Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Do you think any high-rise building going up today is not highly levered?
They are much less leveraged now than they were in '07. Banks don't let developers borrow with 0% down nowadays....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Yes, it will crash. Water tables are rising, our infrastructure is crumbling, the next economic down cycle is coming, a terror attack is unquestionably going to happen again, and eventually everyone is going to realize "WTF was I thinking? This place is a f-ing s**t hole! I'm out of here!"

But I hope not, because the value of my place has skyrocketed over the past years! I need some SUCKER to eventually buy it.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They are much less leveraged now than they were in '07. Banks don't let developers borrow with 0% down nowadays....

No small amount of money for these new buildings is coming from EB-5 visas: Related Companies EB 5 | EB 5 Visa Program

There is a reason why you are seeing so many better off Asians all over NYC and the United States recently.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if 2008 did not crash our market odds are thin much else will . we were on the verge of total financial collapse world wide
Sept. 11th, 2008, and Hurricane Sandy. Three major crises did not permanently damage NYC's market. Nothing save the destruction of the city is going to crash NYC's market permanently.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:52 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycotter5678 View Post
This real estate market is about to crash-

What do you think? Looks like there is already an oversupply and aggressive building continues. Foreign buying of NYC real estate has slowed a bit as dollar strengthened. It looks like luxury nyc real estate will take a big hit soon. I wonder if it will trickle down to the outer boroughs as theyve seen prices rise in recent months since manhattan is too expensive. I am in the market to buy but think i will hold off and see what happens.
Just do some research. What happened in the 70s, and then again in the 90s with teh savings and loans and before that in the 1920s. But you will always have those who will say "ohhh but this time is different"! Yeah just like the several other times prices were out of line with local incomes and a crash occurred. I did my first degree in Economics, and one thing you are taught is when market fundamentals are out of wack, there will ALWAYS be a correction, despite wishful thinking.

Light reading to start your search link

Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycotter5678 View Post
This real estate market is about to crash-

What do you think? Looks like there is already an oversupply and aggressive building continues. Foreign buying of NYC real estate has slowed a bit as dollar strengthened. It looks like luxury nyc real estate will take a big hit soon. I wonder if it will trickle down to the outer boroughs as theyve seen prices rise in recent months since manhattan is too expensive. I am in the market to buy but think i will hold off and see what happens.
I have been waiting to buy too since 2014. I believe that we are now on the other side of the peak. the size and depth of the slope are determined by a few factors. even if it does go down very much, the dip will nevertheless make it a buyer's market and give the buyers more options and power to negotiate down a transaction.
sit tight with your cash for that juicy transaction moving slowly towards you....

Old 06-16-2016, 02:19 PM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i thought our manhattan co-ops were in a bubble when we first bought in to the partnership back in the early 2000's . boy was i wrong . they have not stopped going up .

there is always new money dying to get invested here . i couldn't believe we sold 2 apartments in 2008 and for only 10% less then the record high . other areas were collapsing all over the country but we basically snapped right back and never really plunged .

Old 06-16-2016, 02:58 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
who knows, i think there is a huge demand still for housing in NYC. my issue is every potential buyer hopes for a slight crash to get a better deal on a home. However, while you are waiting for the crash that may never come at least in your lifetime, house prices continue to rise and dream of home ownership goes out of reach.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Too many middle class people out here waiting for a crash to help make things affordable again.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
as john templton said , the two most costliest words in the english language have always been thinking "this time is different "

trying to time something rarely works with any asset class .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City