Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,762,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Might not be best solution. I just don't particularly trust the Police Department these days. These cops get super angsty towards end of a month because they have to meet their quotas. They might start harassing some of these kids and actually make situation worse instead of helping. Until systemic issues in police department are addressed they cannot be looked at to help prevent problems. The way stuff is right now you strictly call the cops to clean up after something happened already not to try to prevent problems.
I don't understand why you think cops should be proactive in this environment? There really is no upside for them, only a very big downside. Look at what is happening in Baltimore where those cops were unjustly arrested to save the city from burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
We need more Starbucks.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:37 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Funny thing is, most of these Brooklyn Heights people are Obama-loving white liberals that are all for black and minority causes, EXCEPT when it hits too close to home. LOL.

if the young lads playing at the basketball court were all like Obama, they would have no objection to it.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:58 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We need more Starbucks.

Wouldn't frontal lobotomies work just as well?

Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Might not be best solution. I just don't particularly trust the Police Department these days. These cops get super angsty towards end of a month because they have to meet their quotas. They might start harassing some of these kids and actually make situation worse instead of helping. Until systemic issues in police department are addressed they cannot be looked at to help prevent problems. The way stuff is right now you strictly call the cops to clean up after something happened already not to try to prevent problems.
And people get super angsty around cops. Life is a two way street and while certainly reforms need to be made in all police departments the reality is having a visible police presence helps deter larger issues. The unspoken reality is kids from other neighborhoods are probably coming to these courts because the courts in their own neighborhoods are a shooting/crime scene waiting to happen. Where are they going to go if these courts turn to crap too?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:18 PM

148 posts, read 175,895 times
Strange -- why don't these "concerned residents" simply pool up together and buy some land for some tennis courts -- or even form a community-centered tennis club? Together, with their wealth and connections, I don't see why this isn't possible (would be difficult for one person, but how about 30+ families). Their complaints seem like they want to have their cake (which is fine with me), but have free side items as well ...

Side note: Van Voorhees Park is in the area, but only has two tennis courts, and are frequently overbooked. Perhaps adding lights for nighttime play and giving a (very badly needed) resurfacing to those courts might help.

Last edited by tungt88; 07-03-2016 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: forgot about Van Voorhees Park tennis courts

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungt88 View Post
Strange -- why don't these "concerned residents" simply pool up together and buy some land for some tennis courts -- or even form a community-centered tennis club? Together, with their wealth and connections, I don't see why this isn't possible (would be difficult for one person, but how about 30+ families). Their complaints seem like they want to have their cake (which is fine with me), but have free side items as well ...
lol, WTF are you talking about. First of all, these people don't want tennis courts. What they want is to get rid of ghetto kids being loud and causing trouble in their backyard. There is no land "to buy" anywhere there by the way, and they have plenty of tennis courts to go to in Brooklyn should they want to do that

Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 13,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its not apples and oranges, everybody has to start somewhere.
I played pick-up b-ball as a kid and the courts in the brooklyn i have played on are just like Glacier is describing.....meaning rough places where you have to watch your school bag and hide you phone, wallet, etc... or it might be taken...or places where you can't get a game in because there are people holding down the court, it's life but this is how i saw and experienced it.

YES we ALL start somewhere....but an organized, professional, uniformed, referred, and timed game is NOT equal to a 'street' game, where people 'claim' courts and make their of calls.

It is a public park and it should serve the public community in the area as best as possible

Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,309,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
lol, WTF are you talking about. First of all, these people don't want tennis courts. What they want is to get rid of ghetto kids being loud and causing trouble in their backyard. There is no land "to buy" anywhere there by the way, and they have plenty of tennis courts to go to in Brooklyn should they want to do that
What proof do you have that says otherwise? If a particular sport is popular in a neighborhood and more space is needed for such a sport, I think the community's needs should come first. Why should it be their problem that the basketball courts outside of their community are dangerous or run down? Seems like the core issue here isn't being addressed if these kids are coming from far out areas just to do something they should be able to do in their own community. It's a lot easier to find a scapegoat than address the actual problem isn't it? Additionally, if these kids are causing a ruckus, tell me what community would want such a situation? Would you enjoy fights and violence in your own neighborhood from these teens?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What proof do you have that says otherwise?
because I can read, you should pick up that skill also. Comes in handy
//www.city-data.com/forum/44524859-post1.html

they just want the rowdy kids out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City