Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 AM

31 posts, read 47,241 times

Advertisements

MetroStamps, UberStamps and GymStamps are long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xemu View Post
MetroStamps, UberStamps and GymStamps are long overdue.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
This City Council has got to go. Over the past three years are just giving away everything... From feminine hygiene products to whatever else, and now they want to give away Metro Cards as well?

We need a movement to lower NYC taxes; take some of the money off the table so this some kind of mayor and city council can stop spending as if there is no tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:15 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
with drivers getting hammered for most of the costs how about a fund to ease the pain of drivers in nyc . tolls , meters , registration are insane .

Indeed, perhaps issue free cyanide capsules to every driver?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Perhaps employers should help pay the employees' fares back and fore from work rather than subsidize all MTA fares for poor people.
Employers are free to do that, just like how people would be free to donate in this situation.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This City Council has got to go. Over the past three years are just giving away everything... From feminine hygiene products to whatever else, and now they want to give away Metro Cards as well?

We need a movement to lower NYC taxes; take some of the money off the table so this some kind of mayor and city council can stop spending as if there is no tomorrow.
Theyre not giving away MetroCards. They're asking people to donate MetroCards.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
I'm fine with this. Its voluntary - I'd donate. I already often donate at the supermarket/pet store/drug store checkout by adding a dollar or two on my debit card for animal charities, children's charities, medical research etc. Lots of us do.
And unused journeys on cards already paid for... how can anyone object to that.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
If it is a donation i'm okay with it. I think the fare is still affordable though so I would not have been in favor of it being directly subsidized.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,234,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
THE BRONX - A local lawmaker wants a donation-driven fund to help subsidize MetroCards for low-income New Yorkers.

Councilman Fernando Cabrera says a donation system would do the trick. He wants to give card buyers the option to contribute to those struggling to pay their fare. He introduced his plan to City Council last week.

In addition to soliciting donations when MetroCards are sold, the proposal would place money from unused, expired MetroCards in the fund. Cabrera says more than $50 million in cards go unused every year.

Councilmember Wants MetroCard Donation System To Benefit Low-Income Riders: Gothamist
He'd better have a way to make up the $50 million a year he'd be snatching out of the MTA's coffers to pay for this. Unused fares go to pay for service just as much as used fares and are a small but important part of the MTA's budget.

Otherwise, I guess it's harmless, but seems like something the city should be paying for, not donations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City