons and winter retreats in the islands. if nyc was so fantastic, why do people rush to escape it on holidays. memorial day turns nyc into a ghost town, and christmas is when many people take a train or plane and go "home."
You can say that about literally anywhere..."Why do people go on vacations if they like it where they live?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City